The Student Room Group

Modern Languages Applicants 2016

Scroll to see replies

Hi!
This is my list of choices:

Newcastle University- Modern Languages (French, Spanish and German)- Offer received
Manchester University- French and Spanish (IPML)- Offer received
Durham University- Modern Languages and Cultures- Application being considered
Leeds University- French and Spanish- Application being considered
University of York- French and Spanish Language- Application being considered

Who else has applied to/ had offers from any of these courses/ universities?
Hey, I'm a first year student at Newcastle Uni doing German & Business. I also got offers from Durham, Leeds, Warwick and Liverpool, so if you have any questions then please feel free to ask :smile:
Original post by peaaceandl0ve
Hey, I'm a first year student at Newcastle Uni doing German & Business. I also got offers from Durham, Leeds, Warwick and Liverpool, so if you have any questions then please feel free to ask :smile:

Hi!
What made you choose Newcastle over Durham? I'm torn at the moment between the two (or I will be if I get an offer from Durham). I absolutely loved Newcastle when I went there- not just the university but the entire place and all of the people. I went to a Durham University open day at the Queen's campus (I was looking at another course there) but haven't been to the main campus although I hear it's amazing and obviously Durham is a very prestigious university (as is Newcastle).

So how did you decide?
Thanks!!
Original post by cakeislife
Good luck to you too! I'm so stressed about the MLAT already :/
Same, Warwick was so nice

Hey, I have lived all my life in Coventry 3 mins round the corner from Warwick uni, feel free to PM me any questions about the area

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Tophat98
Hi!
What made you choose Newcastle over Durham? I'm torn at the moment between the two (or I will be if I get an offer from Durham). I absolutely loved Newcastle when I went there- not just the university but the entire place and all of the people. I went to a Durham University open day at the Queen's campus (I was looking at another course there) but haven't been to the main campus although I hear it's amazing and obviously Durham is a very prestigious university (as is Newcastle).

So how did you decide?
Thanks!!

I have the exact same problem! I have a Newcastle offer and If I got an offer from Durham I wouldn't know which one to choose :frown:
I've applied for French and Spanish at Bristol, Cardiff, Exeter and Southampton and received an offer from Warwick yesterday (AAB) :smile:
Has anyone heard anything from my other choices? I've had confirmation emails and postcards, but I'm not sure if Warwick are giving out offers weirdly early or the others are being slow :/
Original post by 12Chelsea
I've applied for French and Spanish at Bristol, Cardiff, Exeter and Southampton and received an offer from Warwick yesterday (AAB) :smile:
Has anyone heard anything from my other choices? I've had confirmation emails and postcards, but I'm not sure if Warwick are giving out offers weirdly early or the others are being slow :/

Warwick are very fast so don't worry

If it helps, I've applied to Exeter and Southampton, and haven't had any offers yet, so don't worry! Have you been invited to an interview at Soton, with a visiting day?
Also to Cambridge, Durham and St Andrews, for French and Spanish.
Just sent my ucas off yesterday 😁 I've applied for French and Spanish at:
Durham
York
Lancaster
Leeds
Warwick
What are the typical offers looking like from people who've already got theirs?
Hi!
I've applied to Leeds, York and Durham too!

I got an offer from Leeds yesteday which was AAB, with As in French and Spanish.

I have an offer from Cardiff and it took just over a week, but I did get it in before the Oxbridge deadline so that might explain why it was quite quick! I wouldn't worry :smile:
Hi!
I've applied to Leeds, York and Durham too!

I got an offer from Leeds yesteday which was AAB, with As in French and Spanish.

well done on your offer and good luck with the others! Which uni did you like the most out of those? I loved York so I'm praying for an offer from them :smile:
Thank you! I really liked Durham for the university itself and the course content, I loved both the uni and the city when I went to York and although I've spent a lot of time in Leeds and like the city, the course itself put me off it a bit. It's the structure of the year abroad more than anything. I have an offer from Newcastle for French, Spanish and German so I'll probably put that as my first and York or Durham as my insurance choice (if I get offers from them).

My girlfriend has an offer to do psychology at York and is madly in love with the whole place!

Fantastic choice of languages by the way!:wink:
Thank you! I really liked Durham for the university itself and the course content, I loved both the uni and the city when I went to York and although I've spent a lot of time in Leeds and like the city, the course itself put me off it a bit. It's the structure of the year abroad more than anything. I have an offer from Newcastle for French, Spanish and German so I'll probably put that as my first and York or Durham as my insurance choice (if I get offers from them).

My girlfriend has an offer to do psychology at York and is madly in love with the whole place!

Fantastic choice of languages by the way!:wink:

Thanks! Are you looking to take a year abroad? I definitely am because I've just come back from Madrid and I visited Paris in the summer and I fell in love with both places, but my friend who is looking to apply for French shudders at the thought!

Good on you for applying for three languages! I wanted to but my tutor warned me against it so I'm really mad 😂😂
I certainly am- a full year abroad is compulsory in all of the unis I've applied to apart from Leeds:biggrin: I'm hoping to split the year between France and Argentina and then spend the summer in Germany.

Haha thank you- I just liked the idea of picking German up as well because I've been studying French since year 7 and Spanish since year 8. I know that for some places you can choose what languages you do once your there (like Newcastle) and some you can do third language for one or two years and then drop one to focus on the other two. And on top of that some places let you take modules in a new language (e.g. Quecha for Spanish students):biggrin:
Is anyone applying to or already applied to ULIP?
Reply 56
Anyone applying to UCL?
Original post by Flg15
Anyone applying to UCL?

Yes, I applied for French and beginners Dutch
Reply 58
I would like to study German and Spanish at university, but I also wouldnt mind studying French or Italian.

My choices at St Andrews, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Aberdeen and Heriot Watt but I'm still unsure as to whether I even have a chance of getting in. Anyone else feelin this?
Reply 59
Original post by Diabolomenthe
Yes, I applied for French and beginners Dutch

Hi! I'm applying for Spanish and beginners German:smile: have you heard anything?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending