The Student Room Group

Dragons Den UK

Does anyone watch this show?

New episode aired tonight, the fourth one in the new season.

I have to say this show has went to ****. I know it's the BBC and it's a UK show, but I honestly think they should get some of the Sharks from the US version Shark Tank.

Deborah Meedan and Peter Jones are a pair of monopolistic clowns who seize every opportunity to take advantage of free advertising for their existing businesses. Sometimes they do this during the pitch of a potential direct competitor! Not to mention, Deborah Meedan has pretty much stole an idea from one of the entrepreneurs.

The new Dragons...I'm not sure they are going to get much of a look in to be honest. Not unless they massively undercut the old guard. I say they should fire the older Dragons just to mix it up.
(edited 8 years ago)
I've watched a lot of the show, including this series. I continue to be fascinated that people can come up with new ideas, whereas I would just give up and say 'it's all been done before'. It's been interesting to see the products you don't need to product for to do the activity (eg the guess the accent card game, for the most part that yoga board).

I don't really keep track of who's offered what, though I've noticed a lot of competition between dragons at times (I wouldn't be willing to go 50/50 etc). But I love the show for the awful puns that make me laugh, and I try to remember for my dad jokes.
Reply 2
Shark Tank is nothing but a dumbed down version of Dragon's Den with flashing lights and a myriad of stereotypical American T.V tropes that is necessary to keep the American masses from thinking too hard. Although I will agree that the Den is wearing thin, but that happens after a shows been on for 10 years, it's drag out before it's eventually put out of it's misery, once it's fully ruined its viewership of course.
Reply 3
Original post by Wellzi
Shark Tank is nothing but a dumbed down version of Dragon's Den with flashing lights and a myriad of stereotypical American T.V tropes that is necessary to keep the American masses from thinking too hard. Although I will agree that the Den is wearing thin, but that happens after a shows been on for 10 years, it's drag out before it's eventually put out of it's misery, once it's fully ruined its viewership of course.

The Shark Tank is way more entertaining than Dragon's Den. It's not just that the show has a much higher energy, but that the Sharks are actually more than happy to compete with each other for the business on offer. Fair competition. Capitalism.

The Dragon's don't do this. In fact the amount of joint offers between the older Dragons is actually infuriating. The amount of value added for having an "extra Dragon" is negligible and is probably the biggest con-tick the Dragon's do. The entrepreneur loses significant leverage because the Dragon's refuse to bid against each other.

The whole dynamic has turned this into a rather dull show where the Dragon's pretty much brute force their way into unfair deals. Tonight's episode was just a joke. The final pitch is actually a pretty regular occurrence on the show nowadays.
Original post by Cup o' Tea
The Shark Tank is way more entertaining than Dragon's Den. It's not just that the show has a much higher energy, but that the Sharks are actually more than happy to compete with each other for the business on offer. Fair competition. Capitalism.

The Dragon's don't do this. In fact the amount of joint offers between the older Dragons is actually infuriating. The amount of value added for having an "extra Dragon" is negligible and is probably the biggest con-tick the Dragon's do. The entrepreneur loses significant leverage because the Dragon's refuse to bid against each other.

The whole dynamic has turned this into a rather dull show where the Dragon's pretty much brute force their way into unfair deals. Tonight's episode was just a joke. The final pitch is actually a pretty regular occurrence on the show nowadays.

There's nothing to be fair about lol They're the ones with the money. :rofl:
Reply 5
Original post by Imperion
There's nothing to be fair about lol They're the ones with the money. :rofl:

It's probably one of the biggest adverts for British business and all we see is budding entrepreneurs getting shafted.

If I ever took a business onto Dragon's Den I would probably only do it for the exposure. It's been proven by countless entrepreneurs, whose dealings with the Dragon's ceased during due diligence, that you don't need a Dragon and you can get money from countless sources.

The Dragon's also like to style themselves as "different from angel investors." Different how? The Dragon's all have their own businesses and they've even stated countless times that they have "limited time" to spend with these people who wish to partner with them. They merely market themselves as different to angel investors in order to justify the sizable sharehold they ask for. It's almost like they want to say that an angel investor wouldn't do anything in their power to make the business a success, and if times are hard the angel would just sit by idle and let their equity disappear. :lol:
Reply 6

Haven't watched the show in a long time. But when I watched it, it was for the products and ideas. This 'entrepreneur loses significant leverage' bull sounds incorrect. I'm pretty sure every Dragon has their reasons unless it's a pretty stupid situation.
Reply 7
Original post by LeyK
Haven't watched the show in a long time. But when I watched it, it was for the products and ideas. This 'entrepreneur loses significant leverage' bull sounds incorrect. I'm pretty sure every Dragon has their reasons unless it's a pretty stupid situation.

Dumb post.

Think of it as a monopoly.

Imagine a cartel of Dragon's making an offer under one banner, compared to five singular Dragon's making separate offers. In what scenario is the entrepreneur likely to get a fairer deal? :rolleyes:
Reply 8
Aw, yayy I love this show. :love: I had to catch up with the new episodes the other night, personally I think its great.:woo:
Although, is it just me who thinks that Peter Jones isnt fond of the man who sits next to Debra...Ive forgotten his name. (His background is clothes stuff..I think.) Anyway that man whose name Ive forgotten is my absolute favourite dragon in this series. ^-^

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's probably one of the biggest adverts for British business and all we see is budding entrepreneurs getting shafted.

If I ever took a business onto Dragon's Den I would probably only do it for the exposure. It's been proven by countless entrepreneurs, whose dealings with the Dragon's ceased during due diligence, that you don't need a Dragon and you can get money from countless sources.

The Dragon's also like to style themselves as "different from angel investors." Different how? The Dragon's all have their own businesses and they've even stated countless times that they have "limited time" to spend with these people who wish to partner with them. They merely market themselves as different to angel investors in order to justify the sizable sharehold they ask for. It's almost like they want to say that an angel investor wouldn't do anything in their power to make the business a success, and if times are hard the angel would just sit by idle and let their equity disappear. :lol:

That's the entrepreneur's issue, not theirs xD Sure, you've got to differentiate yourself from the regular horde but underneath we're all pieces of the same cloth :rofl: Does it matter? no. Does it increase chances of success? Yes. Personally before appearing before such hungry people I'd have looked and be really desperate.
Reply 10
Original post by Imperion
That's the entrepreneur's issue, not theirs xD Sure, you've got to differentiate yourself from the regular horde but underneath we're all pieces of the same cloth :rofl: Does it matter? no. Does it increase chances of success? Yes. Personally before appearing before such hungry people I'd have looked and be really desperate.

I don't have a goddamn clue what you just said...and with that said: I'm out. :rolleyes:
Reply 11
Dumb post.

Think of it as a monopoly.

Imagine a cartel of Dragon's making an offer under one banner, compared to five singular Dragon's making separate offers. In what scenario is the entrepreneur likely to get a fairer deal? :rolleyes:

Ofc the first option but you do know how investments work right?
It's up to the investor/s choice plus the banner's risk as well. (It sound right i my head :smile:)
Reply 12
Original post by Anon_98
Aw, yayy I love this show. :love: I had to catch up with the new episodes the other night, personally I think its great.:woo:
Although, is it just me who thinks that Peter Jones isnt fond of the man who sits next to Debra...Ive forgotten his name. (His background is clothes stuff..I think.) Anyway that man whose name Ive forgotten is my absolute favourite dragon in this series. ^-^

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah Peter Jones and Deborah Meedan have taken a disliking to pretty much every new Dragons that has come into the Den. It's almost like they see the Den as "their turf."

This has been an issue since Season 3 where Peter Jones repeatedly tried to belittle Richard Farleigh when he joined the panel. When Deborah Meedan came onto the show she wouldn't invest in anything unless she was in a joint deal with Theo Pathitis. You can argue that Deborah Meedan has been much better at maneuvering than some other Dragons. It might be good for her, but not the show.

At first I thought that maybe Deborah Meedan lacked the courage to invest solo, but I think perhaps she was trying to offer value by reducing the risk for her fellow Dragons. With that said, she was also reducing the reward. I did notice that she would often step aside or price herself out of negotiations. Probably on purpose because she didn't want to be a threat to the others.

When Richard Farleigh came onto the show, he would often undercut other Dragons massively. Sometimes he would do so on purpose just do the entrepreneur would select him and the deal would be lost to other Dragons. This is a tactic I agree with, because the Dragons would then be forced to let him into deals or start playing fairly.

Original post by LeyK
Ofc the first option but you do know how investments work right?
It's up to the investor/s choice plus the banner's risk as well. (It sound right i my head :smile:)

I'm talking about the TV show. Due to the issues that I've discussed, the show isn't attracting many people who have good ideas. It's easy to see why. Why would you bother pitching to a group of investors who really just want to shaft you or steal your idea? Look at how many garbage products have been pitched over the past couple of seasons. Some of them wouldn't have made the joke clips of the earlier ones.

And you meant the second option right?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 13

I'm talking about the TV show. Due to the issues that I've discussed, the show isn't attracting many people who have good ideas. It's easy to see why. Why would you bother pitching to a group of investors who really just want to shaft you or steal your idea? Look at how many garbage products have been pitched over the past couple of seasons. Some of them wouldn't have made the joke clips of previous seasons.

And you meant the second option right?

Didn't read it properly. Yeah second option.

I'll definitely check it out whenever I can
Yeah Peter Jones and Deborah Meedan have taken a disliking to pretty much every new Dragons that has come into the Den. It's almost like they see the Den as "their turf."

I find it beyond irritating bc there isn't anything wrong with them. XD
Oh, couldnt agree more - What annoys me most is when they wont share a deal not bc its for the best interests of the entrepeuner person to have one dragon but bc they seem to have an issue working with "newbies". Why in Galileo does it have to be such it such a problem¿? I just cannot. ^-^

This has been an issue since Season 3 where Peter Jones repeatedly tried to belittle Richard Farleigh when he joined the panel. When Deborah Meedan came onto the show she wouldn't invest in anything unless she was in a joint deal with Theo Pathitis. You can argue that Deborah Meedan has been much better at maneuvering than some other Dragons. It might be good for her, but not the show.

At first I thought that maybe Deborah Meedan lacked the courage to invest solo, but I think perhaps she was trying to offer value by reducing the risk for her fellow Dragons. With that said, she was also reducing the reward. I did notice that she would often step aside or price herself out of negotiations. Probably on purpose because she didn't want to be a threat to the others.

When Richard Farleigh came onto the show, he would often undercut other Dragons massively. Sometimes he would do so on purpose just do the entrepreneur would select him and the deal would be lost to other Dragons. This is a tactic I agree with, because the Dragons would then be forced to let him into deals or start playing fairly.

Ahh right I see, can't really rember if I noticed what you mentioned in your first paragraph. :h:

Oh mhm..I agree with the points youve mentioned. You appear to be v observant on the whole situation, its great aha. XD

Yes, I agree with that too. It may sound mean but its quite nice to see the dragons recieving a taste of their own sometimes. I do realise they're the ones who hold the money but they can be so unnecessarily rude. Like they'll say something which is totally uncalled for and they think they can get away with it bc of this hierachy they've built for themselves. Well, actually they do get away with it tbh. :getmecoat:

Are there any inventions that you've really liked and kinda wish you had in the current series?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't have a goddamn clue what you just said...and with that said: I'm out. :rolleyes:

:laugh: okay
Reply 16
Bump.

Any other viewers of the show concerned with how its gone?
Reply 17
Original post by Anon_98
I find it beyond irritating bc there isn't anything wrong with them. XD
Oh, couldnt agree more - What annoys me most is when they wont share a deal not bc its for the best interests of the entrepeuner person to have one dragon but bc they seem to have an issue working with "newbies". Why in Galileo does it have to be such it such a problem¿? I just cannot. ^-^

Ahh right I see, can't really rember if I noticed what you mentioned in your first paragraph. :h:

Oh mhm..I agree with the points youve mentioned. You appear to be v observant on the whole situation, its great aha. XD

Yes, I agree with that too. It may sound mean but its quite nice to see the dragons recieving a taste of their own sometimes. I do realise they're the ones who hold the money but they can be so unnecessarily rude. Like they'll say something which is totally uncalled for and they think they can get away with it bc of this hierachy they've built for themselves. Well, actually they do get away with it tbh. :getmecoat:

Are there any inventions that you've really liked and kinda wish you had in the current series?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've only really liked the food businesses so far this season.

There was the woman who the line of Nigerian snack foods. And there was that guy who had his "raw chocolate" product, which was a healthier version of chocolate.

The only other idea I've really liked from recent seasons was that guy who made the app which was basically a price comparison and booking facility for taxi firms. Not an extremely glamorous idea but still a good money-making one.

Quick Reply

Latest