The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by harry734
I've just turned 18 years old and would really like to be a professional footballer one day, but I'm quite old. I've only ever played with friends or at school but with no great ambitions and wouldn't join the team because just wasn't that interested. however recently I've become very much interested in playing for a team and taking it seriously and was wondering what my first step should be, and whether 18 year olds can be scouted for an academy or whether I'm too old. (i also know its very unlikely anyway, so you don't need to explain that to me haha)

To put it bluntly, you've got more chance of shagging my nan than you do of becoming a professional footballer, and she's been dead for 10 years...
Reply 21
Original post by HalfDan
By playing. Are you playing for a team atm?
nope, i only play with friends at the park etc.
Reply 22
Original post by mackemforever
To put it bluntly, you've got more chance of shagging my nan than you do of becoming a professional footballer, and she's been dead for 10 years...
with respect, literally anyone could do that, i just wouldn't want to.
Reply 23
Then your chances are next to nothing. Sorry to put it bluntly :colonhash:
Reply 24
Original post by mackemforever
Not necessarily.

There are examples of players who have gone from non-league clubs to playing in the top few divisions but they are incredibly rare.
so how do they do it?
Reply 25
Original post by HalfDan
Then your chances are next to nothing. Sorry to put it bluntly :colonhash:
why? i can't join a team now?
Reply 26
nope, i only play with friends at the park etc.

Are you by far the best player there?
Reply 27
You could start off sunday league but its unlikely to lead anywhere
Reply 28
Original post by difeo
Are you by far the best player there?
yeah, I'm better than anyone i've played at school, and all my friends, but they're amateurs as well so it doesn't really mean much, although some of them play for teams etc.
Not sure, but I know of kids who've been scouted by my local club at 10/11 . . .

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 30
Original post by HalfDan
You could start off sunday league but its unlikely to lead anywhere
just wish there was a way to get some good scouts to see me, within the next year or so otherwise early twenties is obviously too old, thanks for your help anyway man
Reply 31
Original post by Edminzodo
Not sure, but I know of kids who've been scouted by my local club at 10/11 . . .

Posted from TSR Mobile
oh right thats good then, cheers
Reply 32
just wish there was a way to get some good scouts to see me, within the next year or so otherwise early twenties is obviously too old, thanks for your help anyway man

No problem, good luck anyway! :smile:
Someone I know has just signed a contract with linfield in the league if Ireland. They ultimately want to get a move to the Scottish premiership and maybe eventually England/the prem. this person was 19 when offered the deal and had not been in an academy prior to this
Reply 34
Original post by HalfDan
No problem, good luck anyway! :smile:
haha cehers
You need to have played for a local team for a couple of years tbh.
Each county had divisions at a youth age for sunday football leauges where scouts tend to watch the top divisions teams now and then.
You would only have a chance if you went to a open trial, i know Villa did one last year where some of my mates went.
Reply 36
Original post by neal95
Someone I know has just signed a contract with linfield in the league if Ireland. They ultimately want to get a move to the Scottish premiership and maybe eventually England/the prem. this person was 19 when offered the deal and had not been in an academy prior to this
os theres hope!
os theres hope!

Yes definitely. This guy had trials at villa aswell but was unsuccessful there. It can take time but best to just enjoy your football and if they like the look of you and your game they will invite you for trials
Reply 38
Original post by neal95
Yes definitely. This guy had trials at villa aswell but was unsuccessful there. It can take time but best to just enjoy your football and if they like the look of you and your game they will invite you for trials
yeah, thanks mate
Reply 39
okay sorry to bother everyone again but i still don't really know what my next step would be, i live in manchester if this helps but what sort of team should i try to get on/who should i talk to? thanks