The Student Room Group
De Montfort University
De Montfort University
Leicester
Visit website

Starting first year in Sept alittle older.

Hey, I'm starting my first year in September, i'm 21 and was just wondering if theres many other "mature students", as that's what i am apparntly. I'm just abit worried about being, not so much left out, idk excluded for being abit older.
I know it's a silly thing to be worried about, but i just wondered if anyone else felt like this. It's not like i act older in anyway what so ever. I'm staying in halls, (New Wharf Hall) so presumingly everyone will be 18/19, so yknow what do you think?
There's a mature student society
https://www.demontfortstudents.com/soc/DMUMatureStudents/

In my computer science lecture, there were a few elder people, at least 8 or 9
De Montfort University
De Montfort University
Leicester
Visit website
Original post by Rilaona
Hey, I'm starting my first year in September, i'm 21 and was just wondering if theres many other "mature students", as that's what i am apparntly. I'm just abit worried about being, not so much left out, idk excluded for being abit older.
I know it's a silly thing to be worried about, but i just wondered if anyone else felt like this. It's not like i act older in anyway what so ever. I'm staying in halls, (New Wharf Hall) so presumingly everyone will be 18/19, so yknow what do you think?

Hello,

I'm not a mature student but on my course in first year, we had a couple of 'mature students' - our oldest was 26 I believe and honestly, age doesn't matter. Everyone gets a long and acts the same really, like I said, age doesn't affect the way you make friends.

You won't be left out. You'll be fine!
Just be yourself.:biggrin:
Reply 3
Original post by migh_and_highty
There's a mature student society
https://www.demontfortstudents.com/soc/DMUMatureStudents/

In my computer science lecture, there were a few elder people, at least 8 or 9

Ahh thanks, but reading through it's not really my thing. Honestly i think i was just being silly, i'm sure i'll be fine. But thank you. :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by JustGeorgeJ
Hello,

I'm not a mature student but on my course in first year, we had a couple of 'mature students' - our oldest was 26 I believe and honestly, age doesn't matter. Everyone gets a long and acts the same really, like I said, age doesn't affect the way you make friends.

You won't be left out. You'll be fine!
Just be yourself.:biggrin:

Yeah i was just being silly i think. I just need to chill, I don't look older anyway i have a baby face, so i doubt age will even come up. But thanks!
I'll be progressing on from my foundation year in computing to my first year doing software engineering I was 20 in foundation year and there were a few others around that age I'm now 21 I don't think it will be a big deal tbh
Original post by Rilaona

Am in the same boat as u we should be fine just don't let the nervous hit u
All the best
Original post by Rilaona
Hey, I'm starting my first year in September, i'm 21 and was just wondering if theres many other "mature students", as that's what i am apparntly.

No one will notice or care. The only thing you will notice are that some of those a few years younger than you will seem a little immature. When I started my first year in higher ed I was 21 too, nearly 22. about 40% of the year was fresh out of sixth form, 40% 20-24 and the rest a bit older.
Hey I will be 20 in January and I'm stopping in new wharf as well :smile:. I'm not a big drinker or going out person I prefer to sit in and snuggle up watching a film. So I feel like I won't fit in that much either :/ also does anyone know how we find out what books we will need. I want to start getting them but I have no idea what I need.
Reply 9
Original post by cucumber101
Hey I will be 20 in January and I'm stopping in new wharf as well :smile:. I'm not a big drinker or going out person I prefer to sit in and snuggle up watching a film. So I feel like I won't fit in that much either :/ also does anyone know how we find out what books we will need. I want to start getting them but I have no idea what I need.

Apparntly we get our reading lists later this month, so they're sure who's on the course
Original post by Rilaona
Apparntly we get our reading lists later this month, so they're sure who's on the course

Ahh thank you it all makes sense

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending