The Student Room Group
North Campus, Birmingham City University
Birmingham City University
Birmingham
Visit website

Some questions on clearing and accommodation...

Hi, I have a few questions and was hoping you guys might be able to help me out...

I'm applying via clearing for Visual Communication, I dropped out of the University of Leeds last year to pursue a different career path.

I really do not want to remain living at home although I live in Birmingham so I'll be applying for accommodation.
I was wondering what how likely it would be that I will be offered a room and if there are any other alternatives you'd suggest for me.

Also, I read that there has to be a deposit and a month's rent paid beforehand. I will be getting no support from my family and was hoping that there might be some help available for covering the month's rent. I have been working since leaving Leeds but there is no way that I can cover it on my own and I'm not sure when the first student loan payment becomes available.

Original post by Lialore
Hi, I have a few questions and was hoping you guys might be able to help me out...

I'm applying via clearing for Visual Communication, I dropped out of the University of Leeds last year to pursue a different career path.

I really do not want to remain living at home although I live in Birmingham so I'll be applying for accommodation.
I was wondering what how likely it would be that I will be offered a room and if there are any other alternatives you'd suggest for me.

Also, I read that there has to be a deposit and a month's rent paid beforehand. I will be getting no support from my family and was hoping that there might be some help available for covering the month's rent. I have been working since leaving Leeds but there is no way that I can cover it on my own and I'm not sure when the first student loan payment becomes available.

I'm not familiar with the university so can't answer your queries about accommodation, but I suggest you have a chat with your bank about a student bank account and see what they can do for you. You may be able to sort out an arranged overdraft to cover your first payment, and your first loan payment will appear when you have started attending the university, usually during the first week of teaching. Keep some of your earnings handy to get you through the first few weeks after moving in until your loan comes through. In order to open a student bank account, you will probably need to present proof of acceptance, so once your place has been confirmed by post, take the letter with you.
North Campus, Birmingham City University
Birmingham City University
Birmingham
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by carrotstar
I'm not familiar with the university so can't answer your queries about accommodation, but I suggest you have a chat with your bank about a student bank account and see what they can do for you. You may be able to sort out an arranged overdraft to cover your first payment, and your first loan payment will appear when you have started attending the university, usually during the first week of teaching. Keep some of your earnings handy to get you through the first few weeks after moving in until your loan comes through. In order to open a student bank account, you will probably need to present proof of acceptance, so once your place has been confirmed by post, take the letter with you.

Ahh, thank you, I totally forgot about the overdraft!
Unfortunately I think the opening fee-free amount is only £500, and I'd need £520ish for the rent alone. But maybe I could sort something out with my bank.
Thanks for the advice ^^
Original post by Lialore
Ahh, thank you, I totally forgot about the overdraft!
Unfortunately I think the opening fee-free amount is only £500, and I'd need £520ish for the rent alone. But maybe I could sort something out with my bank.
Thanks for the advice ^^

Yeah that sounds familiar! Do you have any earnings saved from your job? And do you have your job currently? (If so, get saving; you'll thank yourself later)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending