The Student Room Group

Boyfriend doesnt like me being a tomboy.

I dont wear skirts and dresses as I dont feel like me in them and i cant even walk in heels they annoy me. My boyfriend said that he doesnt want me in pants when going out etc as he might as well go out with his mate if im going to be a tomboy. Why cant i be his gf and mate though.

Why are skirts and heels feminine anyway i mean i know we think of them as feminine in society but looking from a biological point of view clothes are just pieces of cloth i still have female sexual organs. What makes a skirt feminine? Why couldnt it have been a masculine item and pants feminine?

Would

Scroll to see replies

You can still look good going out in pants?

I dunno what it is with tight white jeans on a female but they're incredible tbh

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by Poetic_Justice
You can still look good going out in pants?

I dunno what it is with tight white jeans on a female but they're incredible tbh

Posted from TSR Mobile

White is supposed to make things look bigger so maybe it makes the ass look larger or something.

See I dont know why im so stubborn but the more he keeps saying i dress like a lad the less i want to be feminine. Ive always had something against being feminine and i dont know what it is.
Don't do things just to please your boyfriend. If you don't feel comfortable in skirts and dresses then don't wear them. It's not up to him.
I hate skirts and dresses also.
Why does it make a difference anyway? Does he spend your time together constantly staring at your legs? ^.-

Posted from TSR Mobile
Why did he date you in the first place if he didnt like the way you dressed...?
Reply 5
Original post by thecatwithnohat
Why did he date you in the first place if he didnt like the way you dressed...?

I dont think he knew, he has only ever seen me in sports gear thats how i met him through sport.
Reply 6
Original post by Zebadee321
Don't do things just to please your boyfriend. If you don't feel comfortable in skirts and dresses then don't wear them. It's not up to him.
I hate skirts and dresses also.
Why does it make a difference anyway? Does he spend your time together constantly staring at your legs? ^.-

Posted from TSR Mobile

He asked me how I would feel if he suddenly wanted to dress in a feminine way with jewellery and a skirt which is a good point but 'male' clothing is basically practical but womens isnt 'feminine' clothing is often not (heels, skirts etc).
Original post by Anonymous
He asked me how I would feel if he suddenly wanted to dress in a feminine way with jewellery and a skirt which is a good point but 'male' clothing is basically practical but womens isnt 'feminine' clothing is often not (heels, skirts etc).

He is probably bluffing with this. Just say go ahead, if it is what you feel comfortable in.
Most men don't wear womens jeans/jackets/trainers either. But they are masculine?
Seriously it shouldn't be decided by what clothes your wearing.
By your first post about he might aswell go out with his mates because you wear jeans and such, says to me he just sees you as female sexual organs to show off. As dresses supposedly enchance the bottom and other areas. Either that or he really wants a smoking hot female (showing all her bits) on his arm because that is cool.
He sounds immature if I am honest if he is so bothered by your dress code.

Or aquire a old fashioned long floor length dress, with a no cleavage and long sleaves.
See what he thinks about that :ahee:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 8
I dont wear skirts and dresses as I dont feel like me in them and i cant even walk in heels they annoy me. My boyfriend said that he doesnt want me in pants when going out etc as he might as well go out with his mate if im going to be a tomboy. Why cant i be his gf and mate though.

Why are skirts and heels feminine anyway i mean i know we think of them as feminine in society but looking from a biological point of view clothes are just pieces of cloth i still have female sexual organs. What makes a skirt feminine? Why couldnt it have been a masculine item and pants feminine?

Would

I barely ever wear skirts and dresses just because I feel more comfortable in skinny jeans and as a dancer I'm most commonly in leggings etc etc for ease of movement so appreciate the sport comment.

If you like your clothes and feel confident and comfortable wearing them then that's all that matters. You shouldn't be forced to wear things you don't want to and as your boyfriend he should appreciate and respect your wishes. Not prying but if he cannot come to terms with this then he most likely is not worth keeping.

If however you decide you want to try a 'feminine' (I agree it's stupid to label clothes by gender) spin on your usual attire you could go for a skinny jean, ankle boot - crop top-leather jacket or oversized jumper look. It would be edgy without conforming to skirts and dresses yet would please his gender bias standards. But I would only do this if he is really worth it and if you feel it is not against your will.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by Aileen__
I barely ever wear skirts and dresses just because I feel more comfortable in skinny jeans and as a dancer I'm most commonly in leggings etc etc for ease of movement so appreciate the sport comment.

If you like your clothes and feel confident and comfortable wearing them then that's all that matters. You shouldn't be forced to wear things you don't want to and as your boyfriend he should appreciate and respect your wishes. Not prying but if he cannot come to terms with this then he most likely is not worth keeping.

If however you decide you want to try a 'feminine' (I agree it's stupid to label clothes by gender) spin on your usual attire you could go for a skinny jean, ankle boot - crop top-leather jacket or oversized jumper look. It would be edgy without conforming to skirts and dresses yet would please his gender bias standards. But I would only do this if he is really worth it and if you feel it is not against your will.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks, he doesnt seem to mind most of the time when out its just during discussions it comes out when i mention something he'l say im a tomboy and that its like im his mate because im in pants all the time.

Thanks for the advice i do try to wear feminine tops i like the leather jacket idea.
Thanks, he doesnt seem to mind most of the time when out its just during discussions it comes out when i mention something he'l say im a tomboy and that its like im his mate because im in pants all the time.

Thanks for the advice i do try to wear feminine tops i like the leather jacket idea.

No problem

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Zebadee321
He is probably bluffing with this. Just say go ahead, if it is what you feel comfortable in.
Most men don't wear womens jeans/jackets/trainers either. But they are masculine?
Seriously it shouldn't be decided by
what clothes your wearing.
By your first post about he might aswell go out with his mates because you wear jeans and such, says to me he
just sees you as female sexual organs
to show off. As dresses supposedly enchance the bottom and other areas. Either that or he really wants a smoking hot female (showing all her bits) on his
arm because that is cool.

He sounds immature if I am honest if he is so bothered by your dress code.

Or aquire a old fashioned long floor
length dress, with a no cleavage and long sleaves.
See what he thinks about that :ahee:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks. Ha I might try the dress idea he can have odd tastes though so might like it lol.
OP, your boyfriend is a controlling dick.
Wear what you like, don't let your boyfriend dictate the way you dress, if he don't like it then he should find another girl.
He should get a different girlfriend then haha. Desperation. Going out with a girl he doesn't even like the look of lol.
Do what you feel comfortable doing - the way you present yourself is not up to him. :facepalm:

If he continues to have a problem with it and makes you feel bad then away with him - you can do better. :yep:
Original post by ChickenMadness
He should get a different girlfriend then haha. Desperation. Going out with a girl he doesn't even like the look of lol.

I know he wants sex a lot too I'm happy without it but men can get desperate for it.
Your bf shd kinda like you as you are tbh

Posted from TSR Mobile
he should like you the way you are, if he can't accept that then maybe you should dump him, don't feel like you need to do anything uncomfortable like wearing dresses, just to please him.
I think he'd have an argument of you'd dressed girly at first and suddenly changed. As it is, I agree he's being controlling.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending