The Student Room Group

illustration for 2016 entry

I've just finished my AS levels and hope to go straight for A Levels to university to study illustration. I'm currently working on my portfolio and was just wondering if anyone is in the same position as me and could tell me what kind of stuff they are including in their portfolio. ALSO it would be great if someone who has applied for illustration in the past could post a link to the portfolio they used just so I could use it as a reference !
Also, which unis would be the best for studying illustration? My current choices are Falmouth, Bourmouth Arts and Brighton (respectively), are there any others I should consider looking at (preferably not in London since I already live there and want to get out!

any help would be appreciated !!!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jordanamy
I've just finished my AS levels and hope to go straight for A Levels to university to study illustration. I'm currently working on my portfolio and was just wondering if anyone is in the same position as me and could tell me what kind of stuff they are including in their portfolio. ALSO it would be great if someone who has applied for illustration in the past could post a link to the portfolio they used just so I could use it as a reference !
Also, which unis would be the best for studying illustration? My current choices are Falmouth, Bourmouth Arts and Brighton (respectively), are there any others I should consider looking at (preferably not in London since I already live there and want to get out!

Hi! I'm applying to illustration for 2016! The ones I'm looking at are Coventry (they do fine art and illustration), Staffordshire, Portsmouth, and Loughborough (Graphic communication and Illustration). I've been to a few open days so far and they've all basically said make sure they can see development of ideas and take a rough sketchbook with you to the interview.
Reply 2
Ah that's cool! Are you working on your portfolio atm? If you are, what kinda work are you including in it and how many pieces dyou think you're gunna include all together? I've done a few drawings, paintings and model making stuff (haha) and I'm gunna include some of my alevel fine art work too, but I think I need some life drawing too?
Ah that's cool! Are you working on your portfolio atm? If you are, what kinda work are you including in it and how many pieces dyou think you're gunna include all together? I've done a few drawings, paintings and model making stuff (haha) and I'm gunna include some of my alevel fine art work too, but I think I need some life drawing too?

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=974132

I'm gonna do a little bit of everything, but kinda focusing on line work and watercolours bc thats sort of my thing at the moment but it's good to experiment too!! And unless the website for the individual uni says different, I'm gonna include my sketchbook for the final project last year, a rough sketchbook I carry around, the sketchbook I'm taking on holiday later this month, and then the portfolio of any of my best finished/final pieces. Some universities have a limit of like 20 pieces or something so I'll have to look into it a bit further. I know coventry and staffordshire said that they like it when students bring in plenty of development work for them to look at!
If you wanna do some life drawing but can't get to classes, theres this youtube channel called 'onairvideo'! They do virtual life drawing classes called croquis cafe, thats what I use! Here's a link https://www.youtube.com/user/onairvideo
Hey! I've been thinking about applying for Illustration next year too, but haven't been able to decide on if I want to do a Foundation year first or not - I have a thread on here with lots of advice from people about that - and so I'm going to discuss everything with my art teacher in September. I live in Yorkshire and was hoping to apply to places around here, like Leeds, Huddersfield, Manchester and Sheffield, although I'm considering slightly further away!

At the moment I'm working on a summer gallery book which is part of my unit 3 a level coursework that we were set to do over summer, where I'm drawing studies of other artists work in galleries I've been visiting! I know I'll include life drawing in my portfolio, but if thats work from last year or work I create this year in life drawing enrichment at college I'm unsure just yet. We had some advice in a session led by a University of Leeds art teacher who recommended including life drawing and things but not too much - people have a tendency to include everything but that's overwhelming and shows a lack of editing! So I guess you need to hit a balance? I'd say for illustration showing you can work with colour well and narrative is probably really helpful. And they also mentioned to include photos of larger work or 3D work rather than bringing it to interview!

Hope this helps in any way? I'd love to chat more with other people wanting to do illustration :smile:

Hi there,

We offer a really unique degree in Visual Communication - Illustration and many of our students have gone on to work for some great creative companies.In regards to portfolio advice, I've got some handy tips for you right here (just under the How to Apply tab): http://www.bcu.ac.uk/visual-communication/courses/vis-com-illustration-ba-hons

Just give me a shout if you have any more questions. :-)

Reena
(BCU)
Reply 7
Original post by Punk_Rock_Socks
I'm gonna do a little bit of everything, but kinda focusing on line work and watercolours bc thats sort of my thing at the moment but it's good to experiment too!! And unless the website for the individual uni says different, I'm gonna include my sketchbook for the final project last year, a rough sketchbook I carry around, the sketchbook I'm taking on holiday later this month, and then the portfolio of any of my best finished/final pieces. Some universities have a limit of like 20 pieces or something so I'll have to look into it a bit further. I know coventry and staffordshire said that they like it when students bring in plenty of development work for them to look at!
If you wanna do some life drawing but can't get to classes, theres this youtube channel called 'onairvideo'! They do virtual life drawing classes called croquis cafe, thats what I use! Here's a link https://www.youtube.com/user/onairvideo

Ah that's cool! Yeah unis like to see a lot of sketchbook/developmental work i think.
Are you including like, rough sketchbook/developmental work as pieces for your portfolio, or are you just gunna have finished pieces?
Oh and thank you so much for the life drawing videos! That'll help me out so much !!
Reply 8
Original post by RamonaOrange
Hey! I've been thinking about applying for Illustration next year too, but haven't been able to decide on if I want to do a Foundation year first or not - I have a thread on here with lots of advice from people about that - and so I'm going to discuss everything with my art teacher in September. I live in Yorkshire and was hoping to apply to places around here, like Leeds, Huddersfield, Manchester and Sheffield, although I'm considering slightly further away!

At the moment I'm working on a summer gallery book which is part of my unit 3 a level coursework that we were set to do over summer, where I'm drawing studies of other artists work in galleries I've been visiting! I know I'll include life drawing in my portfolio, but if thats work from last year or work I create this year in life drawing enrichment at college I'm unsure just yet. We had some advice in a session led by a University of Leeds art teacher who recommended including life drawing and things but not too much - people have a tendency to include everything but that's overwhelming and shows a lack of editing! So I guess you need to hit a balance? I'd say for illustration showing you can work with colour well and narrative is probably really helpful. And they also mentioned to include photos of larger work or 3D work rather than bringing it to interview!

Hope this helps in any way? I'd love to chat more with other people wanting to do illustration :smile:

When I went to uni open days I always asked the illustration teachers whether a foundation course would be a good idea, and I always got similar replies. They said that it isn't a must as lots of people are accepted onto the course without one, but it would be a good idea if:

1) you are undecided about what area of art & design you would like to go into (foundation courses let you experiment with lots of different subjects like illustration, fine art, graphic design etc)
2) You want to build up your portfolio and improve your artistic skills. Some people won't have enough artwork to build a substantial portfolio and so will need a year to create one. Also, you will be able to experiment with lots of different mediums and so will give your portfolio some diversity.

For me personally, I 100% know that I want to do illustration, and have been doing (and continue to do) lots of artwork to fill up my portfolio, so a foundation course for me is a last option if I don't get accepted into any unis :K: and also, i kinda just wanna go straight to uni instead of waiting an extra year, since all my friends will be off at uni whilst i'll still be at home, y'know ?

Thanks for telling me what you're doing - i don't know anyone in real life applying to do illustration that i can ask all these questions to so I appreciate it! I've also got a sketchbook from college that I have to fill up over summer, we're meant to draw things that no one else notices. It's pretty interesting although I haven't done an awful lot since I've been focusing on my portfolio instead! haha
Ah that's cool! Yeah unis like to see a lot of sketchbook/developmental work i think.
Are you including like, rough sketchbook/developmental work as pieces for your portfolio, or are you just gunna have finished pieces?
Oh and thank you so much for the life drawing videos! That'll help me out so much !!

I've had a look on youtube and stuff at other peoples portfolios and not many of them have any development work but I think I'm gonna get a series of character development pieces or something and put them together on one page? I'm not sure yet
It's okay!
Hey! Yeah I'm kind of in the same boat as you with that I'm certain I want to do illustration, but people's reccomendations to do a foundation year are making me doubt a little bit, and I struggle quite a lot with cofidence in my work and so have no way of gauging if I have enough work for a portfolio! My teacher said they will start giving 1on1 sessions about portfolios and things in September, so I'm just working as much as I can over summer on what's interesting me :smile:

It'll be cool to hear from you some more as you progress! I don't know any other illustrators either- mostly designers, fashion students and painters!
Reply 11
Original post by RamonaOrange
Hey! Yeah I'm kind of in the same boat as you with that I'm certain I want to do illustration, but people's reccomendations to do a foundation year are making me doubt a little bit, and I struggle quite a lot with cofidence in my work and so have no way of gauging if I have enough work for a portfolio! My teacher said they will start giving 1on1 sessions about portfolios and things in September, so I'm just working as much as I can over summer on what's interesting me :smile:

It'll be cool to hear from you some more as you progress! I don't know any other illustrators either- mostly designers, fashion students and painters!

Hey! How much work have you managed to do over the summer? I felt like I did loads but I just collected all the pieces together and it's not as much as I thought :colonhash:

Yeah I think my art teachers at school will help me with my portfolio when I get back as well, although because I do Fine Art I feel like most of my work won't be that relevant for an illustration portfolio, but hey ho!
And another thing - I haven't even started my personal statement yet :s-smilie: I literally don't know how to start it aaaah!! What's your personal statement situation ?

It'll be cool to hear about your progress too! do update me !! :biggrin:
Hey! How much work have you managed to do over the summer? I felt like I did loads but I just collected all the pieces together and it's not as much as I thought :colonhash:

Yeah I think my art teachers at school will help me with my portfolio when I get back as well, although because I do Fine Art I feel like most of my work won't be that relevant for an illustration portfolio, but hey ho!
And another thing - I haven't even started my personal statement yet :s-smilie: I literally don't know how to start it aaaah!! What's your personal statement situation ?

It'll be cool to hear about your progress too! do update me !! :biggrin:

Hey! Well we got given a small A5 sketchbook to work in over the summer to collect together artist research mainly from galleries and things and I feel really good about it, I've just been doing lots of studies but what's most importsnt really is that it's given me a really good idea for my next project in A2! I wouldn't worry about your work too much- it's quality not quantity!

I've done one very rough (quite bad) draft of a personal statement but our form tutors should be working on them with us soon. There's supposed to be good advice videos on UCAS about writing them? But maybe talk to your art teacher more or visit unis and ask the illustration teachers for advice- that's what I'm going to do! :smile:

I'm applying to Bournemouth arts and Brighton too, I also really like the Falmouth course but it's too far away... I'm thinking about applying to Camberwell (UAL)
Reply 14
Original post by Concha22
I'm applying to Bournemouth arts and Brighton too, I also really like the Falmouth course but it's too far away... I'm thinking about applying to Camberwell (UAL)

Oh cool, with or without foundation? and what kinda stuff have you got for your portfolio/sketchbooks?
Yeah Falmouth is really far away but that's one of the reasons i wanna go! Also it's so beautiful there and the uni was really good when I went :smile:
I'm going to apply to camberwell, although as a last resort as it's in london so I'd live at home if I went, which I really don't wanna do haha.
Oh cool, with or without foundation? and what kinda stuff have you got for your portfolio/sketchbooks?
Yeah Falmouth is really far away but that's one of the reasons i wanna go! Also it's so beautiful there and the uni was really good when I went :smile:
I'm going to apply to camberwell, although as a last resort as it's in london so I'd live at home if I went, which I really don't wanna do haha.

I'm hoping without the foundation... but I'm going to apply for the degree and the foundation as an insurance (if that's possible)
I was in the same boat last year -- thought it'd be best to apply for illustration straight from yr 13.

And I tell you now, you'd be better off doing a foundation year as it will give you more options -- unis like you having a foundation year and they don't typically feel that A level is high enough standard to go straight to uni. + it get's you out the academic swing and into the creative one and it feels great.

So I applied to Bournemouth for illustration last year -- got an instant no. They want you to do a foundation year. (I know you can do a foundation there which pretty much gets you into their higher education courses)
Brighton, I got to interview but was the only one in the group interview not to have done a foundation so got a no.
Got a place at Lincoln and Falmouth for illustration and honestly, only having two places was disheartening and I felt like I had little choice in where I was going.

So I figured that the foundation wouldn't hurt and it's been the best decision ever -- compared to a levels, you do whatever you want with no restrictions to freely make art. My work has completely changed to how I was doing in 6th form and it's better; there's more of it because the lecturer encourages you to churn out work for interviews, preparing you for them as soon as you start the course. You're also doing art 100% of the time, not dividing your time between subjects; show's uni's you're dedicated. And with more time on you're hands, you get to do more personal work; which is also something unis want to see. And doing the foundation helps you because the lecturers know the good unis and courses and can help you choose what course is best (As in, I know of more uni's to apply too because 6th form didn't help since they were more focused on academic students, and I also know which ones I won't bother with) + you having a foundation that will put you up higher than those coming straight from a levels -- which is what happened to me and left me with barely any options -- and those people are the ones you're up against if you apply now.

However, if you do go through the whole process and then do a foundation, it's a good experience because you know what to expect at interviews and again it doesn't hurt to try first time round. Also, it gives you more time to talk to students and lecturers at interview (as well as other people applying to find out what they're doing) to find more and it gives you an extra year to decide where to go. You may also apply and have uni's offer you a place for deferred entry but ask you to do a foundation -- happened to a friend who wants to do fine art. You may even get a place without a foundation, who knows. But either way, it's all good experience whatever you do -- hope that helps!
I've got an interview for illustration at CCAD on tuesday!! I haven't done a foundation year, but my portfolio's sorted so i just need to worry about how i speak in the interview- any tips?
Reply 18
Has anyone sent off their online portfolios or got any interviews yet?
I've got an interview for Norwich in January and I sent Falmouth my e-portfolio this morning - I'm so nervous because they're my first choice !!
Question to those, who apply to Falmouth - how are u going to find a job in place like this? I'm asking because I'm in love with that uni, but Falmouth itself seems to be in the middle of nowhere...

I am applying to Arts Uni Bournemouth, Norwich, Coventry, Lincoln and UWE Bristol. Are those unis good options? Please answer me, I am not from the UK and it's really hard for me to make a decision as I can't go to open days and I all I know comes from the Internet :/

Quick Reply

Latest