The Student Room Group

Is this true?

So i heard that BTEC qualifications are not recognised outside of UK and that if you do a degree in UK with a BTEC, then it won't be recognised outside of UK, like in USA, Canada etc. Is this true?
Reply 1
The degree thing isnt true

BTECs are very good qualifications, however, you are correct they arent really that well known outside of this country, although being equivalent to A levels...

...but then this is the same a lot of the time for the american students in this country, i believe that some UK unis require american students to have done APs which are higher than the standard high school qualification, and some unis wont accept students just leaving high school even though this is the normal age to start uni, however if you were to explain to a potential employer or university abroad about your equivalent qualification im sure they would look into it for you
Original post by Alexander01
So i heard that BTEC qualifications are not recognised outside of UK and that if you do a degree in UK with a BTEC, then it won't be recognised outside of UK, like in USA, Canada etc. Is this true?

Internationally, btecs are not recognised which is ironic as they meant to be equivalent to A levels.
Reply 3
Original post by German123
Internationally, btecs are not recognised which is ironic as they meant to be equivalent to A levels.

What about the degree?
Reply 4
Original post by yt7777
The degree thing isnt true

BTECs are very good qualifications, however, you are correct they arent really that well known outside of this country, although being equivalent to A levels...

...but then this is the same a lot of the time for the american students in this country, i believe that some UK unis require american students to have done APs which are higher than the standard high school qualification, and some unis wont accept students just leaving high school even though this is the normal age to start uni, however if you were to explain to a potential employer or university abroad about your equivalent qualification im sure they would look into it for you

So what would happen if i wanted to apply somewhere in America to study at a University with a BTEC?
Reply 5
So what would happen if i wanted to apply somewhere in America to study at a University with a BTEC?

Email their admissions, attach an equivalence table (you can find this online) and also state in you email wjhat grade equivalent you achieved and ask would I be eligible to apply
Reply 6
Original post by yt7777
Email their admissions, attach an equivalence table (you can find this online) and also state in you email wjhat grade equivalent you achieved and ask would I be eligible to apply

I am not looking to applying, i was just using that as an example, but yeah, i see TONS of people looking down on BTEC on other websites, so i was worrying.
Reply 7
I am not looking to applying, i was just using that as an example, but yeah, i see TONS of people looking down on BTEC on other websites, so i was worrying.

Those people are idiots, BTECs are excellent qualifications and IMO more beneficial than A levels as they actually prepare you for a career as well as higher education, silly little sixth formers with no real world experience dont value this nor do they fully understand the worth of the qualification
What about the degree?

Sorry, i don't know but guess it would be a similar thing-not really recognised.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending