The Student Room Group

BMI too low for med school

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by juliam
It's not discrimination if reasonable adjustments can't be made. If a medical school has good reason to believe your ill health could be exaccerbated by medical school, or affect your learning or your future patients, then they can refuse to accept you. That's not discrimination, that's just following GMC guidelines.

Except that a blanket policy of 'under a BMI of 17', ignoring documented improvement to the applicant's condition, would be difficult to justify in that way.
Original post by Ezme39
I am a medicine applicant for 2015 entry, and I have two offers.

One of these (my insurance choice) invited me for an appointment with occupational health, and I was told that it was "routine for my cohort"- I was therefore very upset to find out that this was not the case. In fact, it was because they were intending to reject me from the medical school if my BMI was still below 17, as it was on my medical form. I have had an eating disorder in the past, but have increased my weight by 6kg since Christmas.

Luckily, my BMI came out as above this level, but I am still very upset. I feel like I was being targeted, and invited there under false pretences. I was also asked to send a copy of a letter from the psychologist who last assessed me, to "corroborate my story", before they will deem my assessment acceptable.

Could they have actually rejected me? I was always told that medical schools conduct these appointments to offer support to their students, but this particular university says that their policy has always been to reject applicants with a BMI below 17. I realise that there is a "potential risk to patients", but they surely should have set out this policy earlier in the application process? It feels like they are discriminating against me.

Thoughts??

I'm with you Ezme , you were clearly upset and shocked to find out why the interview was being asked for.
I believe everything should be clear and above board, with no nasty surprises, so ALL reasons not to accept students should be included in the application pack.

You have obviously survived through the rigours of A-levels and feel confident enough to invest serious money into a degree, I feel just asking you along so they can have a look at you is discrimination in todays world, and a bit of a cheek considering the distance and expense.
By all means ask every applicant to provide a doctors fitness note, but not this type of singling guys out, it just doesn't feel fair, if they asked me along and wanted me to strip off for them the air would turn blue.
Reply 22
Original post by Ronove
Except that a blanket policy of 'under a BMI of 17', ignoring documented improvement to the applicant's condition, would be difficult to justify in that way.

A BMI a under 17 puts the applicant at risk of serious health problems in the short term, and shows they aren't fully recovered from their eating disorder (the diagnosis won't be lifted until they're a healthy weight, regardless of how they feel). Medical schools don't accept anyone with these risks; it's not discrimination against those with eating disorders, it's choosing who to invest half a million pounds of NHS money into. They obviously want to choose the people most likely to make it to the end of the course, and practice as a doctor. Having anorexia can haul you up in front of a fitness to practice committee at any stage of your career.
Reply 23
I think this policy links back to the dodgy practice of measuring the severity of an eating disorder using BMI, a practice which ought to be eradicated rapidly.
Original post by juliam
It's not discrimination if reasonable adjustments can't be made. If a medical school has good reason to believe your ill health could be exaccerbated by medical school, or affect your learning or your future patients, then they can refuse to accept you. That's not discrimination, that's just following GMC guidelines.

Nonsense.

The proportion of the applying population that has a history of depression, diagnosed dyslexia, dyspraxia, other medical conditions... if you want to make the 'oh you might not make it through' argument you've got a lot of people to exclude. 'Reasonable adjustment' includes absorbing a risk that students might become ill. A blanket policy of 'BMI<17' without any context is totally unjustifiable.

Original post by juliam
A BMI a under 17 puts the applicant at risk of serious health problems in the short term,

The biggest risk is that you lose further weight for most people. There are a good few people out there for who that is their normal BMI. That would be a high BMI for a tall distance runner for instance.

and shows they aren't fully recovered from their eating disorder (the diagnosis won't be lifted until they're a healthy weight

Gross over-simplification. It might be.

Medical schools don't accept anyone with these risks;

Yes they do. All the time. There are med students with schizophrenia, serious disabilities, life limiting illnesses.

They obviously want to choose the people most likely to make it to the end of the course, and practice as a doctor.

Its a consideration but its not really how it works wrt disability. There is no difference between arguing that a depressed person might waste money by dropping out, and a wheelchair-bound person would waste money by requiring ramps. Whatever your personal opinion, the Disabilities Discrimination Act has decided that making reasonable adjustment is a requirement. As such you have to take each case on its own merit and that is clearly not done by just measuring BMI.

Having anorexia can haul you up in front of a fitness to practice committee at any stage of your career.

It might, but it probably won't. More likely is that if you were to deteriorate your friends, family and colleagues will get you help and you might have to take some time off. You make it sound like being ill is a disciplinary offence.
Reply 25
Original post by nexttime
Nonsense.

The proportion of the applying population that has a history of depression, diagnosed dyslexia, dyspraxia, other medical conditions... if you want to make the 'oh you might not make it through' argument you've got a lot of people to exclude. 'Reasonable adjustment' includes absorbing a risk that students might become ill. A blanket policy of 'BMI<17' without any context is totally unjustifiable.

The biggest risk is that you lose further weight for most people. There are a good few people out there for who that is their normal BMI. That would be a high BMI for a tall distance runner for instance.

Gross over-simplification. It might be.

Yes they do. All the time. There are med students with schizophrenia, serious disabilities, life limiting illnesses.

Its a consideration but its not really how it works wrt disability. There is no difference between arguing that a depressed person might waste money by dropping out, and a wheelchair-bound person would waste money by requiring ramps. Whatever your personal opinion, the Disabilities Discrimination Act has decided that making reasonable adjustment is a requirement. As such you have to take each case on its own merit and that is clearly not done by just measuring BMI.

It might, but it probably won't. More likely is that if you were to deteriorate your friends, family and colleagues will get you help and you might have to take some time off. You make it sound like being ill is a disciplinary offence.

I'm a 'disabled' medical student, with similar issues.
I don't agree with the NHS policy of measuring the severity of eating disorders by BMI, but it's done, which might explain the origins of the university's policy. The context of BMI <17 is in applicants with eating disorders; most people aren't weighed to start, which then excludes everyone with a 'normal' BMI of 16.9 (of which there are hardly any).
The diagnosis won't be lifted until she's a healthy weight; at least not if NICE and SIGN guidelines are being followed. That's diagnostic criteria for you.
When I went for my fitness to practice interview, I just had to prove I was in treatment, had been in treatment for some time and was complying with it all. I think that would be a better way of managing this case, too.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by juliam

I don't agree with the NHS policy of measuring the severity of eating disorders by BMI, but it's done, which might explain the origins of the university's policy..

The diagnosis won't be lifted until she's a healthy weight; at least not if NICE and SIGN guidelines are being followed.

The very first point of the NICE anorexia guidance is:

"In anorexia nervosa, although weight and BMI are important indicators they should not be considered the sole indicators of physical risk (as they are unreliable in adults and especially in children)."

There is no target BMI.

Thanks for sharing your experience.
Reply 27
Original post by Ezme39
I am a medicine applicant for 2015 entry, and I have two offers.

One of these (my insurance choice) invited me for an appointment with occupational health, and I was told that it was "routine for my cohort"- I was therefore very upset to find out that this was not the case. In fact, it was because they were intending to reject me from the medical school if my BMI was still below 17, as it was on my medical form. I have had an eating disorder in the past, but have increased my weight by 6kg since Christmas.

Luckily, my BMI came out as above this level, but I am still very upset. I feel like I was being targeted, and invited there under false pretences. I was also asked to send a copy of a letter from the psychologist who last assessed me, to "corroborate my story", before they will deem my assessment acceptable.

Could they have actually rejected me? I was always told that medical schools conduct these appointments to offer support to their students, but this particular university says that their policy has always been to reject applicants with a BMI below 17. I realise that there is a "potential risk to patients", but they surely should have set out this policy earlier in the application process? It feels like they are discriminating against me.

Thoughts??

OP, I'm really sorry you had to go through this and am really surprised that a med school actually did this.

I fail to see how having a low weight/BMI in itself poses a barrier to practising as a doctor or is a danger to patients, so I can't believe how they can have a policy which excludes people purely on the basis of a low BMI. The only potential issue with anorexia is the other psychiatric problems associated with it. And as nexttime has said there are a lot of medics and doctors with depression etc. who practice just fine. If you've had a history of these as well this might be why you've been called up.
But I think they should be offering you support and potentially offering you things like a leave of absence if you do have problems and not just straight up reject you (which I think would be illegal).

Some people have said that this is a blanket GMC/NHS policy but that is BS. The occupational health checks mostly relate to things like vaccinations and transmissible diseases and not mental health. I don't recall ever being asked about my mental health or weighed for my health checks at medical school and I know some people who have anorexia who I'm pretty sure never had any further tests or checks before starting.

Just to chip in my own personal story, I have a long term physical illness for which I haven't had any problems at uni yet, but probability dictates that I likely will before I graduate and will have to miss a number of months for treatment. When I mentioned this at my occupational health meeting at the beginning all they did was refer me to the local doctor so they were aware of my predicament and assured me that I would be offered a leave of absence or the option to repeat a year if I missed too much.

I think your case is similar to mine and shouldn't pose any problems as well.
Also you said it was just your insurance choice which asked for this, chances are you'll get into your firm, they might not mind and you can forget all about this :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending