The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by stephannalee
Dont in the slightest regret not getting into medicine as I have absolutely loved my time in Nottingham, made so many friends, really enjoyed the course and feel as though Ive grown as a person. However I am now planning on reapplying for medical school as I'd still really like to become a doctor (to be honest I thought I might change my mind but I haven't) and the stuff Ive learnt doing neuroscience has only made me want to do medicine more (have done a lot of physiology (core) and some immunology and parasitic disease (optional) on the course. I personally really enjoy developmental neurobiology, but also a big fan of the autonomic nervous system as it ties in more with physiology of other parts of the body and we've done quite a bit the pharmacology of the ANS too. From what Ive gathered from talking to people neuroscience seems to be more respected by the general public as it sounds cleverer, I may be a bit bias but Id also always choose neuroscience over biomed, though at the end of the day you should do what you think you're going to find most interesting. Personally don't think I've learnt anything that has changed my habits at all from a neuroscience prospective. Hope that helps

We're in pretty much the exact same position! I wanted to do medicine from around age 15 but didn't get the AS or A level grades, so I didn't actually apply but I'm doing neuroscience at the minute and plan to apply for medicine 2017. And it's true, everyone always seems super impressed by neuroscience even though in reality it's around the same level as another life science/human biology degree :smile:
WOO neuroscience applicants!

I'm planning on applying to UCL, Nottingham, Bristol and Cardiff. :biggrin: I'm almost there with my personal statement, but I am waiting to do a mental health first aid course so I can put that on it too (I have 3200 characters, 45 lines, and I need more).
Reply 42
Original post by Laurasaur
WOO neuroscience applicants!

I'm planning on applying to UCL, Nottingham, Bristol and Cardiff. :biggrin: I'm almost there with my personal statement, but I am waiting to do a mental health first aid course so I can put that on it too (I have 3200 characters, 45 lines, and I need more).

I am applying to UCL too :smile: What's your fifth choice?

My personal statement is pretty much done as well :smile:
lol same situation OP
for med im applying to bristol, birmingham, exeter and leichester
fifth option is neuroscience at bristol :biggrin:
Anyone sent their application off?

I sent mine off on Friday and ended up applying to Leeds, Bristol, Manchester, Edinburgh and UCL (even though I'm not overly convinced so far).

Now to play the waiting game :smile:
Original post by stump-y
I am applying to UCL too :smile: What's your fifth choice?

My personal statement is pretty much done as well :smile:

I haven't got a fifth choice anymore, I gave up with the idea of Oxford😂
Awesome, well done! Maybe I'll see you there if we both get in, firm it and get the grades :wink:
Reply 46
Original post by Laurasaur
I haven't got a fifth choice anymore, I gave up with the idea of Oxford😂
Awesome, well done! Maybe I'll see you there if we both get in, firm it and get the grades :wink:

Well if I get rejected by Cambridge it's definitely my firm :smile: (+ I worked at UCL this summer and it seems lovely)

I thought Oxford don't so neuroscience o_o
Original post by stump-y
Well if I get rejected by Cambridge it's definitely my firm :smile: (+ I worked at UCL this summer and it seems lovely)

I thought Oxford don't so neuroscience o_o

They are both great choices and I bet you'd have an amazing choice at either!

No they don't, but their biomedical science course has a large emphasis on either cell and systems biology or neuroscience, so I thought that might be ideal if I changed my mind, or wanted something more broad.
Reply 48
There doesn't seem to be much talk about neuroscience at uni of birmingham in the past years of neuroscience applications forums, is it a new course? And if anyone does have any knowledge of the course where would you say it ranks or compares to neuroscience at unis like Kings or bristol?
Reply 49
Sent off my UCAS today :biggrin: Good luck to everyone!
Got an offer from Leeds for the Neuroscience masters today!
Reply 51
Original post by smozsolution
Got an offer from Leeds for the Neuroscience masters today!

Congratulations :smile:
Hi I thought of applying to biochem as back up if i don't get offers for neuroscience do how did you write your personal statement for both subjects?
Anyone got an interview at Manchester on the 4th November? :smile:
Anyone else applying for Neuroscience at KCL?
Reply 55
Original post by GrappleX

Yes :smile: got an offer from them already!
Original post by GrappleX

Yes, I will be (I secretly don't expect an offer though as I'm a mature student doing an access course).
Can anyone recommend neuroscience books that have helped you with your personal statement? I have watched lectures/read articles/completed online courses etc but there seems to be so many books to choose from, it's so hard to narrow it down!
Original post by pastel-luna
Can anyone recommend neuroscience books that have helped you with your personal statement? I have watched lectures/read articles/completed online courses etc but there seems to be so many books to choose from, it's so hard to narrow it down!

Brave New Brain!

Absolutely loved this book, it's about the treatment of mental health using advances in neuroscience and genetics to see if we can create healthier brains. It's got a lot on mental illness as well as brain structure and function too!

Couldn't recommend it enough :smile:
Thanks! :smile:

Latest