The Student Room Group

Note to people with Asperger Syndrome

OK, I wanted to post this to try and help anyone else who suffers from this 'disability'. Please don't criticise me for being honest.

I have struggled for a long time to come to terms with the fact that I am a little different from other people. My mother had no clue what was 'wrong' with me until I was about 9 years old. Of course, she knew that something was different about me because I was angered easily, struggled to make friends, found it nearly impossible to make eye contact with anyone and had little obsessions that I felt a compulsion to learn everything about before promptly moving on to another one.
At first, I was diagnosed with ADHD. I still to this day have no idea why because I was never hyper as a child - I liked staying in with books and taking walks through the fields near my house.

I was put on tablets to help with my 'ADHD', which had a negative effect on me. I became spaced out, dreamy, unresponsive. My family realised that I didn't actually have ADHD and after some research found that I was more likely to have Asperger syndrome and anxiety. She had me diagnosed and then made the mistake of telling my middle school (years 6-8 for anyone who doesn't know). My school immediately started to treat me differently, like I was thick, explaining everything really slowly (I don't think they fully knew what it was). I remember in year 7 being seated on a separate table for Art and the teacher would constantly come over and ask if I was okay - I'm talking every 10 minutes. I got told I'd never be able to do A-Levels, never get anywhere because I didn't have the confidence to do so.

Luckily my high school was absolutely brilliant, and I have partially them to thank for where I am now. They understood what Aspergers was and helped build my confidence up to the point where I felt 'normal'. I managed to get 3As, 5Bs, 4Cs in my GCSEs.

Year 12, for me, was horrible. My college somehow managed to destroy all confidence that I had struggled to build up in high school. My teachers made it clear they had no confidence in me so I stopped going to college and as a result got EEUU in my exams. I had no other option but to move colleges, change subjects and begin again. I am not someone who entirely blames the college and teachers - I lost all motivation to revise back in January.

Year 12 part 2! My new college is even better than my high school was. My confidence is up again to the point where I can walk down the street without keeping my eyes fixed to the pavement. I became a student rep, made a few friends even. At the end of last term I was even able to give a Sociology presentation on my own without going tomato-red and stuttering my way through it.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is this: if you are like me and have been diagnosed with Asperger Syndrome, you are simply different, it is not a curse, nor a life-ending disability. If you can embrace it instead of trying to hide it, it is a blessing in disguise. You just have to come to the realisation that it can be a good thing. For example, if you are already different, what is the harm in sticking up for your political, religious or any other views you may have? What is the harm in developing little obsessions as long as you have someone to talk about them, and they make you happy? It just means you have a wide knowledge of things that other people don't. If you are different, and are used to being isolated and alone, it will not come as a shock to you when you have to spend time alone. But the hard part is, like me, you will find it hard to believe that unless you come to this realisation yourself.

This is why I want to go into Politics, with a party that many others criticise, to prove that a small child with no confidence can become someone who changes the view of Asperger syndrome. And no, I have no intent of posting this anonymously. Because I have learnt not to be ashamed of who I am - I am, in fact, proud of something that makes me unique.

I can only hope that my honesty has helped just one person. x

Edit: Update! I got ABC this year! So happy!
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
This is really good!

I think we are quite similar. just I have autism not AS.

I seemed to have 1 year that everything completely failed. You got diagnosed so much earlier than me though.

Its good that you posted this, there is too many people that know too many lies about autism.
Reply 2
For anyone reading this and wanting to have an insight into how those with Asperger's syndrome may view the world and those around them, I'd recommend reading either The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time by Mark Haddon or Rubberknecker by Belinda Bauer.

Of course everyone with AS is different and these are just fictional portrayals, but they do a good job of illuminating the potential challenges one with AS may face. And they're both enjoyable reads :smile:
Reply 3
Brilliant post, very inspiring and well done.
Reply 4
Original post by dipka
This is really good!

I think we are quite similar. just I have autism not AS.

I seemed to have 1 year that everything completely failed. You got diagnosed so much earlier than me though.

Its good that you posted this, there is too many people that know too many lies about autism.

Yep, that year was last year for me, it was horrible. I think it's good though, it gives us a chance to prove to ourselves that we can pull through :smile: And thank you!

Original post by offhegoes
For anyone reading this and wanting to have an insight into how those with Asperger's syndrome may view the world and those around them, I'd recommend reading either The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time by Mark Haddon or Rubberknecker by Belinda Bauer.

Of course everyone with AS is different and these are just fictional portrayals, but they do a good job of illuminating the potential challenges one with AS may face. And they're both enjoyable reads :smile:

Sounds great, I'll definitely give them a try! :smile:

Original post by N-R-G
Brilliant post, very inspiring and well done.

Thank you so much, it means a lot. It's the first time I've been completely open and honest about it. :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by emiloujess

Thank you so much, it means a lot. It's the first time I've been completely open and honest about it. :smile:

I hope you feel Liberated. Its good to hear someone speak so positively about their condition.
Original post by offhegoes

Or even House Rules by Jodi Picoult
Reply 7
Original post by N-R-G
I hope you feel Liberated. Its good to hear someone speak so positively about their condition.

I do, to be honest :smile: People need to be positive, sometimes it is the only thing holding us back...
Reply 8
I do, to be honest :smile: People need to be positive, sometimes it is the only thing holding us back...

Good luck with the politics.
Reply 9
Original post by N-R-G
Good luck with the politics.

Thank you, good luck with whatever you wish to do in the future as well :smile:
Reply 10
Thank you, good luck with whatever you wish to do in the future as well :smile:

Thanks, I'm going to study art history.
Original post by N-R-G
Thanks, I'm going to study art history.

Sounds fun :smile: Hope you enjoy it!
Why the liberals?
Original post by TorpidPhil
Why the liberals?

They are the party whose values are the same as mine, and tbh I admire them for working with the Tories for 5 years, must have taken a lot of strength to work for that long with a party whose values are completely against their own. :h:
You're lucky that you were diagnosed at an early age. I was diagnosed with Autism just after turning 23. I spent some 11 years previously with quite serious depression / OCD on and off.

I'm not repeating them for obvious reasons, but some of us do have highly inappropriate obsessions, which are quite obviously a problem. Before anyone says anything, you can't control what you're obessed with.
Original post by OU Student
You're lucky that you were diagnosed at an early age. I was diagnosed with Autism just after turning 23. I spent some 11 years previously with quite serious depression / OCD on and off.

I'm not repeating them for obvious reasons, but some of us do have highly inappropriate obsessions, which are quite obviously a problem. Before anyone says anything, you can't control what you're obessed with.

How would being diagnosed earlier help with your depression?

Aspergers is slightly different from Autism. I have had several little obsessions and they have never really had a detrimental effect nor have the effected my education. But yes, I am only speaking from personal experience and the obsessions that I have had. And no, you can't control your obsessions like many think. I am sorry it took so long for you to be diagnosed, it must have been very difficult x
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Anonymous
How would being diagnosed earlier help with your depression?

I'm not going into too much detail, but it almost cost me a friendship and meant I had to drop out of uni. With a much earlier diagnosis, there would have been support, (there is none for adults) and I wouldn't have spent year 11, 6th form and uni with such severe depression.
I'm not going into too much detail, but it almost cost me a friendship and meant I had to drop out of uni. With a much earlier diagnosis, there would have been support, (there is none for adults) and I wouldn't have spent year 11, 6th form and uni with such severe depression.

Yes, the school I was at had no idea how to deal with me and that part of my education would have been much better if they'd known. It's a shame you got diagnosed so late - do you mind me asking if you were given a reason for the late diagnosis?
Yes, the school I was at had no idea how to deal with me and that part of my education would have been much better if they'd known. It's a shame you got diagnosed so late - do you mind me asking if you were given a reason for the late diagnosis?

My parents suspected I had Autism from the age of about 12. My brother was diagnosed the same year. (he was 14) The problem they had was when they were trying to get him diagnosed, was they were constantly accused of lying and his behaviour was their fault. I do believe the words "spoilt brat" were thrown about a lot too.

They had the added issue of trying to get me diagnosed with a few serious physical disabilities. Again, they were told they were making it up and there's nothing wrong with me. We discovered years later my parents were right all along.

I only now have my diagnosis because in 2010 I was at uni. I had quite serious depression. (being sectioned was mentioned and the police were involved) I have a friend who I've known since I was 14 and he's mentioned it a few times. Needless to say when I told him I'd been diagnosed, he told me he wasn't surprised. I was diagnosed in 2012 after doing a lot of research and I do believe my sister (who was doing her placement year in Psychology) had mentioned it.

Quick Reply

Latest