The Student Room Group

Mummy's boy

So I have been with my boyfriend nearly two years and it's goings great (except for one problem). We get on so well, share similar life goals, work ethics. Basically I could see us getting married, we work well. However his mother is somebody I am competing with and this leads me to doubt the relationships stability.
Firstly she is a single mother who has only ever raised him and him alone. She has no friends at all. She solely relies on his company. When I visit my boyfriend which is often (5 times a week) I've recently got a car and it's exciting seeing him... We spend 85% of our time with her. I hate television and we will just aimlessly watch television, shows I have never even seen before just because all she does is sit and watch television. It's hard now as its a routine, I have slight anxiety so I can't just suggest I'm bored can we go and do our own thing? It feels like we are all close buddies now and that's not working out for me I need my own space with my man.
Another dilemma is we want to do things as a couple together. Like chopping the food we brought. However if we are doing it wrong (although kind to suggest criticism and help) she comes and does it for us!!! We are trying to be romantic and she kills the vibe.

The biggest problem I face is I would like to go travelling. My boyfriend is a similar type of person to me whom loves exploring. However he has declined to ever come with me because he wouldn't want to leave his home (dog, mum) I have even suggested going for just two months. I will fund his rent for those two months. But still a decline. I don't know what to do because my head is suggesting he will always pick her over me and we are not going to be able to share what I once thought we would. He said he would stay with me if I travelled but I wanted to create those memories with him
We are both 20 by the way.
I hope I am over reacting!
Original post by Anonymous
So I have been with my boyfriend nearly two years and it's goings great (except for one problem). We get on so well, share similar life goals, work ethics. Basically I could see us getting married, we work well. However his mother is somebody I am competing with and this leads me to doubt the relationships stability.
Firstly she is a single mother who has only ever raised him and him alone. She has no friends at all. She solely relies on his company. When I visit my boyfriend which is often (5 times a week) I've recently got a car and it's exciting seeing him... We spend 85% of our time with her. I hate television and we will just aimlessly watch television, shows I have never even seen before just because all she does is sit and watch television. It's hard now as its a routine, I have slight anxiety so I can't just suggest I'm bored can we go and do our own thing? It feels like we are all close buddies now and that's not working out for me I need my own space with my man.
Another dilemma is we want to do things as a couple together. Like chopping the food we brought. However if we are doing it wrong (although kind to suggest criticism and help) she comes and does it for us!!! We are trying to be romantic and she kills the vibe.

The biggest problem I face is I would like to go travelling. My boyfriend is a similar type of person to me whom loves exploring. However he has declined to ever come with me because he wouldn't want to leave his home (dog, mum) I have even suggested going for just two months. I will fund his rent for those two months. But still a decline. I don't know what to do because my head is suggesting he will always pick her over me and we are not going to be able to share what I once thought we would. He said he would stay with me if I travelled but I wanted to create those memories with him
We are both 20 by the way.
I hope I am over reacting!

:rofl: this was me when I was like 19. I'm 23 now and moved out for this being one of the top reasons. My mum is the same way, she is a loner yet very controlling and overbearing of me. I'd go somewhere and she'd either tag along or ask me where I'm going and before never let me go anywhere nor did she let people come over. I refused to be her prisoner. He needs to man up and leave tbh. My girl and I lived together 8 mths til last wk for personal reasons but I mean I was working. Is he working?

*just saw that you're 20. Well motivate him to work towards moving out. But don't rush him. 20 is still a bit young in my eyes, like he can get away with that still.
Reply 2
Original post by Man.bear.pig
:rofl: this was me when I was like 19. I'm 23 now and moved out for this being one of the top reasons. My mum is the same way, she is a loner yet very controlling and overbearing of me. I'd go somewhere and she'd either tag along or ask me where I'm going and before never let me go anywhere nor did she let people come over. I refused to be her prisoner. He needs to man up and leave tbh. My girl and I lived together 8 mths til last wk for personal reasons but I mean I was working. Is he working?

*just saw that you're 20. Well motivate him to work towards moving out. But don't rush him. 20 is still a bit young in my eyes, like he can get away with that still.

Yes! We are both working! The problem is I know he would love to do it but he cannot see past it. He thinks his relationship is healthy but it really isn't. This isn't even me being jealous. When I asked him if he wanted to come he told me the first person he told was her! It's sort of like her opinions rub off on him, she said it wasn't a good idea so he doesn't want to do it. I think living At home is alright for the moment because we're both not on very good money and still training.
How do I get him to see it's a bit weird and over bearing without being offensive?
Also it's nice to hear from the opposite end (someone who had it happen to them)
Original post by Anonymous
Yes! We are both working! The problem is I know he would love to do it but he cannot see past it. He thinks his relationship is healthy but it really isn't. This isn't even me being jealous. When I asked him if he wanted to come he told me the first person he told was her! It's sort of like her opinions rub off on him, she said it wasn't a good idea so he doesn't want to do it. I think living At home is alright for the moment because we're both not on very good money and still training.
How do I get him to see it's a bit weird and over bearing without being offensive?
Also it's nice to hear from the opposite end (someone who had it happen to them)

I basically just have no respect for the guy, tbh, because I was never okay with this when it happened to me. I knew I was better than to be controlled. Tell him cut the umbilical cord or better still ask if he is still getting breast fed. If it hinders the relationship (keep in mind you're both 20, so lay up a bit) but if you see he's not progressing nor intending to, please leave while you're still young.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending