The Student Room Group

Am i still entitled to free dentistry?

I'm 18, I made a slight chip to my incisor tooth in January and I had it filling a few days after (this happened when I was 17). Now part of the filling has fallen out and now that I'm 18 I don't know if I'm still entitled to free dentistry because the NHS website says you are entitled if you are "under 19 and in full-time education". I've just finished my A-Level and I'm hoping to start university in September. Since I've finished college I don't know if I'm still classified as full-time education and I don't want to wait until university starts.
Original post by Rattygun
I'm 18, I made a slight chip to my incisor tooth in January and I had it filling a few days after (this happened when I was 17). Now part of the filling has fallen out and now that I'm 18 I don't know if I'm still entitled to free dentistry because the NHS website says you are entitled if you are "under 19 and in full-time education". I've just finished my A-Level and I'm hoping to start university in September. Since I've finished college I don't know if I'm still classified as full-time education and I don't want to wait until university starts.

You arent eligible for free once you start uni, at least i wasnt allowed it.
you can fill in a hc1 form now so you might get a reduction?
Original post by claireestelle
You arent eligible for free once you start uni, at least i wasnt allowed it.

It doesn't matter on the level of education. You just have to be under 19 and in full time education.
Original post by OU Student
It doesn't matter on the level of education. You just have to be under 19 and in full time education.

My welsh dentist refused to do it for free after i left sixth form, so had a filling done on my last day of sixth form.
Reply 5
Well this is kind of confusing because one side is saying yes whilst the other is saying no. I'm living in England if that makes a difference. Can I still go now? I haven't started Uni yet
My brother is 18, in uni and gets free dental care. Hes from London but studies in wales. OU student is right anyone under 19 and in full time education gets it.
Original post by OU Student

I was 18 and in my first year of uni and they refused to give me it for free and because of the student loan + pitiful level of income that both my parents have (~21k each) I wasn't entitled to a HC1 form pass thing either.
It's a bit of an odd position that you're in as you're between education providers. It would usually be free because you're under 19 but with you not strictly currently being in education they can be fussy.

All you can do is contact your dentist and see what they say.

Once you're at uni, join the local uni dentist and apply for the HC2 certificate as early as possible. Some people get them, some don't but if you are given one they are an absolute lifesaver. Mine didn't ask about parental income so it was granted fairly easily.

Good luck with your poor teeth!
(edited 8 years ago)
On the nhs website they state full time education is college or uni

http://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/HealthCosts/1546.aspx

If you are properly informed they cant refute facts.
I don't understand how people cant get the hc1 certificate if the limit is £16000 and student finance is below that ?

Quick Reply

Latest