The Student Room Group

I used to be emo, AMA about this

Looking for bog standard questions people have towards those who followed an emo look.
Shoot away

Scroll to see replies

what type of music did you listen to
Reply 2
Why did you stop?
Reply 3
I used to be too :colondollar:

Did you refer to yourself as emo at the time? Or did you do the classic, "I don't see myself as anything, I just like these clothes and/or music"?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by missaxo
what type of music did you listen to

Oh good question, I used to go on people's profiles and find bands that way as I didn't know many myself at the beginning of my transition anyway. And then I'd listen to some songs and stick to a few, such as Dashboard Confessional, Within Temptation, My Evanescence, H.I.M. (my absolute favourite)... I guess these wouldn't be classified as too emo, more like rock or goth not sure anymore haha.
Original post by VannR
Why did you stop?

I actually had two phases of it, the second one stopped because it transitioned into indie and before I knew it I was just wearing jeans and hoodies like everyone else (including my mother). It happened before I knew it kind of thing... also with age I became busier with education and forgot about paying so much attention to my appearance.
Original post by meadow11
I used to be too :colondollar:

Did you refer to yourself as emo at the time? Or did you do the classic, "I don't see myself as anything, I just like these clothes and/or music"?

Oh yeah haha, I knew I was emo but I did enjoy playing the clueless victim to claim authenticity. I used to get called a poser a lot haha those were the days!
Original post by Chemi5try
I'm sure you're a really nice person but just think how your words could affect other people before you blurt out stuff like that. It's a very sensitive topic (self harming) and it's not cool to make comments about it like that.

thanks? lol and ok, I will, at the rest of your sentence. I don't see where it was offensive and I will never know if something is offensive or not until I say it?
Yeah, unfortunately I got bullied too for it. Except for when I moved countries, here in the UK it was a lot more accepted. I'm guessing in a developing country where I came from it was more of a shock and hence a proportionate reaction to it. A lot of people thought I was a Satanist, Romania being a very religious country you see. One of the first things they questioned.
Original post by Man.bear.pig
thanks? lol and ok, I will, at the rest of your sentence. I don't see where it was offensive and I will never know if something is offensive or not until I say it?

Would you have really said that to a group of people in person/ in a class discussion if you were talking about emos?
Original post by Nightingale
Oh yeah haha, I knew I was emo but I did enjoy playing the clueless victim to claim authenticity. I used to get called a poser a lot haha those were the days!

pretty much my favourite word when I met an emo.
so when you became emo or however it works did you not realise how people would react? do you have piercings btw? and do you like My Chemical Romance?
And does this photo

Spoiler

appeal to you?
What did/do you think about guys with the emo fringe?

Embarrassed to say I used to have one :colonhash:
Original post by Nightingale
Oh good question, I used to go on people's profiles and find bands that way as I didn't know many myself at the beginning of my transition anyway. And then I'd listen to some songs and stick to a few, such as Dashboard Confessional, Within Temptation, My Evanescence, H.I.M. (my absolute favourite)... I guess these wouldn't be classified as too emo, more like rock or goth not sure anymore haha.

omg i LOVED evanescence!
Original post by missaxo
omg i LOVED evanescence!

why loveD? I still like them and listen to so much of their music, but this is why I don't like emos. If you like something, legitimately, and emos happen to claim this thing for their image, then you're considered dark or emo or a poser. It's annoying :colonhash: Like being around gangbangers or chavs and you can't wear certain colours and brands anymore :colonhash:
Original post by cake_lover

Original post by ScienceFantatic
Being as obscene as usual I see

Posted from TSR Mobile

:rofl:
[video="youtube;IZvFNQjYB6Q"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZvFNQjYB6Q[/video]

Michael: Because she's Goth, and some ignorant people don't know the difference!
Worker: What is the difference?
Pete: Oh my God! They're totally different!
Worker: Okay, different how?
Pete: They're..ugh.. you know, one is good and -and emos are horrible! [flips hair] You're, you know... They're posers!
Firkle: Emos suck my Goth balls.
Michael: Alright alright, think of it this way: a goth believes that deep down the world is totally ****ed up. But an emo thinks that deep down, they are totally ****ed up.
Worker: That's not much of a difference.
Pete: That's a huge ****ing difference!
Michael: Okay okay, look, emos are more prone to suicide.
Pete: This ****in' bitch, man.
Michael:But goths are more prone to be depressed that so many people commit suicide
Pete:Goth's darkness is nihilistic whereas Emo's is cynical.
Michael:Wait, I thought we were cynical. ...What what whatever, it doesn't matter.
Pete: No, see, you're nihilistic.
Michael: Oh yeah, you're right.
:rofl::rofl::rofl:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by cake_lover

Haha, I wanted one to be my bf that's what I thought of them
Original post by User23
Haha, you gotta love 'tsrians' with their defensive temperaments.

watch the vid. I'm dying everytime.
Reply 18
watch the vid. I'm dying everytime.

😂😂😂😂😂 South park cracks me up every time
why loveD? I still like them and listen to so much of their music, but this is why I don't like emos. If you like something, legitimately, and emos happen to claim this thing for their image, then you're considered dark or emo or a poser. It's annoying :colonhash: Like being around gangbangers or chavs and you can't wear certain colours and brands anymore :colonhash:

No I still listen to them :h: but I used to be obsessed with them haha

Quick Reply

Latest