The Student Room Group

Is IGCSE/O Level necessary for applying UK Universities?

Hi, I am a student from Bangladesh and interested to go to UK for my undergraduate study. Right now I'm studying in A Level as private candidate. But instead of doing IGCSE/O Level I did our government certification called SSC(Secondary School Certification).

Now after passing A Level, would I able to apply for UK Universities? I would like to apply for Oxford and Cambridge.
It depends, if you can provide proof of your SSC qualifications, and providing Oxbridge accept it, then it should be fine. However, at my school, which is only 6th form, they do make students who haven't taken GCSEs take Maths and English, as I think it may be a requirement for unis. However, I'm pretty sure that most, if not all, Universities will be fine with taking another qualification as long as it is indeed a government certification like you mentioned.
Reply 2
Original post by AmamDewan
Hi, I am a student from Bangladesh and interested to go to UK for my undergraduate study. Right now I'm studying in A Level as private candidate. But instead of doing IGCSE/O Level I did our government certification called SSC(Secondary School Certification).

Now after passing A Level, would I able to apply for UK Universities? I would like to apply for Oxford and Cambridge.

What course do you want to do?

What A-levels are you taking and when are you doing the A-level exams (is it June 2017 or 2016)?

You can't apply to both Cambridge and Oxford so you will need to check the courses and select one of the universities. Plus you can apply at up to 4 other universities.

Have you read this info about international applicants from Bangladesh applying to Cambridge:

http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/bangladesh

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by jneill
What course do you want to do?

What A-levels are you taking and when are you doing the A-level exams (is it June 2017 or 2016)?

You can't apply to both Cambridge and Oxford so you will need to check the courses and select one of the universities. Plus you can apply at up to 4 other universities.

Have you read this info about international applicants from Bangladesh applying to Cambridge:

http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/bangladesh

Thank you Jneill
I interested to do Physics and Chemistry course.

I'm doing A Levels in Biology, Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics and Further Math. And my exam will be in June 2016.

I knew that my national qualifications will not accepted to Cambridge or Oxford. But I thought if I take A Levels I will be accepted.
Is there any other way to get accepted?
Reply 4
Thank you Jneill
I interested to do Physics and Chemistry course.

I'm doing A Levels in Biology, Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics and Further Math. And my exam will be in June 2016.

I knew that my national qualifications will not accepted to Cambridge or Oxford. But I thought if I take A Levels I will be accepted.
Is there any other way to get accepted?

Yes your A-levels are fine. Have you taken your AS exams this year (June 2015)? If so your UMS (marks) will be important, especially for Cambridge.

The Cambridge course is Natural Sciences (Physical).

I suggest you join the thread for Cambridge 2016 hopefuls.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3370493
The Official Cambridge Applicants Thread 2016 Entry MK II

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)

It'll be much less complex if you just take the US qualifications, i.e., the APs, the ACT and/or the SAT. Also, you can't apply to both Oxford and Cambridge in the same UCAS cycle.
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest