The Student Room Group

Note to people with Asperger Syndrome

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Kittiara
No worries. It's the thought that counts. :smile:

I am sorry that it took you a long time to realise that it's nothing to be ashamed of. I can understand why. My mom, for example, doesn't believe in Autism. Which is probably one of the reasons I wasn't diagnosed earlier. And she is not alone in her lack of understanding, and her negative approach towards it.

I can understand that a lady following you around like that would creep you out! It would have creeped me out as well.

Haha yeah, but being PM of the MHoC is pretty much the height of my political ambitions. Even though I am studying PPE, to be a real politician I would have to actually be around people. Face-to-face! Not something I am good at. :redface:

:h: Yes, my nan used to tell my mum that I was just using it as an excuse to misbehave. Why would I use it as an excuse if I was, at the time, terrified? There are way too many negative stereotypes about all conditions on the Autistic spectrum, ones that I am hoping to change. Yes, she definitely creeped me out, she followed my every move and was writing notes all the time :frown: I am far from good at speaking in front of people but it is something that I really wish to do so I'm hoping that I can build enough confidence during my A2 and uni years. :smile:
No worries. It's the thought that counts. :smile:

I am sorry that it took you a long time to realise that it's nothing to be ashamed of. I can understand why. My mom, for example, doesn't believe in Autism. Which is probably one of the reasons I wasn't diagnosed earlier. And she is not alone in her lack of understanding, and her negative approach towards it.

How awful for you. :frown: I've met someone like her and ignored her instead of educating her. (I was volunteering and my manager was in the room and wasn't aware)

On the flip side, one of my friends is wonderful. I had to tell him after a misunderstanding on my part. I explained that I have problems communicating and have a learning disability called Autism. (He's much older than me and grew up in the generation where Autism was unheard of. He retired from teaching when Autism started to become heard of) He emailed me back and gave me some advice. He then told me that growing up, he had a friend with Autism. His friend didn't talk and had behaviour problems.

We went away in June and I told him I've never flown before and explained that he's going to have to talk me through everything that happens and to expect a lot of questions from me! I then requested that he explains my situation to his friends, who I'd never met before.
Original post by OU Student
How awful for you. :frown: I've met someone like her and ignored her instead of educating her. (I was volunteering and my manager was in the room and wasn't aware)

On the flip side, one of my friends is wonderful. I had to tell him after a misunderstanding on my part. I explained that I have problems communicating and have a learning disability called Autism. (He's much older than me and grew up in the generation where Autism was unheard of. He retired from teaching when Autism started to become heard of) He emailed me back and gave me some advice. He then told me that growing up, he had a friend with Autism. His friend didn't talk and had behaviour problems.

We went away in June and I told him I've never flown before and explained that he's going to have to talk me through everything that happens and to expect a lot of questions from me! I then requested that he explains my situation to his friends, who I'd never met before.

You're friend sounds awesome! It's wonderful to have people who will support you like that. I told my friends that I had Aspergers, they didn't really understand it. Then we had a Psychology lesson about the symptoms of it and they understood a lot more. My teachers all know about my difference (I refuse to call it a disability) and they will make sure I don't panic in mock tests and will let me stay behind at the end of the lesson if I need to talk about anything :smile:
Original post by emiloujess
You're friend sounds awesome! It's wonderful to have people who will support you like that. I told my friends that I had Aspergers, they didn't really understand it. Then we had a Psychology lesson about the symptoms of it and they understood a lot more. My teachers all know about my difference (I refuse to call it a disability) and they will make sure I don't panic in mock tests and will let me stay behind at the end of the lesson if I need to talk about anything :smile:

I don't think my friend fully understands. But he is willing to learn. He just tells me he understands that I need him to do whatever, I just need to tell him and to be honest with him.
Original post by OU Student
I don't think my friend fully understands. But he is willing to learn. He just tells me he understands that I need him to do whatever, I just need to tell him and to be honest with him.

Yes, honesty is the best possible thing you can do. At least he is trying, though, some people don't even bother and just write us off...
OK, I wanted to post this to try and help anyone else who suffers from this 'disability'. Please don't criticise me for being honest.

I have struggled for a long time to come to terms with the fact that I am a little different from other people. My mother had no clue what was 'wrong' with me until I was about 9 years old. Of course, she knew that something was different about me because I was angered easily, struggled to make friends, found it nearly impossible to make eye contact with anyone and had little obsessions that I felt a compulsion to learn everything about before promptly moving on to another one.
At first, I was diagnosed with ADHD. I still to this day have no idea why because I was never hyper as a child - I liked staying in with books and taking walks through the fields near my house.

I was put on tablets to help with my 'ADHD', which had a negative effect on me. I became spaced out, dreamy, unresponsive. My family realised that I didn't actually have ADHD and after some research found that I was more likely to have Asperger syndrome and anxiety. She had me diagnosed and then made the mistake of telling my middle school (years 6-8 for anyone who doesn't know). My school immediately started to treat me differently, like I was thick, explaining everything really slowly (I don't think they fully knew what it was). I remember in year 7 being seated on a separate table for Art and the teacher would constantly come over and ask if I was okay - I'm talking every 10 minutes. I got told I'd never be able to do A-Levels, never get anywhere because I didn't have the confidence to do so.

Luckily my high school was absolutely brilliant, and I have partially them to thank for where I am now. They understood what Aspergers was and helped build my confidence up to the point where I felt 'normal'. I managed to get 3As, 5Bs, 4Cs in my GCSEs.

Year 12, for me, was horrible. My college somehow managed to destroy all confidence that I had struggled to build up in high school. My teachers made it clear they had no confidence in me so I stopped going to college and as a result got EEUU in my exams. I had no other option but to move colleges, change subjects and begin again. I am not someone who entirely blames the college and teachers - I lost all motivation to revise back in January.

Year 12 part 2! My new college is even better than my high school was. My confidence is up again to the point where I can walk down the street without keeping my eyes fixed to the pavement. I became a student rep, made a few friends even. At the end of last term I was even able to give a Sociology presentation on my own without going tomato-red and stuttering my way through it.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is this: if you are like me and have been diagnosed with Asperger Syndrome, you are simply different, it is not a curse, nor a life-ending disability. If you can embrace it instead of trying to hide it, it is a blessing in disguise. You just have to come to the realisation that it can be a good thing. For example, if you are already different, what is the harm in sticking up for your political, religious or any other views you may have? What is the harm in developing little obsessions as long as you have someone to talk about them, and they make you happy? It just means you have a wide knowledge of things that other people don't. If you are different, and are used to being isolated and alone, it will not come as a shock to you when you have to spend time alone. But the hard part is, like me, you will find it hard to believe that unless you come to this realisation yourself.

This is why I want to go into Politics, with a party that many others criticise, to prove that a small child with no confidence can become someone who changes the view of Asperger syndrome. And no, I have no intent of posting this anonymously. Because I have learnt not to be ashamed of who I am - I am, in fact, proud of something that makes me unique.

I can only hope that my honesty has helped just one person. x
You would have hated it at the college I went to as one of my friends from school was diagnosed in a similar way and when the went to the college I went to they were always being segregated from everyone else, and unfairly targeted and profiled during their time there all because of their diagnosis. :banghead: :mad:

Fair? I don't think so really. :unimpressed:
Original post by pinkteddyx64
You would have hated it at the college I went to as one of my friends from school was diagnosed in a similar way and when the went to the college I went to they were always being segregated from everyone else, and unfairly targeted and profiled during their time there all because of their diagnosis. :banghead: :mad:

Fair? I don't think so really. :unimpressed:

Yes, that's what happened at my middle school. No-one judged me for my own personality, instead judging me based on stereotypes of Autism and assumed my personality was exactly the same. Some schools and colleges seriously need to change their attitudes to mental heath and behavioural disorders. I'm sorry for what happened to your friend, it must have been horrible to have that happen to them in college which is vital to their future. :frown:
Yes, that's what happened at my middle school. No-one judged me for my own personality, instead judging me based on stereotypes of Autism and assumed my personality was exactly the same. Some schools and colleges seriously need to change their attitudes to mental heath and behavioural disorders. I'm sorry for what happened to your friend, it must have been horrible to have that happen to them in college which is vital to their future. :frown:

Yes, and they were also regularly pulled into into meetings (where their mum would also attend) where they were given threats of being removed from the course they were on even though they had done nothing wrong and bullied and pressured into signing contracts that they were uncomfortable with and weren't even needed for them to be on the course. Plus, security were always following them about between classes as though they were a criminal! :banghead:
Yes, and they were also regularly pulled into into meetings (where their mum would also attend) where they were given threats of being removed from the course they were on even though they had done nothing wrong and bullied and pressured into signing contracts that they were uncomfortable with and weren't even needed for them to be on the course. Plus, security were always following them about between classes as though they were a criminal! :banghead:

REMOVED FROM THE COURSE?! Most ridiculous thing I've heard! Just because we are different, we are NOT criminals and are far from dangerous. Your college could get in so much trouble for this! I got put down and basically told I'd never be anything or never get anywhere but I was never treated as dangerous. :angry: :angry:
REMOVED FROM THE COURSE?! Most ridiculous thing I've heard! Just because we are different, we are NOT criminals and are far from dangerous. Your college could get in so much trouble for this! I got put down and basically told I'd never be anything or never get anywhere but I was never treated as dangerous. :angry: :angry:
:sadnod:

They even said they have to do a health and safety risk assessment on this friend of mine they would have to do on 'normal' student as they are a special liability to the college may be a danger to themselves and to other staff and learners! :banghead:
:sadnod:

They even said they have to do a health and safety risk assessment on this friend of mine they would have to do on 'normal' student as they are a special liability to the college may be a danger to themselves and to other staff and learners! :banghead:

That's ridiculous, Autism is a difference, it doesn't make suddenly make you dangerous or a liability just because you have suddenly been labelled with it. I hate situations like this... everything is fine as long as you pretend you're 'normal' and aren't diagnosed. If you are diagnosed then you are apparently a completely different person. This is the kind of thing I want to help change!
That's ridiculous, Autism is a difference, it doesn't make suddenly make you dangerous or a liability just because you have suddenly been labelled with it. I hate situations like this... everything is fine as long as you pretend you're 'normal' and aren't diagnosed. If you are diagnosed then you are apparently a completely different person. This is the kind of thing I want to help change!

Even though I don't have it, I want to help too! :sadnod:

Would you like me to send a private message to you with further details of the problem? :wink: :h:
Even though I don't have it, I want to help too! :sadnod:

Would you like me to send a private message to you with further details of the problem? :wink: :h:

Edit: They already have a petition, if anyone reading this is interested, please sign the petition!
https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/104545
(edited 8 years ago)
Do you think that a diagnosis in adulthood is worth it? From what I can see there is zero support and it can work against you in terms of job applications/careers. All I can see is it having a negative effect if diagnosed in adulthood - be interested to hear some views on this? BTW I've never been diagnosed but I'm pretty sure I'm on the spectrum. My mother thought I had hearing problems as a child because I would never listen/look at people when they spoke, didn't interact with other kids etc. But I was responsive to music so she never bothered to get it checked out (also autism wasn't spoken about as much then). I go through obsessional phases, find it incredibly difficult to make friends, find it hard to look at people who are talking to me and hate socializing. On the other hand I'm academically strong, have a degree and will be doing post grad studies in future. I find it easier to be around animals than people and spend my spare time walking in the countryside alone or reading. I thought I was introverted/had social anxiety and people always describe me as 'shy' but I don't feel shy at all - I feel uncomfortable around people and would rather be alone. I've struggled with depression (diagnosed) but never sought a diagnosis for autism/aspergers because it's not like it can be cured and other than someone confirming what I already know there are no benefits of adult diagnosis.
Original post by Anonymous
Do you think that a diagnosis in adulthood is worth it? From what I can see there is zero support and it can work against you in terms of job applications/careers. All I can see is it having a negative effect if diagnosed in adulthood - be interested to hear some views on this? BTW I've never been diagnosed but I'm pretty sure I'm on the spectrum. My mother thought I had hearing problems as a child because I would never listen/look at people when they spoke, didn't interact with other kids etc. But I was responsive to music so she never bothered to get it checked out (also autism wasn't spoken about as much then). I go through obsessional phases, find it incredibly difficult to make friends, find it hard to look at people who are talking to me and hate socializing. On the other hand I'm academically strong, have a degree and will be doing post grad studies in future. I find it easier to be around animals than people and spend my spare time walking in the countryside alone or reading. I thought I was introverted/had social anxiety and people always describe me as 'shy' but I don't feel shy at all - I feel uncomfortable around people and would rather be alone. I've struggled with depression (diagnosed) but never sought a diagnosis for autism/aspergers because it's not like it can be cured and other than someone confirming what I already know there are no benefits of adult diagnosis.

It does sound like you're on the spectrum, you're nearly the same as me. It may be worth seeking a diagnosis purely for your own benefit - you will not necessarily have to tell anyone but you may find comfort in knowing there is nothing wrong with you. If you're planning on doing post grad it may be worth getting a diagnosis for uni - some of them have excellent support services. Also the spectrum is closely linked to social anxiety. It can't be cured, exactly, no, but a diagnosis could be the first step towards helping you manage the problem yourself.
Reply 55
Your story is so touching! I wish you every success in the future!! You really deserve it!
Also it's great to meet a fellow Liberal Democrat on here! :biggrin:
OK, I wanted to post this to try and help anyone else who suffers from this 'disability'. Please don't criticise me for being honest.

I have struggled for a long time to come to terms with the fact that I am a little different from other people. My mother had no clue what was 'wrong' with me until I was about 9 years old. Of course, she knew that something was different about me because I was angered easily, struggled to make friends, found it nearly impossible to make eye contact with anyone and had little obsessions that I felt a compulsion to learn everything about before promptly moving on to another one.
At first, I was diagnosed with ADHD. I still to this day have no idea why because I was never hyper as a child - I liked staying in with books and taking walks through the fields near my house.

I was put on tablets to help with my 'ADHD', which had a negative effect on me. I became spaced out, dreamy, unresponsive. My family realised that I didn't actually have ADHD and after some research found that I was more likely to have Asperger syndrome and anxiety. She had me diagnosed and then made the mistake of telling my middle school (years 6-8 for anyone who doesn't know). My school immediately started to treat me differently, like I was thick, explaining everything really slowly (I don't think they fully knew what it was). I remember in year 7 being seated on a separate table for Art and the teacher would constantly come over and ask if I was okay - I'm talking every 10 minutes. I got told I'd never be able to do A-Levels, never get anywhere because I didn't have the confidence to do so.

Luckily my high school was absolutely brilliant, and I have partially them to thank for where I am now. They understood what Aspergers was and helped build my confidence up to the point where I felt 'normal'. I managed to get 3As, 5Bs, 4Cs in my GCSEs.

Year 12, for me, was horrible. My college somehow managed to destroy all confidence that I had struggled to build up in high school. My teachers made it clear they had no confidence in me so I stopped going to college and as a result got EEUU in my exams. I had no other option but to move colleges, change subjects and begin again. I am not someone who entirely blames the college and teachers - I lost all motivation to revise back in January.

Year 12 part 2! My new college is even better than my high school was. My confidence is up again to the point where I can walk down the street without keeping my eyes fixed to the pavement. I became a student rep, made a few friends even. At the end of last term I was even able to give a Sociology presentation on my own without going tomato-red and stuttering my way through it.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is this: if you are like me and have been diagnosed with Asperger Syndrome, you are simply different, it is not a curse, nor a life-ending disability. If you can embrace it instead of trying to hide it, it is a blessing in disguise. You just have to come to the realisation that it can be a good thing. For example, if you are already different, what is the harm in sticking up for your political, religious or any other views you may have? What is the harm in developing little obsessions as long as you have someone to talk about them, and they make you happy? It just means you have a wide knowledge of things that other people don't. If you are different, and are used to being isolated and alone, it will not come as a shock to you when you have to spend time alone. But the hard part is, like me, you will find it hard to believe that unless you come to this realisation yourself.

This is why I want to go into Politics, with a party that many others criticise, to prove that a small child with no confidence can become someone who changes the view of Asperger syndrome. And no, I have no intent of posting this anonymously. Because I have learnt not to be ashamed of who I am - I am, in fact, proud of something that makes me unique.

I can only hope that my honesty has helped just one person. x

Thanks for this so much!
Original post by ZoeN2
Your story is so touching! I wish you every success in the future!! You really deserve it!
Also it's great to meet a fellow Liberal Democrat on here! :biggrin:

Thank you, good luck in whatever you wish to do too! There's actually quite a lot of Lib Dems on here, or Labour :smile:
Excellent opening post. :smile:

I have only just been diagnosed with High-Functioning Autism Spectrum Disorder - I have my diagnosis letter, but have yet to receive my full report. So, it's all still sinking in. It does help me understand a lot of issues I had as a child, and a teen. Even small things. So, in that respect it is interesting.

I hope that I can now find some coping mechanisms/strategies to help me improve in some areas of my life. Like, finding it easier to be in social situations. As I have been diagnosed as an adult, though, I don't think that there is a lot of help available, if any.

I do fully agree with you that it's nothing to be ashamed of. And that we should, as much as possible, not let it hold us back from what we want to achieve. I wish you the best of luck in your political ambitions. :smile:

I noticed your use of "functioning" labels so I decided to show you this: http://dearneurotypicals.tumblr.com/post/67767577252/why-low-functioning-and-high-functioning-are-bad
Original post by NightmareDoll
I noticed your use of "functioning" labels so I decided to show you this: http://dearneurotypicals.tumblr.com/post/67767577252/why-low-functioning-and-high-functioning-are-bad

Thank you! I don't like the functioning labels either. I once had someone tell me Autism is mild. Therefore, I should just over it. There's no such thing.

Someone (and I agree) once claimed that in some situations, they can be high functioning and in some situations, they can be low functioning.

Quick Reply

Latest