The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

HOMESTAY for Arab / Muslim University Student

Hi,
I have a Homestay available for an Arab / Muslim University student for a period of approximately 5 months. Mon - Friday = Breakfast and cooked evening meal included and weekends = Breakfast, Afternoon and Evening meals included.

We are a married couple and have no children - and have let to University students before on a Homestay basis - through the University Manchester Language Centre - References from previous tenants can be made available.

You may contact me on 07989-321-8-21 ( or from overseas 0044-7989-321-8-21) - or watts app.

With warm Regards

Mr Wasim Haque

PS The house is in Manchester - close to bus stops to Oxford Road and Piccadilly
Original post by HAK21
Hi,
I have a Homestay available for an Arab / Muslim University student for a period of approximately 5 months. Mon - Friday = Breakfast and cooked evening meal included and weekends = Breakfast, Afternoon and Evening meals included.

We are a married couple and have no children - and have let to University students before on a Homestay basis - through the University Manchester Language Centre - References from previous tenants can be made available.

You may contact me on 07989-321-8-21 ( or from overseas 0044-7989-321-8-21) - or watts app.

With warm Regards

Mr Wasim Haque

PS The house is in Manchester - close to bus stops to Oxford Road and Piccadilly

Your advert is not only racist (and I have no doubt that you would object to an advert that stated "no Arabs / Muslims" ) it is also thoroughly illegal under the Equality Act 2010 - you can't refuse to let to someone on the basis of their ethnicity, religion or national identity.

Posted from TSR Mobile
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Discrimination on grounds of race is always illegal. However, expressing a preference for a tenant of a particular religious belief may not be where facilties are shared with the host family. Presumably Homestay has something in their paperwork about hosts complying with the laws of the country they reside in, although it's not immediately apparent on their website.
Reply 3
It's not racist and neither am I.
The Equality Act applies to employment - not tenancies. Grow up!!
I will not be making any more such replies to any other comments such as yours on this platform to any one else.

My advert States clearly who I want to allow inside my house as a tenant.

If you have nothing constructive to say - stay quiet. Stop judging others when you don't even know them!
Original post by HAK21
I will not be making any more such replies to any other comments such as yours on this platform to any one else.

If you have nothing constructive to say - stay quiet. Stop judging others when you don't even know them!

Deciding who you will and won't allow to stay in your home based on race is racial discrimination, no matter how vehemently you deny it. The defensiveness of your response also makes it sound like this isn't the first time someone's accused you of being prejudiced.
Original post by Isinglass
Discrimination on grounds of race is always illegal. However, expressing a preference for a tenant of a particular religious belief may not be where facilties are shared with the host family. Presumably Homestay has something in their paperwork about hosts complying with the laws of the country they reside in, although it's not immediately apparent on their website.

It sounds like the OP has previously let to students via the University, but is now trying to let directly. Homestay in this context is a type of accommodation (like the term houseshare) rather than a brand name. They are not just expressing a preference for a particular race / religion, they have said that it is only available to such people.

Having looked into it further, it seems that there is some debate about whether or not it's illegal when it's a live in landlord, though it seems likely that it is illegal http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-18588612

Original post by HAK21

Providing someone with less favourable treatment on the basis of their ethnicity / religion IS racist. If you will not rent to a Chinese / white / Hindu / atheist person, then that is discrimination and it's just as wrong as it would be if you were a white landlord and refused to let to a Muslim / Arab person.

The Equality Act applies in a wide variety of situations (anyone providing goods, facilities or services to the public) - not just employment. It most definitely does apply to tenancies http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-24372509 - thankfully, we have moved on from the "no blacks, no dogs, no Irish" adverts of the past.

By refusing to let to anyone who does not share your ethnicity / religion, you are, by definition, judging others before you have even had any contact with that individual. I am simply calling you out on it - and your overly defensive response suggests that you know, deep down, that you are in the wrong here.
Reply 6
If it is wrong - which I was not aware of - then i want to know how to remove the advert and cause no offence to anyone.

Can some one tell me how to remove the advert? I am new to this website and this was the first time I used it / saw it.

I'm not racist and have never been called a racist ever before - to conclude - i let many properties in Manchester and London and in the past 12 years have let to people from ALL over the world, including Africa, America, Japan, China, India, Turkey, Egypt - all over Europe, Eastern Europe etc - etc... My advert above is just a personal choice for the kind of person I want in my own home, personal space. It in no way implies I am racist - I have friends from all races and communities and countries as my international line of work takes me to different places... So firstly, I apologise and secondly - it should be clear to you that I am not racist in any way. If anyone can tell me how to remove the advert - I will be happy to do so.

My advert was to accommodate some one in my house ( I pay a mortgage on this house and now have a spare room available - thats all) - not to offend anyone. I think you now get the picture.
Not taking sides, but maybe what the OP meant was that there's a spare room that would be most suitable for a student who, as per their religion, would prefer to live somewhere with presumably no alcohol, non-halal food or, for veiled ladies, men (besides OP) present, and where they could speak Arabic rather than English, which may not be their mothertongue? In the same way that a kashrut-observing Jewish couple may have a spare room for a kashrut-observing Jewish student wanting accommodation with a kitchen with two of each feature to separate diary from meat, which they most likely wouldn't find otherwise? Just an assumption, in which case OP made the mistake of not distinguishing "most suitable for," from "only for." Racism comes into play if, as you say, he does mean "only for," but even then I'm torn - I may be biased but most other people can find accommodation literally anywhere else, why not cordon this one off for people requiring something more specific?

Hm. I don't know. I could be wrong (I sound sarcastic, but I honestly don't mean to be). :h: Anyway, best wishes to people on both sides of the argument! Hehe.
(edited 8 years ago)
Yah I don't think OP is being racist. I am Arab myself so I can understand why they would prefer to have someone of a similar faith & culture seeing as there's certain traditions and rules that they abide by. It would be a bit awkward for non-Muslims/Arabs I presume, since they probably don't want your everyday uni student bringing girls back home and pounding them. You guys need to chill.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Emstein A.
Not taking sides, but maybe what the OP meant was that there's a spare room that would be most suitable for a student who, as per their religion, would prefer to live somewhere with presumably no alcohol, non-haram food or, for veiled ladies, men (besides OP) present, and where they could speak Arabic rather than English, which may not be their mothertongue? In the same way that a kashrut-observing Jewish couple may have a spare room for a kashrut-observing Jewish student wanting accommodation with a kitchen with two of each feature to separate diary from meat, which they most likely wouldn't find otherwise? Just an assumption, in which case OP made the mistake of not distinguishing "most suitable for," from "only for." Racism comes into play if, as you say, he does mean "only for," but even then I'm torn - I may be biased but most other people can find accommodation literally anywhere else, why not cordon this one off for people requiring something more specific?

Hm. I don't know. I could be wrong (I sound sarcastic, but I honestly don't mean to be). :h: Anyway, best wishes to people on both sides of the argument! Hehe.

I see what you're saying, though the way to word such an advert (so as to stay within the law) would be to say that the landlord is an orthodox Jew, and that any prospective tenant would be expected to obey by all kosher dietary laws while inside the house.

Such an advert does not exclude non-Jews, but there are probably limited numbers of such people who are willing to give up their ham and cheese toasties for the sake of a tenancy.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Origami Bullets
I see what you're saying, though the way to word such an advert (so as to stay within the law) would be to say that the landlord is an orthodox Jew, and that any prospective tenant would be expected to obey by all kosher dietary laws while inside the house.

Such an advert does not exclude non-Jews, but there are probably limited numbers of such people who are willing to give up their ham and cheese toasties for the sake of a tenancy.

Posted from TSR Mobile

... thus indirectly singling out those who are willing. Gotcha! :wink: Wording is everything, isn't it?

But yes, I think that you hit the nail on the head here.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 11
LOL he's not being racist.
Reply 12
Original post by HAK21
Hi,

With warm Regards

Mr Wasim Haque

Salam Mr Wasim Haque, I am Nurul, a muslim student from Singapore. I would like to enquire if your homestay have any available room for the whole month of July next year. If there is available room, can I know how much is the charges? Thanks for your attention and hope to see your reply soon.
Reply 13
Original post by iqa_aqi
Salam Mr Wasim Haque, I am Nurul, a muslim student from Singapore. I would like to enquire if your homestay have any available room for the whole month of July next year. If there is available room, can I know how much is the charges? Thanks for your attention and hope to see your reply soon.

Please watts app me on my number given above. or leave you number by text / SMS and I will try to contact you - i am in the mosque today so anytime over the weekend.

Thank you

Mr HAK
Why is it racist? Afterall he's letting a part of his own house, the place where he lives and where his wife lives, to someone else. An observant Muslim and a non-Muslim will have an incredibly hard time living together.
Leaving aside the first point, wouldn't that depend on how tolerant both parties were? Which one would you suppose to be the less tolerant of the other's way of life?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Isinglass
Leaving aside the first point, wouldn't that depend on how tolerant both parties were? Which one would you suppose to be the less tolerant of the other's way of life?

Both. A non-Muslim wouldn't want to live with someone who doesn't allow ham, wine or having sex with your girlfriend in their house. A Muslim wouldn't want to live with someone who does exactly that. So it wouldn't be convenient.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending