The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Do you want to go to Durham Yes/No?
Do you want to put up with a gap year Yes/No?
If N and Y then go for it, otherwise don't.

As a slight aside, the fact that you got rejected 4 times demonstrates that you kinda must have ****ed up somewhere...
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
Why not hold your place at Durham until the publication of your A-Level results, then, if you get your predicted straight As, withdraw and then reapply (assuming that you'll still want to in the summer!)? That way you lose nothing and it gives you time to weigh things up - worse case scenario you don't get into Oxo and end up at Durham a year later!
Reply 3
You could do that too. Assuming Durham will let you defer the place.
Reply 4
but what happens if you are then rejected from oxford and you lose your place at durham too?
Reply 5
nooooo offence BUT: you've got 6A*s at gcse and AABB at AS which is, don't get me wrong, very good and good enough for oxford.
but, fact is some people have better grades and dont get in. I'm bascally saying:dont think you've been cheated (and here comes the harsh truth that needs saying) you're obv not good enough - just like me! I got rejected with A*s and As also coming out my ass but ive realised two things:
the other people must've been better than me
durham/york are amazing unis (esp durham).

people on this website tiptoe around the point too much.

i believe that turning down great unis, potentially wasting a year of your life and reapplying to a uni which is sooo competative and maybe we're not good enough for, is ridiculous.
sorry for the harsh-but-trueities.
Reply 6
you should think about the fact that St.Chads is considered a very "special" place...for men who like men..a bit too much.
Reply 7
Do shut up.
Reply 8
abrp
you should think about the fact that St.Chads is considered a very "special" place...for men who like men..a bit too much.

Wot?
IainC
Hi, I applied for SPS at Cambridge and didn't get in, basically what are peoples views on re-application for ether PPE at Oxford and Perhaps Theology at Oxford, (assuming I do get AAA in the summer)

OR

Should I take up my place at St Chads Durham for Politics?

(PS I don't want this to become and Oxbridge/Durham Slanging match)

Your applying for really popular course. Most people who apply to top unis like oxford apply there with mostly A* at GCSE and all As at AS level (and only a few of those get in [ok there is the wierd person who gets in with Bs and Cs but that happend very rarely]). Obviously grades are dependent on your school and unless u go to a really poor state school in London I don't think you'll get in second time round either (no offence ment I applied with average grades too). Keep your place at St Chads till the summer when u get ur results. Unless ur results are amazingly good go to St Chads. If your results are brilliant and u want to go for Oxford again bare in mind St Chads might not allow you to defer ur place and you might not get it second time round. Also if durham is ur second choice b glad uv got that.
Reply 10
abrp seems to become more of a moron with every post of his I read.
Reply 11
Becca
Wot?

The implication is that the college is gay...did that really need explaining?
Reply 12
Oh, and you cannot apply anywhere while holding a deferred place, how many freaking times do people on here need telling?
Ronove
Oh, and you cannot apply anywhere while holding a deferred place, how many freaking times do people on here need telling?

I thought you could ask ur uni to hold ur place and then u r able to apply elsewhere. Its the same way as you do it if you go to the uni and ask to re-enter into ucas (again if they'll let u)
Reply 14
No, it's not the same. You are not allowed to do it.
You can ask a university if they'll make you an offer again if you reapply, and they can tell you they will if they want (but you'll have nothing against them if they end up not doing that).
Reply 15
Thanks to everyone but abrp - what grounds have u for sugesting that St Chads is "Gay" ???

Any more oppinions about re application welcome
Reply 16
If I were you I'd reapply...I think to get rejected from Warwick, Brizzle and Cambridge witrh your grades is a bit wierd...work on your PS and reapply if you aren't happy with durham.
Reply 17
a) popular course
b) over 20% of A level grades are As nowadays
c) you are not allowed to reapply with a deferred place anyway
d) Durham probably won't let you defer (they didn't let me - I had to reapply)

Basically, don't reapply *just* for Oxbridge. I genuinely wanted a gap year, and Durham wouldn't let me defer, so I did. I would have been so gutted if I'd been rejected by Durham the second time round. Luckily I wasn't, but to be honest the admissions system is such a lottery these days that it wouldn't have been too shocking if I had. Chad's is competitive, too, so you did well not to be pooled.

As someone said, you can wait until you get your A level results before withdrawing from university ... I was so unsure about it, due to top-up fees, that I waited until the day before the deadline (beginning of September?) to send UCAS the little slip they send you post-results, saying that I didn't want the place. Durham were probably really pissed off. I'm glad they didn't hold it against me.
Reply 18
To be honest i'm kind of in a similar predicament. I applied for English at Oxford but was rejected without an interview, and perhaps set my heart too much on the place. If I don't get into Durham in deffo re-applying, but as I havent visited Durham yet I can't really make any decision until i have :s-smilie:
Reply 19
AdamTJ
The implication is that the college is gay...did that really need explaining?

I knew what he was on about...It was a dismissive "you are an idiot" 'Wot?'
Note the spelling. :biggrin:

Latest