The Student Room Group

What a-levels should I pick if I want to study fine art at oxford?

I already know I want to do fine art and photography. Is it ok to also do art graphics or should i pick more traditional subjects because it's oxford? I'm also interested in studying architecture but don't know what subjects would be best for that, other than maths.
Original post by Etoilecyber
I already know I want to do fine art and photography. Is it ok to also do art graphics or should i pick more traditional subjects because it's oxford? I'm also interested in studying architecture but don't know what subjects would be best for that, other than maths.

Hiya :smile: On the Oxford website, the requirements for Fine Art are as follows:

A-levels: AAA

Advanced Highers: AA/AAB

IB: 38 (including core points) with 666 at HL

Or any other equivalent (see details of international qualifications) It is highly recommended for candidates to have studied Art to A-level, Advanced Higher, or Higher Level in the IB or another equivalent and to take an Art Foundation course.

Applicants interested in applying for Fine Art who are studying for a BTEC National Extended Diploma (BTEC) will have to submit a portfolio of work, and any offer will require candidates to achieve DDD grades. As the Fine Art degree also includes a substantial history and theory component, BTEC applicants will be expected to have successfully completed a range of modules that include art history.
Please note that because of the practical nature of the Fine Art degree, which also includes a substantial theoretical component, a candidate who has successfully completed the BTEC may be well suited to the content and structure of the degree course at Oxford.

This seems to imply that they would prefer BTEC candidates, rather than people who choose the more traditional A level subjects. That being said, they seem to have a focus on History, so if you can study this- or at least mention it in your personal statement at a later date- that would be good.

With regards to studying Architecture, The Telegraph has compiled an article of FAQs, which can be found here: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/universityeducation/degree-courses/8580585/Architecture-degree-course-guide.html

Here is paragraph on subject choices:

A historic requirement to have maths at A-level has softened recently but high grades at GCSE for maths and physics are still a must. Art can be a useful degree as many institutions will ask for a portfolio of work at GCSE. Architecture is a hugely popular degree option and so the best institutions can demand the top grades. Students should be prepared to radiate passion for this vocation at interview. Oxford Brookes' construction project management programme does require A-level equivalents but only GCSE maths is essential in terms of specifics.

A friend at school, who has offers for Architecture, studies Maths, Art and Biology.

Good luck with your application and I hope this has been helpful!
Reply 2
Reply 3
For architecture Art, Maths and/or Physics and History.
Reply 4
BTW graphics are frowned upon at the faculty of architecture because they would prefer you to be taught the technical side by tutors at cambridge.
Reply 5
Original post by N-R-G
BTW graphics are frowned upon at the faculty of architecture because they would prefer you to be taught the technical side by tutors at cambridge.

thanks :smile: I think I have a much better idea of what subjects to pick now
Reply 6
thanks :smile: I think I have a much better idea of what subjects to pick now

Which ones are you going to go for?
Reply 7
Original post by N-R-G
Which ones are you going to go for?

art, maths, history and either physics or photography
Reply 8
art, maths, history and either physics or photography

I'd go for Physics you'll probably do photography in Art.
Reply 9
Original post by N-R-G
I'd go for Physics you'll probably do photography in Art.

true, plus it would look a lot better to universities if I picked physics
Reply 10
true, plus it would look a lot better to universities if I picked physics

I believe it to be with the other subjects you've picked the perfect combination.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest