The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by Lularose83
Aaahhhh I don't know what to do! I didn't apply to medicine this year because of my Ukcat score, but I really want to go to uni next year and I love neuroscience. I've always wanted to go it, but I've heard some people say it's a dead end degree :/ which I don't really believe, but I hate the thought of having to get a job after my degree that isn't even related to it!

I have A*ABA* (epq) predictions, so do you think it's worth applying?? * I'm aware I may have missed the UCAS deadline!

The UCAS deadline isn't until January. With your grades it's definitely worth applying. I don't see how it's a dead end degree considering it gets well funded and last time I checked it has an expanding job market. It may be a dead end degree in a sense that you can't go into research until you go through further study like masters and PhDs.
Went to the Manchester Life Sciences interview day today and came away with an offer!

Need AA in Biology and Chemistry now :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Aaahhhh I don't know what to do! I didn't apply to medicine this year because of my Ukcat score, but I really want to go to uni next year and I love neuroscience. I've always wanted to go it, but I've heard some people say it's a dead end degree :/ which I don't really believe, but I hate the thought of having to get a job after my degree that isn't even related to it!I have A*ABA* (epq) predictions, so do you think it's worth applying?? * I'm aware I may have missed the UCAS deadline!

Original post by stump-y
The UCAS deadline isn't until January. With your grades it's definitely worth applying. I don't see how it's a dead end degree considering it gets well funded and last time I checked it has an expanding job market. It may be a dead end degree in a sense that you can't go into research until you go through further study like masters and PhDs.

I agree with stump-y - it isn't a dead end degree. A degree is what you make of it and what you do during your time to make yourself stand out to employers. Also, today at the Manchester interview I was told that a lot of their graduates don't just go into research/academic/industrial roles and many go into things such as science communication, law and teaching as well as the medicine route.

I wouldn't let what others have said put you off unless it's a general consensus which as far as I was aware, it isn't something the masses say. If you love something then go for it; you're more likely to succeed that way and make the most of it. Plus you may still be able to do medicine following an undergraduate degree in neuroscience :smile:
Reply 83
Original post by smozsolution
Went to the Manchester Life Scienxes interview day today and came away with an offer!

Need AA in Biology and Chemistry now :smile:

Congratulations! :smile:
You haven't missed the deadline it's 15th January. Neuroscience is an extraordinary course so if you love it do it! However don't go to uni for the sake of going to uni. Your predicted grades are great, all top Neuroscience unis will take you (for the Bachelor 3 year course but you can transfer to masters at the end of first year if your grades are good enough). Get on the ucas website and read the uni's advice for applying for the course. Good luck!
Aaahhhh I don't know what to do! I didn't apply to medicine this year because of my Ukcat score, but I really want to go to uni next year and I love neuroscience. I've always wanted to go it, but I've heard some people say it's a dead end degree :/ which I don't really believe, but I hate the thought of having to get a job after my degree that isn't even related to it!

I have A*ABA* (epq) predictions, so do you think it's worth applying?? * I'm aware I may have missed the UCAS deadline!
My application gets sent off tomorrow I can't believe it's finally over (well not fully yet haha)

AS: BBBB Maths Chem Bio French
Predicted: AAB Bio Chem Maths
Unis in order of choice: Leeds, Bristol, Nottingham, Manchester, Leicester
Reply 86
Has anyone heard back from UCL, St Andrews or Edinburgh?
Original post by axalia47
You haven't missed the deadline it's 15th January. Neuroscience is an extraordinary course so if you love it do it! However don't go to uni for the sake of going to uni. Your predicted grades are great, all top Neuroscience unis will take you (for the Bachelor 3 year course but you can transfer to masters at the end of first year if your grades are good enough). Get on the ucas website and read the uni's advice for applying for the course. Good luck!

Thank you for the encouragement! I completely agree with you as well, I think it's so important that you love the subject you choose to study :smile:
I've applied this year with AAB to Leeds, Bristol, Manchester, Nottingham and Leicester. When I went to the open days (bar Leicester) they reaaally push about personal statements. You have to show them you WANT to do the course. My advice is add in any relevant work experience (I was in Radiology for a week), books, TV etc. Also extra curricular activities you've done to gain skills that'll help with the course aka team work, writing skills blah blah). Books I recommend for Neuroscience are:
the man who mistook his wife for a hat
the brain that changes itself
the amazing teenage brain (v short you can read in 3 days)
also watch ted talks (the brain one can't remember what it' called)
show them you want it!! you've got this.
Got an offer from UCL yesterday and I've just been rejected from Edbinburgh hahaha :redface:
Got an offer from UCL yesterday and I've just been rejected from Edbinburgh hahaha :redface:

Congrats :smile: but why did Edinburgh reject you ???????????????
Original post by Laurasaur
WOO neuroscience applicants!

I'm planning on applying to UCL, Nottingham, Bristol and Cardiff. :biggrin: I'm almost there with my personal statement, but I am waiting to do a mental health first aid course so I can put that on it too (I have 3200 characters, 45 lines, and I need more).

Hey I saw that you got offers congratulations.. Do you have an interview with Bristol?
Original post by coolgamer
Hey I saw that you got offers congratulations.. Do you have an interview with Bristol?

I don't have an interview, do they do interviews? Do you have an interview?
Reply 93
Hi :smile: I haven't seen a thread for this so I thought I'd make one.
I'm applying for neuroscience as a medicine back up plan, but I'm most likely taking a gap year If I get 4 med rejections. Is anyone else thinking of applying, and if so, where are you applying? :smile:

Literally me
Reply 94
Anyone else get an offer from Kings??
Original post by Laurasaur
I don't have an interview, do they do interviews? Do you have an interview?

I thought they would call you for an informal interview maybe not for neuroscience but pls let me know if they do lol
i haven't got an offer yet only got 1 from qmul
I thought they would call you for an informal interview maybe not for neuroscience but pls let me know if they do lol
i haven't got an offer yet only got 1 from qmul

None of my choices ask you to an interview unless you're a borderline applicant (King's, Bristol, Cardiff, UCL, Nottingham) :tongue:
Reply 97
Original post by yung7up
Anyone else get an offer from Kings??

I do have one from them :smile:

D: I applied to Edinburgh, haven't heard back yet. Did you apply for 1st or second year entry? :smile:
Congrats :smile: but why did Edinburgh reject you ???????????????

Apparently my grades don't meet the requirements. Even though they want ABB for year 1 and AAB for year 2 and I've already got A*A* and am predicted AA. It's probably my third year (albeit due to extenuating circumstances well out of my control) that has led to the rejection as they must be strict on the one sitting rule. Ah well, their loss :smile:

Original post by stump-y
D: I applied to Edinburgh, haven't heard back yet. Did you apply for 1st or second year entry? :smile:

No news is good news! Off the top of my head I can't remember hahah sorry!
Hi guys!
Anyone knows something about Queen Mary University? :-)

Latest

Trending

Trending