The Student Room Group

Age discrimination?

Can a company reject an apprenticeship application because of age?
"client have specifically requested a younger candidate"

or is this age discrimination?
Original post by Hellothereyou

I believe they can as businesses are given grants specifically to recruit 16-24 year olds.
On the flip side they can also request 18+ or 21+ due to the nature of a job so it goes both ways really.

Go back and ask why they wanted a younger candidate. If they say something 'because they grants for the scheme are only applicable to people aged xx-zz' and you are aged aa, then that's fine. The person who told you they had 'specifically requested a younger candidate' was just being sloppy with their description of the actual feedback.

However, if the feedback is 'They just felt they'd rather invest their time in someone who was under xx and you are aa', then I rather suspect you've got them over a barrel - that does seem to be age discrimination. The CAB would be able to advise more accurately.

It's certainly a very dodgy bit of feedback to give.
I am 22, So would still fit in the funding category as its a 2 year apprenticeship.
Original post by threeportdrift
Go back and ask why they wanted a younger candidate. If they say something 'because they grants for the scheme are only applicable to people aged xx-zz' and you are aged aa, then that's fine. The person who told you they had 'specifically requested a younger candidate' was just being sloppy with their description of the actual feedback.

However, if the feedback is 'They just felt they'd rather invest their time in someone who was under xx and you are aa', then I rather suspect you've got them over a barrel - that does seem to be age discrimination. The CAB would be able to advise more accurately.

It's certainly a very dodgy bit of feedback to give.

What is the "CAB"?
What is the "CAB"?

Citizen's Advice Bureau - think they might have dropped the word Bureau actually. Most towns have an office.

Quick Reply

Latest