The Student Room Group

Which is the most competetive course to get onto ?

Just out of curiosity, if there were any stats posted recently. In particular, for subjects like English, Law, Medicine, Natural Sciences, Economics, Classics and Engineering :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Big Blue Machine
Just out of curiosity, if there were any stats posted recently. In particular, for subjects like English, Law, Medicine, Natural Sciences, Economics, Classics and Engineering :smile:

Assuming "competitiveness" is the success rate (accepted/applicants) for those courses: Economics followed by Engineering are the most competitive. (Architecture is actually the most competitive).

And of those, Classics is the least competitive. (In 2014 Theology was actually the least competitive. But it was Classics in 2013.)

http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/apply/statistics

Specifically: (pdf)
http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/files/publications/undergrad_admissions_statistics_2014_cycle.pdf

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
@Big Blue Machine

A spreadsheet ranking courses from least to most competitive (by success rate)...

Screen Shot 2015-08-04 at 10.00.20.jpg
(edited 8 years ago)
The amount of people who fail to meet their offers for maths

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by ScienceFantatic
The amount of people who fail to meet their offers for maths

Posted from TSR Mobile

= STEP

Posted from TSR Mobile

I guessed as much, but is it really that hard?
Success rate is an overly simplistic way of looking at things. The average Mathmo or Medic applicant (for example) will be much stronger than the average PBS applicant.
Reply 7
Original post by ScienceFantatic
I guessed as much, but is it really that hard?

Further maths a level is childsplay in comparison. My revision for my A2 exams this year was done the night or 2 before each exam. STEP work was from January to the end of May.
Reply 8
STEP takes you beyond degree level. Is this true?
Reply 9
Original post by N-R-G

nowhere close!!!
Reply 10
Original post by TeeEm
nowhere close!!!

So how hard is it? Like as hard as the maths olympics? Or first year of a degree?
Reply 11
Original post by N-R-G
So how hard is it? Like as hard as the maths olympics? Or first year of a degree?

they all different things ...

STEP is very hard A level maths

Degree is far higher than STEP

Olympics is very different mathematics (problem solving). Some questions require maturity found at the end of a maths degree.
Reply 12
Original post by TeeEm
they all different things ...

STEP is very hard A level maths

Degree is far higher than STEP

Olympics is very different mathematics (problem solving). Some questions require maturity found at the end of a maths degree.

Is it similar to the aptitude tests you take for Oxford?
Reply 13
Original post by N-R-G
Is it similar to the aptitude tests you take for Oxford?

it is similar to MAT taken in Oxford but harder and broader
Reply 14
Original post by TeeEm
it is similar to MAT taken in Oxford but harder and broader

Ok I think I get it its something I can't do. Have you taken it? (you don't have to answer if you don't want to)
Reply 15
Original post by N-R-G

No, the knowledge you need is no more than a level, you just need to apply it in a different (more challenging) way.
Ive heard that people who have graduated from uni still find it challenging since you dont learn many new techniques that make step easier.
Reply 16
Original post by raff97
No, the knowledge you need is no more than a level, you just need to apply it in a different (more challenging) way.
Ive heard that people who have graduated from uni still find it challenging since you dont learn many new techniques that make step easier.

How do they do that?:tongue:
Reply 17
Original post by N-R-G
Ok I think I get it its something I can't do. Have you taken it? (you don't have to answer if you don't want to)

I finished my A levels in 1984.

In my days there different things to prove yourself, besides I went to UCL.
Reply 18
Original post by TeeEm
I finished my A levels in 1984.

In my days there different things to prove yourself, besides I went to UCL.

1984 LoL sorry ...are you a teacher?
Reply 19
Original post by N-R-G
1984 LoL sorry ...are you a teacher?

retired this year.

lecturer and teacher

Quick Reply

Latest