The Student Room Group

Do you like reading books?

Scroll to see replies

I adore reading, I've read 67 books so far this year. I love having people on my Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/lookingforcarolinemarie
Reply 81
I love reading factual books mostly about the history of architecture and art. Does anyone else prefer reading factual books over fiction?
Reply 82
Original post by N-R-G
I love reading factual books mostly about the history of architecture and art. Does anyone else prefer reading factual books over fiction?

I like both, fictional books are a good way to escape from reality and factual books are good for knowledge :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 83
Original post by Shaistaaa
I like both, fictional books are a good way to escape from reality and factual books are good for knowledge :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I like reading about architectural history because it tells you a story about the place for example the Renaissance, the architect for example Michelangelo and the building example St Pauls. You use your imagination to conjure up ideas of what its like to live there and what it might be like to be Michelangelo and what it would be like to work for the Pope as an architect. Then going to Rome to see the building for yourself is amazing. A bit like reading Harry Potter and going to Oxford I s'pose.
Reply 84
Original post by N-R-G
I like reading about architectural history because it tells you a story about the place for example the Renaissance, the architect for example Michelangelo and the building example St Pauls. You use your imagination to conjure up ideas of what its like to live there and what it might be like to be Michelangelo and what it would be like to work for the Pope as an architect. Then going to Rome to see the building for yourself is amazing. A bit like reading Harry Potter and going to Oxford I s'pose.

I totally agree! I find factual books about history very interesting, it tells us about the amazing aspects of history :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 85
I totally agree! I find factual books about history very interesting, it tells us about the amazing aspects of history :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

The last fiction book I read was Nausea by Sartre. It was a good book I enjoyed it.
Reply 86
Glad to see there are people who have an interest in reading books just as much as I do :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mick.w

Not the enemy Book by Rachel Shabi is quite interesting. its about how non white jews get second class treatment in israel. so not quite palestine but similar region. I guess the two things are intertwined.

It's arriving tomorrow. Quite a hard book to find, apparently. Cost me £20! I'll hold it on pain of death that it's as interesting as you say. :biggrin:
Reply 88
Original post by Sir Candour
It's arriving tomorrow. Quite a hard book to find, apparently. Cost me £20! I'll hold it on pain of death that it's as interesting as you say. :biggrin:

well I think its a really good insight and well written! enjoy!
Reply 89
I like reading, but I find it hard to stay commited to the linearity of a book these days - especially when reading on a tablet.
Re-reading 1984 atm :smile:
x

Reading books are one of my hobbies. Beside novels, I also like it to read professioal journals to learn something new. Does the latter one count in your opinion too?
I love to read too! I must say that some of my favourite books have been Jeanette Winterson's "Oranges are not the only fruit" and Margatet Attwood's "A handmaid's tale". I'm getting into the Bronte sister's work again though, and trying to work my way through the classics! Road Dahl, Michael Morpurgo and Jacqueline Wilson all gave me a lot of inspiration as a youngster, and I've always loved getting lost in Libraries! I need to read more though! XD More Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett is on my list! :smile:
Reply 93
Original post by Rose Ashtree
I love to read too! I must say that some of my favourite books have been Jeanette Winterson's "Oranges are not the only fruit" and Margatet Attwood's "A handmaid's tale". I'm getting into the Bronte sister's work again though, and trying to work my way through the classics! Road Dahl, Michael Morpurgo and Jacqueline Wilson all gave me a lot of inspiration as a youngster, and I've always loved getting lost in Libraries! I need to read more though! XD More Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett is on my list! :smile:

Awh I totally agree with you about the authors who inspired you to read when you were younger. I have a ton of Jacqueline Wilson books on my shelf right now :biggrin: Loved those books and still do! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Who doesn't love reading? :tongue:
Just finished the LOTR trilogy, was awesome!
Original post by Inzamam99
Re-reading 1984 atm :smile:

Do you mean Geroge Orwell's well known novel? gosh, that is one of the books which I have not read yet.
Awh I totally agree with you about the authors who inspired you to read when you were younger. I have a ton of Jacqueline Wilson books on my shelf right now :biggrin: Loved those books and still do! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I still have lots of them on my shelf too! :smile: I cannot bear to part with them! I hope to save them for my kids to enjoy in the future. :smile: I still read them occasionally too! ;D
I ****ing love reading. Ideas, ideas, more ideas. There is nothing better than a clever book.
Original post by StarvingAutist
I ****ing love reading. Ideas, ideas, more ideas. There is nothing better than a clever book.

You are right, I agree with you completely. Reading books is a true inspiration and also the key to creativity. According to what kinds of books are reading, I would even say this widen our horizon and opens our minds.
Original post by NotNotBatman
No, not at all, I've never been interested in a novel enough to get past the first page. I've tried many times to get into different books, but my mind drifts off after the first paragraph.

Pretty much that. Was last really into reading around the Harry Potter era

Quick Reply

Latest