The Student Room Group

What is A level Chemistry like?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Hollyht
Last year I was literally in the same position as you and decided to swap for chemistry it's defiantly not easy but it's do-able if you need it to get into a uni course then do it as it's not that bad a lot of the first unit is really basic maths and if you learn the rules you need and specific equations and spellings it's too too bad. Don't worry I'm not über smart like lots of people in here either haha and found it alright :smile: good luck with your gces's

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ahh I see, glad to find someone who has been in my position before.I guess putting in hard work from day 1 will pay off at the end, I'm going to think this through and thank you! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 21
difficult, because its entirely conceptual
Original post by Shaistaaa
So I have just finished my GCSE's and am now waiting for results day. I'm thinking of changing my A Level subject choices and I wanted to know people's experience with A level Chemistry. I did my Core and Additional Science exams when I was in year 10 and I got an A and a B overall ( I got B in my chemistry exams). I know that A levels are a big jump from GCSE's and are therefore difficult but if I put in hard work from day 1, would I get a good grade? What was/is chemistry like for you? How did you get good grades and if there are any tips, it would be greatly appreciated.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think a lot of people would agree that the step up from GCSE to A-level is huge for Chemistry. It's probably one of the biggest steps up of any subject (though that's just a personal opinion).

I personally found it fairly straightforward but I was very much the exception. Most people struggled quite a lot and it wasn't uncommon for people who got an A* at GCSE to get a C at A-level. However, these people probably didn't put as much effort in as they could have done.

It will be tough, but provided if you're willing to work hard, it should be fine. My advice would be to really try and understand the concept and theory behind the various topics. Simply memorising facts isn't good enough. Try and understand why certain things react the way they do or why things are the way they are. The exams test your ability to apply what you've learnt to unfamiliar situations so you won't get very far with just rote learning.
Also, when it comes closer to exams, do every single past paper question you can get your hands on. They are invaluable.

Other than that, do what you're comfortable with. I wrote out notes on every topic (still do even at Uni) which I found helped me memorise the detail, but this doesn't work for everyone.

Just as an additional note, if you want to do Medicine, you must do A-level Chemistry and seeing as most offers for Medicine are AAA (not all though) you'll probably need to be aiming for an A.
:cookie:

I'm doing AS Edexcel Chemistry atm. I personally enjoy it because much of it is conceptual in the sense that there's loads of different concepts and things interlink. Edexcel Chemistry is regarded as slightly more dififuclt than OCR and AQA however it is feasible. If you keep a good balance and work hard from day 1, I'm sure you'll be fine.
Chemistry at first felt very time-consuming during the first few months and also quite difficult at first but sooner or later it became quite interesting and I started loving it to the extent where I now want to become a chemist (original plan was to aspire to become a biochemist).

If you need any help (assuming you may take Chemistry fingers crossed :tongue:), do PM me :smile:
Reply 24
Original post by Feraligatr
:cookie:

I'm doing AS Edexcel Chemistry atm. I personally enjoy it because much of it is conceptual in the sense that there's loads of different concepts and things interlink. Edexcel Chemistry is regarded as slightly more dififuclt than OCR and AQA however it is feasible. If you keep a good balance and work hard from day 1, I'm sure you'll be fine.
Chemistry at first felt very time-consuming during the first few months and also quite difficult at first but sooner or later it became quite interesting and I started loving it to the extent where I now want to become a chemist (original plan was to aspire to become a biochemist).

If you need any help (assuming you may take Chemistry fingers crossed :tongue:), do PM me :smile:

Oo wow :smile: thanks for your answer, I'm really going to think this through and yes if I need help I will definitely ask thank youuuu! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've just finished AS Chemistry (OCR), and I loved it. Like you, I got AB for core and additional science at GCSE.
It isn't too difficult if you put the effort in. However, I'd advise you go over ALL the C3 triple science content beforehand. It will make the starting the course a lot easier.

Look into molar quantities, and practice some of the calculations for example :smile:
So I have just finished my GCSE's and am now waiting for results day. I'm thinking of changing my A Level subject choices and I wanted to know people's experience with A level Chemistry. I did my Core and Additional Science exams when I was in year 10 and I got an A and a B overall ( I got B in my chemistry exams). I know that A levels are a big jump from GCSE's and are therefore difficult but if I put in hard work from day 1, would I get a good grade? What was/is chemistry like for you? How did you get good grades and if there are any tips, it would be greatly appreciated.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Chemistry is a great subject to study. I personally found it to be very intriguing, especially topics like electrochemical cells/fuel cells. Then there are topics like pH calculations, buffer solutions and titrations which require you to use Maths, which I really enjoyed since I found it very easy. But, I would suggest that only do A-Level Chemistry if you are sure you will be able to dedicate yourself to the hardwork which will be required, especially if you're aiming for A/A*.

P.S. Not trying to sound cocky, but I averaged 96.3% in my A2 modules, getting me an A*. It was mainly because I had a genuine interest in the subject because of which I worked hard. I did many past papers and read around the subject which enabled me to do this well.

Good luck with choosing.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 27
Original post by Porcupayne
I've just finished AS Chemistry (OCR), and I loved it. Like you, I got AB for core and additional science at GCSE.
It isn't too difficult if you put the effort in. However, I'd advise you go over ALL the C3 triple science content beforehand. It will make the starting the course a lot easier.

Look into molar quantities, and practice some of the calculations for example :smile:

Ooo it's good to see someone who was in the same position as me, how did you cope with A level Chemistry? You'll find out how you did on the 13th right? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ooo it's good to see someone who was in the same position as me, how did you cope with A level Chemistry? You'll find out how you did on the 13th right? :smile:

The content honestly isn't huge. I found it quite difficult to start with, since I'm the only one in my class who didn't do triple science (however your teacher will go over all of the triple stuff in class). I quickly caught up though and now performing really well, so I'd really recommend you take it.

The course is a little mathsy, but I don't do A Level Maths and find those bits easy. Do some background reading before starting the course (I imagine that helps) :P

And yep, I'm dreading results day. I'm hoping for a B in chemistry (although I was aiming for an A)

Good luck :smile:
Alevel chemistry is completely different to gcse chemistry. You obviously must have some basic understanding of the subject to actually take alevel chemistry as it is an extremely difficult subject. I hated gcse science, especially chemistry, but I love alevel chemistry, it's my harest yet most preferred subject because it is so intriguing. My advice is take it and see how you get on..
Reply 30

Posted from TSR Mobile

I chose Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Maths and am waiting for my AS results.

Out of all of them, I really enjoy Chemistry. If you're thinking about taking Chemistry, I would advise that you have to have a passion for it as you can't just memorise from a textbook, you have to actually understand it.
I'm studying AQA and we have to do quite alot of practicals and practical write up's, so you must also enjoy the practical side of it.

It would be really beneficial if you have a GCSE grade for triple science, as some of the chemistry links, but in AS chemistry alot of it is new. If you take chemistry, the content you learn in AS will literally be repeated in A2 but in more depth, so AS stuff is quite important.

I would say for any subject do lots of practise papers to get used to what examiners actually want from you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I am a chemistry teacher. One thing to bare in mind is that all the syllabuses change this September and you will be starting a course that your teachers have not taught before although the content is essentially the same. One key difference is that the course is not modular anymore. IF your school or college still offers AS level you will be examined on the content for Year 12 next summer. For the A2 exam you will be examined on the content covered in years 12 and 13. So no more learning something doing the exam and then forgetting it all again.

I would say the biggest problem students have is they do not work hard enough. We tell them about the step up in difficulty and they take in on board for the first couple of weeks then get lazy. Then in mocks a lot of them do poorly but it does not seem to phase them. I feel sure that one girl in my form, who should get an A/B in a couple of weeks time for AS will get a U and will have to do year 12 again and this means she will be starting a new course!

If you spend more than a couple of 'frees' in the common room a week then you are not working hard enough. On average, if you are not spending 2-3 hours a night on homework and consolidating the teaching for that day you are not working hard enough, IMO.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest