The Student Room Group

Question

http://i-want-to-study-engineering.org/q/aircraft_drink/
if there is no horizontal force acting as said in the video why would it move away from the centre of curvature and off the table?
Reply 1
External acting forces
Reply 2
Original post by SCAR H
External acting forces

but why away from centre of the curvature and off the table?
Reply 3
Original post by runny4
but why away from centre of the curvature and off the table?

The glass containing the drink wants to continue traveling in a straight line, but the aircraft is turning away. The glass will therefore slide off the side edge of the table, away from the turning direction of the aircraft.

But note it's the aircraft that is actually changing direction, not the glass.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by jneill
The glass containing the drink wants to continue traveling in a straight line, but the aircraft is turning away. The glass will therefore slide off the side edge of the table, away from the turning direction of the aircraft.

Posted from TSR Mobile

The aircraft can be modelled as a particle using curvilinear motion. With curvilinear motion you have two very important components...a transport velocity (that acts away from the r.o.c.) and the tangential velocity tangent to the curved path...when the aircraft turns in a curve these two components of velocity are present & it is this in combination with the initial horizontal velocity that cause the glass to slide off the edge and away from the radius of curvature!
Reply 5
Original post by trapking
The aircraft can be modelled as a particle using curvilinear motion. With curvilinear motion you have two very important components...a transport velocity (that acts away from the r.o.c.) and the tangential velocity tangent to the curved path...when the aircraft turns in a curve these two components of velocity are present & it is this in combination with the initial horizontal velocity that cause the glass to slide off the edge and away from the radius of curvature!

That's what I said :wink:

But you get an A*

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by runny4
http://i-want-to-study-engineering.org/q/aircraft_drink/
if there is no horizontal force acting as said in the video why would it move away from the centre of curvature and off the table?

I notice you post a lot of questions (which is fine and shows you have a passion for learning), but (and my apologies if I am wrong about this) I haven't ever seen you acknowledge the answers/explanations/hints given to you by others.

A "thank you" is always appreciated :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by jneill
I notice you post a lot of questions (which is fine and shows you have a passion for learning), but (and my apologies if I am wrong about this) I haven't ever seen you acknowledge the answers/explanations/hints given to you by others.

A "thank you" is always appreciated :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

sorry will do from now on
Reply 8
Original post by jneill

Posted from TSR Mobile

thanks

Quick Reply

Latest