The Student Room Group

Help - Confused!

Hi,

I live in West London and have been offered a Marketing job for a company based in Woking, which is great, but I am not too sure whether to accept it or not. I have a couple of issues which I'm a bit confused about:

-The salary is 19k and I am currently on a slightly higher salary located much closer to where I live;
-The transport costs are quite high: Train = £70 per week, Car (petrol + parking) = Approx. £105 per week
-Hours 9 - 5.30pm, meaning I have to leave at 7.30am (Woking is a 40min drive without any traffic from where I live, approx. 1hr on the train)

Thus, I'm not too sure whether to go ahead with it or not - your opinions would be highly valuable. I have had quite a few interviews and callbacks in the last 2 and a half months that I have been applying so I am somewhat confident I will find something if I don't go ahead with this, however my current line of work is admin-based (I have been working in the NHS for the last 5 years) so I'm thinking whether it'll be quite difficult to get a Marketing related position?
Reply 1
Is it worth taking for a short period of time to embellish your CV so you could then move onto doing something closer but similar?
Reply 2
Original post by Detiri17
Is it worth taking for a short period of time to embellish your CV so you could then move onto doing something closer but similar?

That's what I'm thinking but it is going to be a struggle in terms of money.. trying the weigh out the pros and cons!
Reply 3
Original post by jimbob_
That's what I'm thinking but it is going to be a struggle in terms of money.. trying the weigh out the pros and cons!

Well with most decisions in life I find it's helpful to write down a list of all the pros and cons so you can see them clearly in front of you, then you can work from there
Reply 4
Original post by Detiri17
Well with most decisions in life I find it's helpful to write down a list of all the pros and cons so you can see them clearly in front of you, then you can work from there

Yeah, think I will be doing that.. Thanks!
Reply 5
It would seem the decision boils down to two options.

You are currently on a higher salary with a much shorter commuting distance.

You have been offered a job on a lower salary with a longer commuting distance, yet the experience is something that you're interested in and the role will potentially lead to a better paid role in the same field.

You clearly are interested in the marketing job, as otherwise you would have ruled it out for the practical reasons should you not be that fussed.

Perhaps the best way to put it is the short term gain of the shorter commute and higher salary, versus the long term gain of a higher salary in a field that interests you more greatly.

You must have had a gut feeling when offered the stated job, and I would probably follow that feeling.
Reply 6
Original post by vimto39
It would seem the decision boils down to two options.

You are currently on a higher salary with a much shorter commuting distance.

You have been offered a job on a lower salary with a longer commuting distance, yet the experience is something that you're interested in and the role will potentially lead to a better paid role in the same field.

You clearly are interested in the marketing job, as otherwise you would have ruled it out for the practical reasons should you not be that fussed.

Perhaps the best way to put it is the short term gain of the shorter commute and higher salary, versus the long term gain of a higher salary in a field that interests you more greatly.

You must have had a gut feeling when offered the stated job, and I would probably follow that feeling.

Hey, thanks for your reply =) That is very much true! What I'm thinking is whether to keep looking for something closer and let this pass, hoping I would find something soon or should I hustle for a year lol.
Reply 7
Original post by jimbob_
Hey, thanks for your reply =) That is very much true! What I'm thinking is whether to keep looking for something closer and let this pass, hoping I would find something soon or should I hustle for a year lol.

I don't know much about marketing so couldn't really comment, but is the company you've been offered a job by a decent firm?

If yes, it might be worth playing the waiting game. I say this as you're clearly desirable enough to be offered this job, so you should be desirable to other marketing firms.

Guess, ultimately, if in a year you're in the same job you're in now, would you be miffed? That's what it comes down to.
Reply 8
Original post by vimto39
I don't know much about marketing so couldn't really comment, but is the company you've been offered a job by a decent firm?

If yes, it might be worth playing the waiting game. I say this as you're clearly desirable enough to be offered this job, so you should be desirable to other marketing firms.

Guess, ultimately, if in a year you're in the same job you're in now, would you be miffed? That's what it comes down to.

Well, it's a UK based email marketing firm, quite widely known I think - or so I hope.

Yeah exactly that's what I thought, but yes I will be quite annoyed if I'm still in my current job a year from now. However, I have only been applying for 3 months and have had several interviews and this job offer now.. so maybe I should just grab this chance or keep trying..

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending