The Student Room Group

What is a philosophy degree all about?

I have to decide this year my choices for university, I am having a gap year but still have to apply. I am extremely interested in doing American and Canadian studies but I cannot do the degree with French in any uni. I am also interested in philosophy, which comes joint with French in most uni's but I don't really know what it's about, could someone please tell me?
You couldn't do a joint-honours course? At Exeter, for example, there is something called 'Flexible Combined Honours' which essentially allows you to mix in anything you wanted. I would suggest that philosophy is a more serious subject than North American Studies, so bias or priority should be given to that.

Philosophy is the thinking about thinking and ideas. It's a logical subject and sets the foundation for all other subjects. For example, epistemology provides the foundation for knowledge and discusses the fine line between knowledge and belief. This is obviously relevant to sciences but also it's relevant to all other academic subjects. Each subject requires you to think critically about ideas and this is why people who study postgraduate at a high level, taking original angles and evaluating axioms of a subject, do PhDs/MPhils, They are philosophers.
Reply 2
Original post by Pewdie3.14
You couldn't do a joint-honours course? At Exeter, for example, there is something called 'Flexible Combined Honours' which essentially allows you to mix in anything you wanted. I would suggest that philosophy is a more serious subject than North American Studies, so bias or priority should be given to that.

Philosophy is the thinking about thinking and ideas. It's a logical subject and sets the foundation for all other subjects. For example, epistemology provides the foundation for knowledge and discusses the fine line between knowledge and belief. This is obviously relevant to sciences but also it's relevant to all other academic subjects. Each subject requires you to think critically about ideas and this is why people who study postgraduate at a high level, taking original angles and evaluating axioms of a subject, do PhDs/MPhils, They are philosophers.

Thank you very much, I had a look at the Exeter flexi courses but looks like U.S studies isn't offered there anyway! I think I may be back to the drawing board, I am not 100% sure I want to commit to philosophy as I have never studied anything like it! Thanks for the input.

Quick Reply

Latest