The Student Room Group

Modern Languages Applicants 2016

Scroll to see replies

I'm really excited to study French and (beginners) Italian at either Bath or Bristol this September! I also have an offer to study French at KCL but prefer the breadth of the other courses
Really looking forward to *hopefully* studying French and Danish at UCL next year (deferred entry). Any other UCL linguists? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anybody doing Languages at Newcastle University? Drop me an inbox! I'm studying French and Spanish and would love to meet some people who are coming to Newcastle this September :smile:
Anyone doing Japanese at UCLan? :smile: Or even Korean or Chinese?
German with Dutch at Uni of Sheffield :smile:
Original post by roisinc__
I'm really excited to study French and (beginners) Italian at either Bath or Bristol this September! I also have an offer to study French at KCL but prefer the breadth of the other courses

I've just firmed Bath for the same course :biggrin:
Hopefully starting this year, studying French, Spanish with Translation & Interpreting studies. Very exciting, would be nice to know if anyone else is doing the course or a similar one! Cheers :smile:
Where you wanting to study that?
Hi,

have applied to study German and Russian at university and my offers have been from Sheffield, Nottingham and Exeter. Apart from sheffield, the other two uni's gave me an offer pretty late, which means that I have missed the opportunity to go to any post-offer visit days. I didn't attend the open days earlier either. My visit to sheffield was nice though! Loved the city, atmosphere and the the department seemed lovely with lots of interesting modules.

But now I am finding it really difficult to decide... Sheffield and Nottingham are closest to me which does mean it is more convenient, but I have heard such great things about Exeter and how it is a lovely place! (albeit expensive and some are saying really posh). Although I am not a massive believer in league tables, Exeter is a better university overall, for modern languages and even for German and Russian separately...But without having visited the place before hand, i could never know how at home I would feel there.I am also interested in maybe taking up a third language from beginners level, and Nottingham do not offer this! However it wouldn't be the end of the world if I wasn't able to do this, as Russian and German alone are not easy languages at all.

Anyway if anyone has any suggestions, advice or general info on studying languages at those uni's it would be extremely helpful!
Original post by Sonusha88
x

I can't offer you any advice, sorry.

However I will be doing German at Sheffield (alongside Dutch) so I may see you there. :smile:
Original post by heidiphelan
I'm applying to French and German at Oxford and Edinburgh then French, German and ab initio Russian at Durham, Warwick and St Andrews

What AS grades did you get? I'm Y12 and thinking of applying to Oxford to study spanish and beginner's portuguese and could do with some tips!!
Music with a Modern Language still available through Clearing at Bristol.
Original post by verity_ella
What AS grades did you get? I'm Y12 and thinking of applying to Oxford to study spanish and beginner's portuguese and could do with some tips!!

Hey, if you're still applying to Oxford and need any more advice and things do let me know!
Reply 273
Are you going to UCL to study this? I'll be studying French and Spanish at UCL in a couple of weeks!!
Wanting to study German, French and ab initio Spanish. Had conditional offers from Nottingham and Newcastle and an unconditional offer from the university of Birmingham. Still waiting on Durham and Warwick to reply! :smile:

Quick Reply