The Student Room Group

What is A level Chemistry like?

So I have just finished my GCSE's and am now waiting for results day. I'm thinking of changing my A Level subject choices and I wanted to know people's experience with A level Chemistry. I did my Core and Additional Science exams when I was in year 10 and I got an A and a B overall ( I got B in my chemistry exams). I know that A levels are a big jump from GCSE's and are therefore difficult but if I put in hard work from day 1, would I get a good grade? What was/is chemistry like for you? How did you get good grades and if there are any tips, it would be greatly appreciated.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

I have a friend in my chemistry class who got a B in chemistry GCSE. She found it difficult, but she worked hard and had been getting Bs and Cs in her mock exams. I won't know what she got in AS until August 13th. I think it depends on what you're aiming for, since she needs a B overall to do biomedical science.

Everyone in my class found chemistry hard in at least one topic. Usually it's Hess Cycles, but others found memorising mechanisms harder. For me, the hardest part was learning the reactions and their conditions because I just didn't enjoy it. For my exam board, we need to know something like 50 throughout the whole A-level syllabus.

If you worked hard, it wouldn't guarantee you a pass. It isn't just about hard work, you have to really understand what's going on and how to write that in an exam-style answer. I think, for most, that is the hardest part. For this, you will need to find past paper mark schemes since I doubt that the required answers have changed much with the new specifications. Write notes based on the mark schemes, answering every specification point.

Despite the above, I quite liked chemistry. It was satisfying to know about something that looks complicated, even though it is less complex than it looks. Also, lab work could be fun sometimes, what with all the different coloured chemicals, and making nice-smelling esters. I'm hoping for an A or a B for AS, and an A overall.

Do a level chemistry if you are interested in chemistry, or if you need it to meet entry requirements for a university course. Though if you need it for uni, but don't want to do it, you might want to reconsider which course to do. I'd recommend that you look through the chem specification that is specific to the exam board you'll be studying from. That way, you can see if the topics interest you. :smile:
I just finished A2 chemistry this summer.
Content wise, Chemistry is not that bad as long as you revise properly and understand the concepts behind it. Do this any you'll fly through the content in class. But where I, and many other people struggled is when it comes down to the exam.
The exams are completely different compared to the stuff you learn in class. Sometimes you will have to read between the lines to understand what they are asking but then other questions will be straightforward. If you're aiming for the top grades (A/A*) then it can be quite challenging. No one at my sixth form has gotten an A* in chemistry before which pretty much speaks for itself.

My advice would be to do as many past papers as possible. Relying on text books alone will not be enough. You'll see when you do them, the first paper you do willl be bad but then you start to get the hang of it and your grades will gradually improve.
Reply 3
Original post by Laurasaur
I have a friend in my chemistry class who got a B in chemistry GCSE. She found it difficult, but she worked hard and had been getting Bs and Cs in her mock exams. I won't know what she got in AS until August 13th. I think it depends on what you're aiming for, since she needs a B overall to do biomedical science.

Everyone in my class found chemistry hard in at least one topic. Usually it's Hess Cycles, but others found memorising mechanisms harder. For me, the hardest part was learning the reactions and their conditions because I just didn't enjoy it. For my exam board, we need to know something like 50 throughout the whole A-level syllabus.

If you worked hard, it wouldn't guarantee you a pass. It isn't just about hard work, you have to really understand what's going on and how to write that in an exam-style answer. I think, for most, that is the hardest part. For this, you will need to find past paper mark schemes since I doubt that the required answers have changed much with the new specifications. Write notes based on the mark schemes, answering every specification point.

Despite the above, I quite liked chemistry. It was satisfying to know about something that looks complicated, even though it is less complex than it looks. Also, lab work could be fun sometimes, what with all the different coloured chemicals, and making nice-smelling esters. I'm hoping for an A or a B for AS, and an A overall.

Do a level chemistry if you are interested in chemistry, or if you need it to meet entry requirements for a university course. Though if you need it for uni, but don't want to do it, you might want to reconsider which course to do. I'd recommend that you look through the chem specification that is specific to the exam board you'll be studying from. That way, you can see if the topics interest you. :smile:

Yes, I understand where you are coming from about how you don't just need to know but you need to actually understand the content too.I know that to go into medicine, chemistry is important...hmm decisions decisions

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by Elm Tree
I just finished A2 chemistry this summer.
Content wise, Chemistry is not that bad as long as you revise properly and understand the concepts behind it. Do this any you'll fly through the content in class. But where I, and many other people struggled is when it comes down to the exam.
The exams are completely different compared to the stuff you learn in class. Sometimes you will have to read between the lines to understand what they are asking but then other questions will be straightforward. If you're aiming for the top grades (A/A*) then it can be quite challenging. No one at my sixth form has gotten an A* in chemistry before which pretty much speaks for itself.

My advice would be to do as many past papers as possible. Relying on text books alone will not be enough. You'll see when you do them, the first paper you do willl be bad but then you start to get the hang of it and your grades will gradually improve.

Really, wow! I didn't know that. And I understand what you mean about finding the exams difficult.Sometimes I would do well in class but when I do a class test or an exam, it becomes more challenging or confusing at first :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Shaistaaa
Yes, I understand where you are coming from about how you don't just need to know but you need to actually understand the content too.I know that to go into medicine, chemistry is important...hmm decisions decisions

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you want to do medicine you have to do chemistry i think its a requirement on basically every course
I loved A-level chemistry. I'm studying a biology degree now but chemistry was always my favourite science and I try to take as many chemistry undergrad optional modules as I can.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Moonstruck16
I loved A-level chemistry. I'm studying a biology degree now but chemistry was always my favourite science and I try to take as many chemistry undergrad optional modules as I can.

If you loved A-level chemistry as you wrote, I wonder why do you study biology in terms of chemistry. I don't get it.
Reply 8

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oooo how did you find A level Chemistry?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oooo how did you find A level Chemistry?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It wasn't that hard at all because believe it or not but I loved it so much that I used to do past papers and practise questions from text books to procrastinate whilst I was meant to be studying for my other subjects :tongue: This was from well before exam time too. Just don't fall behind and practice throughout the year and you'll be fine :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Kallisto
If you loved A-level chemistry as you wrote, I wonder why do you study biology in terms of chemistry. I don't get it.

It's because I did very badly in AS maths. I got an E and it was the only non A or A* grade I had in my whole GCSE/A-level career and I was under the impression I needed it to study chemistry at good university. Turns out I can get through it just fine but I'm going into my second year of biology now and don't want to start university all over.

Don't get me wrong, I do love biology. I was always great at both bio and chem but I always did slightly better in biology and did want to be a vet for most of my life so biology seemed like the best deviation. Most of my degree is biology obviously but chemistry is incredibly useful for the areas of biology I am really interested in i.e. microbiology, astrobiology and astrochemistry.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
It wasn't that hard at all because believe it or not but I loved it so much that I used to do past papers and practise questions from text books to procrastinate whilst I was meant to be studying for my other subjects :tongue: This was from well before exam time too. Just don't fall behind and practice throughout the year and you'll be fine :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oooo wow! That's impressive and hard work from day 1 will help out right? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oooo wow! That's impressive and hard work from day 1 will help out right? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes. Very few people can cram before exams and do really well. Also, there will be bits of chem that you won't understand immediately so working with them as soon as you encounter them is crucial otherwise it will all pile up and go horribly wrong.

Posted from TSR Mobile
x

Well, well. thanks for the answer.

In terms of myself, I like both chemistry and biology. But I am interest in physics and mathematics too.

x

To give a statement to this thread: It is teaching about reaction mechanisms, the chemical equilibrium, reaction speed and the substances (amino acids, proteins, carbohydrates, synthetic materials to name but a few).

Some lessons are easy to understand, some lessons are more difficult. All in all I would say, it is a feasible subject at A level. But you should have a certain interest in chemistry.
So I have just finished my GCSE's and am now waiting for results day. I'm thinking of changing my A Level subject choices and I wanted to know people's experience with A level Chemistry. I did my Core and Additional Science exams when I was in year 10 and I got an A and a B overall ( I got B in my chemistry exams). I know that A levels are a big jump from GCSE's and are therefore difficult but if I put in hard work from day 1, would I get a good grade? What was/is chemistry like for you? How did you get good grades and if there are any tips, it would be greatly appreciated.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have just completed the full a level in chemistry and loved it. It's not necessarily the content that is difficult but the application of the knowledge in nearly every question in the exam. If you want something that makes you think go for chemistry but be willing to put a hell of a lot of work in, just incase your one of those people who find it tough. I personally thought it was average, i had to pay attention to do well but i didn't have to kill myself revising like some people to get a grade.
Like many people have been saying past papers is the key to success with chemistry a level. any idea what exam board you would be doing? ocr is awesome.
Reply 15
Original post by Hayley Williams
I have just completed the full a level in chemistry and loved it. It's not necessarily the content that is difficult but the application of the knowledge in nearly every question in the exam. If you want something that makes you think go for chemistry but be willing to put a hell of a lot of work in, just incase your one of those people who find it tough. I personally thought it was average, i had to pay attention to do well but i didn't have to kill myself revising like some people to get a grade.
Like many people have been saying past papers is the key to success with chemistry a level. any idea what exam board you would be doing? ocr is awesome.

My school does Edexcel

Posted from TSR Mobile
My school does Edexcel

Posted from TSR Mobile

ahh gutted. OCR is great for chemistry. :biggrin:
Reply 17
Original post by Hayley Williams
ahh gutted. OCR is great for chemistry. :biggrin:

Ohh man :/ I'm going to think this one through

Posted from TSR Mobile
Last year I was literally in the same position as you and decided to swap for chemistry it's defiantly not easy but it's do-able if you need it to get into a uni course then do it as it's not that bad a lot of the first unit is really basic maths and if you learn the rules you need and specific equations and spellings it's too too bad. Don't worry I'm not über smart like lots of people in here either haha and found it alright :smile: good luck with your gces's

Posted from TSR Mobile
I found AS chem to be my easiest AS level.
I revised the night before my exams and on the morning and did one past paper per exam. (i worked alot more for my other subjects)
I found the concepts simple and got it all in class.
I got an A for gcse.
I know i got at least a B for AS but its likely i got an A.
I think you should go for it, only because i believe you should never say somethings too hard unless you have tried it.
If you decide to do it and don't think chemistry is your forte, then work hard from day 1. Don't just say it as many people do and you will get at least an A. Honestly i don't see how someone wouldn't if they worked from day one pretty much every day.
Good luck.

Quick Reply

Latest