The Student Room Group

How hard is it for BTEC students going onto university?

So as the title suggests I am a BTEC student starting university in September. I was wondering how difficult is university for a BTEC student in terms of the work and of course exams. I am planning to study Biochemistry. If anyone has any tips and/or personal experiences they would like to share I would really appreciate it.

Scroll to see replies

Depends on how much of your course is exam based?

If it is mainly exam based, it is likely you will struggle, because you have not had the additional 2 years of practicing revising for exams. In addition, you opted to take none exam based qualification instead of Chemistry and Biology A levels, which signals you are not so confident with exams.

I would say you will find it hard, but I don't think it will be impossible for you to do well at all, just need to change your mind set from coursework based qualification to exam based ones.
Reply 2
Original post by Yellow636
Depends on how much of your course is exam based?

If it is mainly exam based, it is likely you will struggle, because you have not had the additional 2 years of practicing revising for exams. In addition, you opted to take none exam based qualification instead of Chemistry and Biology A levels, which signals you are not so confident with exams.

I would say you will find it hard, but I don't think it will be impossible for you to do well at all, just need to change your mind set from coursework based qualification to exam based ones.

I think my course has quite a lot of exams lol since I have exams in January as well! Guess you are right about putting my head down and really trying hard or else the £9000 a year is useless.
Reply 3
I didnt find it too difficult, at the end of the day you will have learnt the same stuff just applied it in a different way, you will soon adjust at university, everyone has to no matter what their entry qualifications
One thing I have picked up from an admissions tutor is that BTEC students who go on to study STEM subjects (where maths is one of the required A Levels) can struggle a bit with the maths as they often haven't taken BTEC modules that cover maths in as much breadth / depth.

So, if this applies to you, I'd suggest self teaching a bit of maths from the A Level syllabus as it will help to ease your transition.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
I did BTEC A-levels :smile:
For me, i found the coursework easier to do and understand because i was used to it from the btec courses i did... but i did struggle with exams :/ ive just finished 2nd yr and just found out what revision technique works for me.. but i think it can depend on the individual :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Origami Bullets
One thing I have picked up from an admissions tutor is that BTEC students who go on to study STEM subjects (where maths is one of the required A Levels) can struggle a bit with the maths as they often haven't taken BTEC modules that cover maths in as much breadth / depth.

So, if this applies to you, I'd suggest self teaching a bit of maths from the A Level syllabus as it will help to ease your transition.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I did a BTEC and did awesome in my both my maths modules.
Depends what you want to do and what uni you want to go to naive fine a year at a BTEC and have decided A Levels came me better options and chances so I've resat a load of exams to try and get into an A Level college instead. Just because that's the better option for me doesn't meant it is for you. A lot of people on my course we're university bound and some have even got in this year and just did a BTEC as a booster for UCAS.
Reply 8
Original post by RoundTrip
I did a BTEC and did awesome in my both my maths modules.

I'm sure you did do well but I think what Origami Bullets was getting at was that the actual maths content of BTECs don't go as in depth as A-levels. It's more like scratching the surface of calculus etc. Having done a BTEC myself in applied science with about 4 maths units (got distinctions in every unit) I know this is true. My college do engineering courses too and seeing how easy my friends maths assignments were compared to A-levels was shocking as engineering is primarily maths-based. BTEC maths are nowhere near as intensive as A-level maths, the maths assignments were very easy and as such I ended up teaching myself A-level maths (on the advice of a teacher no less as even he knew the maths was not up to par) in order to better prepare myself for a chemical engineering degree this September.

I think, depending on if you know what sort of course you want to do at uni (if you want to go), a science or engineering BTEC should have an A-level to go with it like maths or chemistry as the chemistry isn't as in-depth either. Also, a lot of the good unis ask for this in their BTEC entry requirements for STEM courses.

In response to the OPs question, I think if you're the type of student who did a BTEC because you struggle with exams, then I think it will be a massive adjustment to uni particularly if your course is heavily exam-based. Not saying it's impossible but you will have to put the work in to adapt. Quite a few people in my course chose not to go to uni because they thought they couldn't handle exams.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by Nyssa_J
I did BTEC A-levels :smile:
For me, i found the coursework easier to do and understand because i was used to it from the btec courses i did... but i did struggle with exams :/ ive just finished 2nd yr and just found out what revision technique works for me.. but i think it can depend on the individual :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you dont mind me asking what subject are you doing at uni?
Reply 10
Original post by holly1798
Depends what you want to do and what uni you want to go to naive fine a year at a BTEC and have decided A Levels came me better options and chances so I've resat a load of exams to try and get into an A Level college instead. Just because that's the better option for me doesn't meant it is for you. A lot of people on my course we're university bound and some have even got in this year and just did a BTEC as a booster for UCAS.

Thank you for you reply, I only got a bit worried because I realized how many exams there are for my course (Biochemistry) and a lot of my teachers said that it will be a challenge, especially since I haven't done exams for the past two years.
Reply 11
Original post by Origami Bullets

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you for the useful information. In my BTEC course there were two stats units which were part of the syllabus but, like you said, I do need to teach myself some more, but without knowing what kind of maths/stats is involved, it is pointless at this stage?
Reply 12
Original post by goodwinning
I'm sure you did do well but I think what Origami Bullets was getting at was that the actual maths content of BTECs don't go as in depth as A-levels. It's more like scratching the surface of calculus etc. Having done a BTEC myself in applied science with about 4 maths units (got distinctions in every unit) I know this is true. My college do engineering courses too and seeing how easy my friends maths assignments were compared to A-levels was shocking as engineering is primarily maths-based. BTEC maths are nowhere near as intensive as A-level maths, the maths assignments were very easy and as such I ended up teaching myself A-level maths (on the advice of a teacher no less as even he knew the maths was not up to par) in order to better prepare myself for a chemical engineering degree this September.

I think, depending on if you know what sort of course you want to do at uni (if you want to go), a science or engineering BTEC should have an A-level to go with it like maths or chemistry as the chemistry isn't as in-depth either. Also, a lot of the good unis ask for this in their BTEC entry requirements for STEM courses.

In response to the OPs question, I think if you're the type of student who did a BTEC because you struggle with exams, then I think it will be a massive adjustment to uni particularly if your course is heavily exam-based. Not saying it's impossible but you will have to put the work in to adapt. Quite a few people in my course chose not to go to uni because they thought they couldn't handle exams.

Yea you have a good point there. I guess I will have to put down my head from day one then. Also, what type of maths did you teach yourself, I mean would it not be better if you waited till September to actually see what kind of maths is involved? and in what kind of depth?
Reply 13
Original post by polerat
Yea you have a good point there. I guess I will have to put down my head from day one then. Also, what type of maths did you teach yourself, I mean would it not be better if you waited till September to actually see what kind of maths is involved? and in what kind of depth?

Everyone is in the same situation really going into uni both A-level or otherwise so I think if you go into it with a good mindset and apply yourself well you stand as good a chance as any :smile:

I'm doing chemical engineering so obviously this course is heavily maths-based so I just bought A-levels maths books and went through them. Online stuff, YouTube tutorials etc. My GCSE maths was alright as I got an A* so I just needed to get my maths up to A-level so basically self-taught myself A-level maths. My maths teacher did chem eng at uni so he was able to recommend some good books for me to build a good foundation in calculus which is important for engineering. I don't think it'd be a good idea for my situation to wait till September before attempting any kind of calculus/A-level maths as I'm doing engineering. That sounds like a recipe for disaster and I reckon I'd struggle massively to keep up.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Original post by goodwinning

the IT BTEC units 'Maths for IT Practitioners' and 'Computer Systems Architecture' are pretty good, it covers a decent amount of what was in my first year Computer Science Maths modules

Also isnt 'Further Maths for Engineering' meant to be pretty good for those going on to study Mech or EE Engineering at uni (just what i heard, i didnt do Engineering) apparently York accept that unit instead of a full A level in Maths (which is the A level requirement) i think a lot of other good unis do too including Bath?
Original post by polerat
So as the title suggests I am a BTEC student starting university in September. I was wondering how difficult is university for a BTEC student in terms of the work and of course exams. I am planning to study Biochemistry. If anyone has any tips and/or personal experiences they would like to share I would really appreciate it.

I think university is hard in general for people who have done a levels,btec and other qualifications.This is because university work is not suppose to be easy right..at many universities if you do have some troubles there are always places to go for help...tbh it doesn't really matter if you did btec/a levels if you have some difficulty in some areas you have to try to find help.

We are all humans we all find certain things difficult we just have find ways to make it less difficult.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by polerat
Thank you for you reply, I only got a bit worried because I realized how many exams there are for my course (Biochemistry) and a lot of my teachers said that it will be a challenge, especially since I haven't done exams for the past two years.

Could you not do a foundation year course? I don't know much about them myself but I know for some BTEC student that's an option. I didn't do exams for over a year and just sat to and it didn't feel as strange as I thought it would be sitting in a hall doing exams... I would still consider it but obviously you need to do what you feel you are capable and comfortable with
Reply 17
Original post by yt7777
the IT BTEC units 'Maths for IT Practitioners' and 'Computer Systems Architecture' are pretty good, it covers a decent amount of what was in my first year Computer Science Maths modules

Also isnt 'Further Maths for Engineering' meant to be pretty good for those going on to study Mech or EE Engineering at uni (just what i heard, i didnt do Engineering) apparently York accept that unit instead of a full A level in Maths (which is the A level requirement) i think a lot of other good unis do too including Bath?

I can't comment on any IT units as I don't have any experience with them whether first-hand or from people I know doing them.

However, the college I was based at offered science and lots of engineering BTEC courses and pretty much every (engineering) student there complained about the poor content of maths units especially when it came to them attempting to apply to good unis. I know someone who went from applied science to engineering so he has experience of both courses and he echoes these sentiments. A popular uni choice in my college for those wanting to do engineering is Manchester (which is great for engineering) and I've heard from BTEC students that they struggled in the maths test at interview because they hadn't been taught properly hence why I used the term scratching the surface. They surely must've covered the topics but not as in-depth as it is probably required.

As for Bath, they actually require A-level maths at grade A alongside a BTEC even if you're doing specific maths units (which need to be at distinction). Hate using this term but "lesser unis" are obviously not going to be as strict with the entry requirements and therefore will be more willing to take on a BTEC by itself.

Also, just because it's accepted by a university doesn't mean it provides a good foundation of knowledge in maths to succeed in the course; I know people who've managed to get into good unis for engineering like Sheffield, Leeds etc. with just a BTEC but they've struggled to keep up and long story short, it hasn't ended well for them. Btw, I'm not directing this at you or implying this will be the case for everyone who's done a BTEC. I just think that if anyone is looking to do any maths-based course at uni from a BTEC it would be in their best interests to do an A-level in maths alongside it if they can. It would help them in the long-run.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 18
Original post by Sandra1
I think university is hard in general for people who have done a levels,btec and other qualifications.This is because university work is not suppose to be easy right..at many universities if you do have some troubles there are always places to go for help...tbh it doesn't really matter if you did btec/a levels if you have some difficulty in some areas you have to try to find help.

We are all humans we all find certain things difficult we just have find ways to make it less difficult.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I heard that college is supposed to be harder than your degree, is this true? But obviously with college I guess they mean A-levels.
Reply 19
Original post by holly1798
Could you not do a foundation year course? I don't know much about them myself but I know for some BTEC student that's an option. I didn't do exams for over a year and just sat to and it didn't feel as strange as I thought it would be sitting in a hall doing exams... I would still consider it but obviously you need to do what you feel you are capable and comfortable with

I was considering a foundation year but then I was offered a place on the normal degree program and thought I could handle it lol. Also I wasn't sure if the foundation year is worth it in terms of the money and time.

Quick Reply

Latest