The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Warwick Freshers Megathread 2015

Scottish Qualification Results: 3rd August
A-level Results Day 2015: 13th August

Congratulations if you've met your offer and are coming to Warwick this year! :h: Rather than flood the forum with a load of various threads, here's one that you can post in and stuff :tongue:

Adjustment and Clearing: Warwick has places available for certain courses via Adjustment and Clearing, and you can find more information about this on the UCAS Website.

Accommodation and Ask Anything!: There are other megathreads available, including one on Accommodation and one to ask Absolutely Anything, but feel free to ask something here and it should be answered :smile:

For any specific questions about Warwick, there are a number of helpers available on the day. We're all students that are currently at Warwick or have recently graduated. For urgent queries or a general chit chat, please quote me in using the quotes below :smile:

[noparse]
Nirgilis
xx
[/noparse]

If you need to get in touch with Warwick, they have a ''Confirmation Hotline'' available to you to ring, dedicated to serving you guys today and over the next coming days. Please see my other thread: University of Warwick - What happens on results day

Orientation: For international students. This will run from the 29th and more information is available here.

Arrivals Weekend: 3rd and 4th October. You can turn up on either of those dates, from about 9am on the Saturday to move into your accommodation. You will find out which accommodation you have been assigned in the second week of September (typically). Your individual room you've been assigned will not be available until the week before you arrive. They like to tell you to split across the two days depending on your surname, but I would highly recommend turning up on the Saturday regardless.

Courses: These will 'officially' start on Monday the 5th October. DO NOT believe UCAS and turn up on whatever date it says on UCAS this year. This has been wrong for a number of years and don't seem to ever want to fix it. Check your individual department page for more information.

Freshers: This is run alongside lectures, so will start on the 3rd/4th with 2 welcome parties. You will then have 2 weeks of freshers events, but you will be expected to attend lectures as well.

Societies and Sports clubs: Start browsing guys! :tongue: . Societies and Sports

Look forward to the best 3/4 years of your life! :ahee:
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
BREAKING NEWS from WARWICK STUDENT'S UNION: (This page shall be updated on the 13th August...).

http://www.warwicksu.com/freshers/

Freshers 2015 line-up announced:

3rd October: Club MTV Welcome Party
4th October: Club MTV Welcome Party
5th October: Rave of Thrones feat. Hodor
6th October: Warwick Snow presents Avalanche and Unplucked!
7th October: Pop! and Quackstar Karaoke!
8th October: Mixology and Coffee House Sessions!
9th October:
10th October: Live Gig - TBC and Crash!
11th October:
12th October: Hall Wars!
13th October: Latin Night and un-plucked!
14th October: Pop! and Quackstar Karaoke!
15th October: Coffee House Sessions!
16th October: Freshers Party 2015!
17th October: Saturday Session
18th October: Comedy Society presents...

You freshers will have a lot in store for your first few weeks! :biggrin:

Individual tickets will go on sale (projected) on the 16th of September. Individual SU tickets will be in the region of £3-6 depending on the event, maybe more for special events. In order to buy tickets you will need to register for an ITS user account, which you do when you enrol (from the __th of September). All tickets are stored electronically on your university card and so there will be no physical need to collect a ticket.

Freshers Passport: This will cost £__ and will get you into all union events from 5th October to __th October (inclusive)

Platinum Pass: This will cost around £___ and will get you into all union events all year!

Freshers T-Shirts: You can buy these at around £_. **May include entry to the Welcome Parties on the 273rd/4th, but not guaranteed or confirmed**

Information for Under-18s: Due to problems with letting in under-18s in the past, you will, unfortunately, not be allowed entry to the clubnights. The SU have gotten a little bit better this over the years with non-drinking events, but it has been poorly advertised on the website compared with other universities who have special, 'non-drinking' sections of their website (something that has always bugged me about the SU). However, the starred events are available for Under-18s or non-drinkers. There may be alcohol available at these events, but you will be ID'd.

Fresher's Fair: Essentially your chance to turn up and get lots and lots of free goodies! This will run in the SU all day Saturday and all day Sunday, and is essentially the big company's opportunity to throw free items and leaflets at you. There will be useful information there as well, such as signing up for job websites, or getting that bit extra contents insurance. Go along anyway if none of this interests you, Domino's will be giving out free pizza all day! :ahee:

Indoor Market: On the 5th of October. This is essentially just a market. Pick up some cheap DVDs or clothes, and maybe some cakes!

Sports Fair: 6th October. This is the sports club's chance to throw THEIR advertising at you! Go along if you want to chat about anything to any of the sports clubs! They're all student run, and all very friendly! Who knows? Maybe Water Polo is your next big thing!

Society Fair: As for the sports fairs, this is your chance to have a browse of some of the societies that are on offer here at Warwick. As the university with most in the country, there will be something for everybody! This will be held on the 7th and 8th October.

Democracy and Campaigning Fair: Fancy getting involved in union politics? Well this is your chance to find out more! You'll even be able to nominate yourself for the Union Council if you feel like getting involved straight away! This is on the __nd October.

Volunteering Fair: On the 9th of October, Warwick Volunteers will be available from 10-3.30 to field any questions about volunteering here at Warwick. There're all sorts of projects, from volunteering at schools to digging and chopping in the woods to painting murals!

This page will be updated on the 13th August following releases from the SU reps...
(edited 8 years ago)
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Reply 2
Anyone from Scotland get into Warwick today? :awesome:
Reply 3
Welcome everyone to Warwick University :awesome:

Quote me in at any time with the following tags :biggrin:

[noparse]
Nirgilis
x
[/noparse]
So much excitement
A*A*AB + Dist + I in S1. P chuffed and annoyed that I worried for so long...

Original post by EXTREMEninja
So much excitement

sup la
Original post by fatart123
a*a*ab + dist + i in s1. P chuffed and annoyed that i worried for so long...

Sup la

woooo warwick buddies
Original post by EXTREMEninja
woooo warwick buddies

yep
Reply 8
Right, time to start updating the SU post :awesome:
Reply 9
@fatart123 @EXTREMEninja

The SU have started updating some information. Check it out in Post #2! :awesome:
I just got my place confirmed through UCAS. Do I have to do anything now? There's a section in the Warwick website which says to upload a picture for the ID card. Or will I get an email explaining everything?
Reply 11
Original post by Hedgehogkilla
I just got my place confirmed through UCAS. Do I have to do anything now? There's a section in the Warwick website which says to upload a picture for the ID card. Or will I get an email explaining everything?

Get on with what the website says :awesome:
So jealous of all you guys starting this year! Wish I could go back 3 years and do it all again!
Reply 13
Got in with A*A*A*A*1, can't wait.

Original post by Hedgehogkilla

Well my letter says you don't have to do anything and email says wait for them to email again basically. Probably worth doing that ID thing although I haven't seen it. :colondollar:
Reply 14
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
Got in with A*A*A*A*1, can't wait.

Wow! Congratulations! :biggrin:

Look forward to a great few years! :biggrin:
Reply 15
Original post by Nirgilis
Wow! Congratulations! :biggrin:

Look forward to a great few years! :biggrin:

Thank-you. :smile: I will, provided I cope with the course so that they are great years. :colondollar: By the way regarding the mentioning of a Student ID photo on the Warwick website before...I actually embarrassingly can't remember where this is supposed to be done? Don't remember ever logging in to anything to be honest though I probably did..any knowledge/help on this front would be appreciated. :redface:
Reply 16
Thank-you. :smile: I will, provided I cope with the course so that they are great years. :colondollar: By the way regarding the mentioning of a Student ID photo on the Warwick website before...I actually embarrassingly can't remember where this is supposed to be done? Don't remember ever logging in to anything to be honest though I probably did..any knowledge/help on this front would be appreciated. :redface:

I believe they are on the Welcome to Warwick pages :biggrin:
Reply 17
I believe they are on the Welcome to Warwick pages :biggrin:

Ah thanks. Warwick haven't sent me an email to guide me through enrolment yet though promising to do so "soon", should they have? :s-smilie:
Reply 18
Ah thanks. Warwick haven't sent me an email to guide me through enrolment yet though promising to do so "soon", should they have? :s-smilie:

Not necessarily :tongue: . Warwick have been notorious for not getting in touch with students for another week or two, so don't worry too much :wink:
Reply 19
Not necessarily :tongue: . Warwick have been notorious for not getting in touch with students for another week or two, so don't worry too much :wink:

Fair enough, thank-you again. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest