The Student Room Group

Change of circumstances - Fees

My son's circumstances have changed and it is uncertain as to whether he will be in a position to take up his place on a Foundation Degree. How long does he have to notify the Learning provider before he will be liable for the fees?
Original post by jmarilyn
My son's circumstances have changed and it is uncertain as to whether he will be in a position to take up his place on a Foundation Degree. How long does he have to notify the Learning provider before he will be liable for the fees?

As long as he doesnt enrol until he knows what hes doing then he shouldnt be liable
Original post by claireestelle
As long as he doesnt enrol until he knows what hes doing then he shouldnt be liable

So if uni begins but you don't attend due to your circumstances does that mean you are not liable for fees?
Original post by Simonthegreat
So if uni begins but you don't attend due to your circumstances does that mean you are not liable for fees?

You would have had to have not enrolled and withdrawn from the uni, sorry should have made myself clearer.
As long as your son doesn't enroll physically at the university to confirm attendance, no funds in the form of the tuition loan OR the maintenance loans/grants will be transferred so he can terminate safely up till that point.
Original post by marco14196
As long as your son doesn't enroll physically at the university to confirm attendance, no funds in the form of the tuition loan OR the maintenance loans/grants will be transferred so he can terminate safely up till that point.

I am confused. If you have confirmed your place at uni but then don't physically turn up when the course starts you are not liable. Is that correct? What happens to your place if you reject it after the course has started? Will someone else get the place or will it be wasted?
I am confused. If you have confirmed your place at uni but then don't physically turn up when the course starts you are not liable. Is that correct? What happens to your place if you reject it after the course has started? Will someone else get the place or will it be wasted?

I know because this happened to me last year. I had registered for student finance and did make it to the university for 3 days. On the 4th day, I would have had to have confirmed my attendance with them and then they would transfer through all of the loans. I had a surgery in the June of that year and ended up having to leave because of it. As long as you DON'T register your attendance at the university before choosing to leave, no money will go through and all you have to do is phone student finance with your details to cancel
I know because this happened to me last year. I had registered for student finance and did make it to the university for 3 days. On the 4th day, I would have had to have confirmed my attendance with them and then they would transfer through all of the loans. I had a surgery in the June of that year and ended up having to leave because of it. As long as you DON'T register your attendance at the university before choosing to leave, no money will go through and all you have to do is phone student finance with your details to cancel

Are you ok now? Are you going this year?
Original post by claireestelle
You would have had to have not enrolled and withdrawn from the uni, sorry should have made myself clearer.

Okay that makes sense now. Thanks.
Are you ok now? Are you going this year?

I was BUT I changed my mind. I terminated my place on a foundation course to get onto a degree because I've chosen to get into the navy(my Dad is well linked so its advantageous to me)
I was BUT I changed my mind. I terminated my place on a foundation course to get onto a degree because I've chosen to get into the navy(my Dad is well linked so its advantageous to me)

So glad you are ok now and everything is sorted. Good luck in your career.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending