The Student Room Group

Upgraded to Windows 10, but ran into problems with the sleep mode. Help!!!

Hi,
I recently upgraded to windows 10 on my laptop, which is a HP Pavillion. It runs pretty smoothly, except for the fact that every time I close my laptop lid, it goes into sleep mode, but when I try to turn it back on from sleep mode, the laptop screen will not light up, so I need to restart my computer each time it goes into sleep mode. Is there anyone who can help me resolve this issue? I am at my wits end trying to solve this.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/forum/insider_wintp-insider_perf/windows-10-build-10130-sleep-issues/1a82fd6e-bafb-4051-a872-cd9a30da31ce?auth=1

I've tried searching for answers, but there doesn't seem to be any solution to this.
Original post by 1drowssap
Hi,
I recently upgraded to windows 10 on my laptop, which is a HP Pavillion. It runs pretty smoothly, except for the fact that every time I close my laptop lid, it goes into sleep mode, but when I try to turn it back on from sleep mode, the laptop screen will not light up, so I need to restart my computer each time it goes into sleep mode. Is there anyone who can help me resolve this issue? I am at my wits end trying to solve this.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/forum/insider_wintp-insider_perf/windows-10-build-10130-sleep-issues/1a82fd6e-bafb-4051-a872-cd9a30da31ce?auth=1

I've tried searching for answers, but there doesn't seem to be any solution to this.

This is my exact problem!!! Been talking to online support but no fix yet!I have the exact same laptop too.

Does the power button light stay on while you are hibernating/sleep as well?
Mine doesn't hibernate or sleep properly. Needs a restart for it to come back on and my shutdown doesn't work properly. My power button light stays on after its meant to be shut down.

They told me to check for any troubleshooting fixes for power but no luck.
They haven't come across this problem either from what the woman I was talking to was saying.

Edit: after being passed onto different microsoft answer techs I've been told something could be wrong with the installation of windows or this feature of windows 10 hasn't been updated yet. But how have other people not had problems if its a feature?!
He said either revert back to my old windows or wait for an update and not use the sleep/hibernate function.
Very helpful :unimpressed:
(edited 8 years ago)
The advice probably wasn't helpful because there's only so much you can do without any logs or record of what happened, and why.
Is there anything in the Event Viewer under System?

My best guess is something is blocking a power transition, most likely a 3rd party device driver. Without any logs, it's impossible to say.
An xperf trace of shutdown might find a culprit as well.
Reply 3
Original post by tinkerbell_xxx
This is my exact problem!!! Been talking to online support but no fix yet!I have the exact same laptop too.

Does the power button light stay on while you are hibernating/sleep as well?
Mine doesn't hibernate or sleep properly. Needs a restart for it to come back on and my shutdown doesn't work properly. My power button light stays on after its meant to be shut down.

They told me to check for any troubleshooting fixes for power but no luck.
They haven't come across this problem either from what the woman I was talking to was saying.

Edit: after being passed onto different microsoft answer techs I've been told something could be wrong with the installation of windows or this feature of windows 10 hasn't been updated yet. But how have other people not had problems if its a feature?!
He said either revert back to my old windows or wait for an update and not use the sleep/hibernate function.
Very helpful :unimpressed:

Hi Tinkerbell, my laptop is able to hibernate properly, but I've heard other people also face the problem where it can't hibernate properly. And according to the link I posted earlier, they said to either reinstall windows 10 together with a fresh iso file, or alternatively, to switch the setting to 'do nothing' when you close the lid.
The OS itself is very buggy right now, I had a problem - which I still do - where I couldn't access PC settings AT ALL. So that means anything to do with configuring your PC - I couldn't do.

I suggest you type into start, "Feedback" and click the feedback center thing. Then look if your problem has been listed - which it probably has. If not, then put it there. There's not much help online as it's a new OS and lots of people still don't have it yet.
Hi Tinkerbell, my laptop is able to hibernate properly, but I've heard other people also face the problem where it can't hibernate properly. And according to the link I posted earlier, they said to either reinstall windows 10 together with a fresh iso file, or alternatively, to switch the setting to 'do nothing' when you close the lid.

My laptop doesn't even shut down properly. I have to hold down the power button for it to turn off properly otherwise the screen goes off but the power button light stays on.

I spoke to HP support and they said one of the drivers could be missing and told me to download one for windows 8 as there was none for windows 10 but it didn't work :/
Just spoken to another answer tech and now the sleep, hibernate and shutdown function all work :biggrin:
All he did was go onto the power settings and restore them to default and then turn on fast start up (which I turned off in my attempts to fix it) and then it worked. Lets hope it carries on working :biggrin:
Reply 7
Original post by Jared44
The advice probably wasn't helpful because there's only so much you can do without any logs or record of what happened, and why.
Is there anything in the Event Viewer under System?

My best guess is something is blocking a power transition, most likely a 3rd party device driver. Without any logs, it's impossible to say.
An xperf trace of shutdown might find a culprit as well.

This is part of my event log. I'm not sure if this helps

Error 4/8/2015 5:31:16 AM Microsoft-Windows-DistributedCOM 10010 None The server App.AppX8h0bdkbb5frkt9s09fvshhbvqnntmvm1.mca did not register with DCOM within the required timeout.

Error 4/8/2015 5:31:15 AM Microsoft-Windows-DistributedCOM 10010 None The server Windows.Networking.BackgroundTransfer.Internal.BackgroundTransferTask.ClassId.1 did not register with DCOM within the required timeout.

Error 4/8/2015 5:31:15 AM Microsoft-Windows-DistributedCOM 10010 None The server Windows.Networking.BackgroundTransfer.Internal.BackgroundTransferTask.ClassId.1 did not register with DCOM within the required timeout.

Error 4/8/2015 5:31:14 AM Microsoft-Windows-DistributedCOM 10010 None The server CortanaUI did not register with DCOM within the required timeout.

Error 4/8/2015 5:31:14 AM Service Control Manager 7031 None The Sync Host_Session1 service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 1 time(s). The following corrective action will be taken in 10000 milliseconds: Restart the service.
This is part of my event log. I'm not sure if this helps

Error 4/8/2015 5:31:16 AM Microsoft-Windows-DistributedCOM 10010 None The server App.AppX8h0bdkbb5frkt9s09fvshhbvqnntmvm1.mca did not register with DCOM within the required timeout.

Error 4/8/2015 5:31:14 AM Microsoft-Windows-DistributedCOM 10010 None The server CortanaUI did not register with DCOM within the required timeout.

Error 4/8/2015 5:31:14 AM Service Control Manager 7031 None The Sync Host_Session1 service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 1 time(s). The following corrective action will be taken in 10000 milliseconds: Restart the service.

No, I don't think they're the problem. DCOM and service control manager issues are unrelated to pnp ones.
Reply 9
Original post by Jared44
No, I don't think they're the problem. DCOM and service control manager issues are unrelated to pnp ones.

Hi Jared, the problem just happened again. Here is my event log.
Just a bit of info. The time i let the computer go into sleep mode was at 4.53 pm. I turned it back on at about 10.45pm.

Warning 5/8/2015 10:47:07 PM Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Processor-Power 37 (7) The speed of processor 0 in group 0 is being limited by system firmware. The processor has been in this reduced performance state for 71 seconds since the last report.

Warning 5/8/2015 10:47:07PM Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Processor-Power 37 (7) The speed of processor 2 in group 0 is being limited by system firmware. The processor has been in this reduced performance state for 71 seconds since the last report.

Warning 5/8/2015 10:47:07 PM Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Processor-Power 37 (7) The speed of processor 3 in group 0 is being limited by system firmware. The processor has been in this reduced performance state for 71 seconds since the last report.

Warning 5/8/2015 10:47:07 Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Processor-Power 37 (7) The speed of processor 1 in group 0 is being limited by system firmware. The processor has been in this reduced performance state for 71 seconds since the last report.

Error 5/8/2015 10:46:44 PM Microsoft-Windows-WLAN-AutoConfig 10000 None "WLAN Extensibility Module has failed to start.Module Path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\Rtlihvs.dllError Code: 126"

Error 5/8/2015 10:46:51 PM Server 2505 None The server could not bind to the transport \Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{0989CAE2-D002-4058-8DA8-AC449F9C0779} because another computer on the network has the same name. The server could not start.

Critical 5/8/2015 10:46:51 PM Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power 41 (63) The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.

Error 5/8/2015 10:46:51 PM EventLog 6008 None The previous system shutdown at 5:35:01 PM on ‎8/‎5/‎2015 was unexpected.

Warning 5/8/2015 4:53:05 PM Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Processor-Power 37 (7) The speed of processor 2 in group 0 is being limited by system firmware. The processor has been in this reduced performance state for 150598 seconds since the last report.

Warning 5/8/2015 4:53:05 PM Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Processor-Power 37 (7) The speed of processor 0 in group 0 is being limited by system firmware. The processor has been in this reduced performance state for 150598 seconds since the last report.

Warning 5/8/2015 4:53:05 PM Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Processor-Power 37 (7) The speed of processor 1 in group 0 is being limited by system firmware. The processor has been in this reduced performance state for 150598 seconds since the last report.

Warning 5/8/2015 4:53:05 PM Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Processor-Power 37 (7) The speed of processor 3 in group 0 is being limited by system firmware. The processor has been in this reduced performance state for 150598 seconds since the last report.
(edited 8 years ago)
I think Intel SpeedStep in the BIOS causes those event logs for the processor speed being limited by system firmware.

Let's see if we can get a trace for sleep.

Download the Software Development Kit from here, then install the Windows Performance Toolkit.
https://dev.windows.com/en-us/downloads/windows-10-sdk

The type cmd in the search bar, right click and run ad Administrator, then paste the following:xbootmgr -trace standby -traceFlags BASE+CSWITCH+DRIVERS+POWER -resultPath C:\TEMPIt should put your computer to sleep, then wake it up to complete the trace.
I'm not 100% sure on whether it will work given the situation, but it's worth a shot.

Then upload the .etl file to file sharing site and paste the link.
Lol you jokers just change your power plans.. Problem solved

Posted from TSR Mobile
Try using a local account instead of a Microsoft account. For me it has solved a lot of issues at least.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending