The Student Room Group

Maintenance loan for EU student

Hello my name is Daniel. My question is if I can also get the maintenance loan like the UK students do because on the the Gov website it says that it is not for EU students but only UK, however I have been in England for over 3 years now so would that make me eligible?
It would be very kind pf somebody to answer my question, thanks very much :smile:.
Original post by ciupi97
Hello my name is Daniel. My question is if I can also get the maintenance loan like the UK students do because on the the Gov website it says that it is not for EU students but only UK, however I have been in England for over 3 years now so would that make me eligible?
It would be very kind pf somebody to answer my question, thanks very much :smile:.

Yes, you are eligible - you are classed as a home student, not an EU student. You need to apply as a home student, if you've already applied as an EU student you need to cancel that application and start over if you want to get full support.
Reply 2
Original post by ciupi97

It depends why you came to the UK. If you came here in order to work , follow relatives etc., then you will be assessed for the full SF package. If you came to the UK for education e.g. to go to boarding school, then you won't be eligible for anything other than the Tuition Fee Loan.
Reply 3
Original post by applicationa
Yes, you are eligible - you are classed as a home student, not an EU student. You need to apply as a home student, if you've already applied as an EU student you need to cancel that application and start over if you want to get full support.

Thanks a lot for replying!
Reply 4
Original post by Klix88
It depends why you came to the UK. If you came here in order to work , follow relatives etc., then you will be assessed for the full SF package. If you came to the UK for education e.g. to go to boarding school, then you won't be eligible for anything other than the Tuition Fee Loan.

Well I came to England ( from Romania) and I was put in year 10, I did my GCSE's and my As levels and now I only have year 13 left. I want to study dentistry at university. Am I still eligible?
Reply 5
Original post by ciupi97
Well I came to England ( from Romania) and I was put in year 10, I did my GCSE's and my As levels and now I only have year 13 left. I want to study dentistry at university. Am I still eligible?

Did you come over to the UK with your parents? Or did you come to the UK alone, solely in order to go to school?
Reply 6
Hello
i need help as well. im not EU or EEA whatever they call it... orginally from asia . living in the uk like 6 years. i applied uni this year and i offered the place but they think im overseas student. am i overseas student?! plus last years applied student loan and i studied at college with no problem.bit confused...
thanks all.
Reply 7
Original post by Klix88
Did you come over to the UK with your parents? Or did you come to the UK alone, solely in order to go to school?

I came with my parents.
Also, sorry to ask another question, but do know where on this website I can post my personal statement for university so I can get like a review in like a thread, do you have a link?
Thanks a lot
Reply 8
Original post by tuugii
Hello
i need help as well. im not EU or EEA whatever they call it... orginally from asia . living in the uk like 6 years. i applied uni this year and i offered the place but they think im overseas student. am i overseas student?! plus last years applied student loan and i studied at college with no problem.bit confused...
thanks all.

As long as you didn't come to the UK solely for the purpose of education, and you have proof that you have lived in the UK for the past 6 years, then you should be considered a Home/UK student by both the uni and Student Finance.

Contact the university to explain your situation. They will need you to send in documentary proof of residence and as long as they're satisfied with it, you should be able to get your status changed.
Reply 9
Original post by ciupi97
I came with my parents.

In that case you should be considered a Home/UK student and you'll be assessed for the full SF package.

Also, sorry to ask another question, but do know where on this website I can post my personal statement for university so I can get like a review in like a thread, do you have a link?

I would strongly recommend that you don't post anything like that online, as it can be copied and used by someone else. If they submit it before you, you will be the one accused of copying.

TSR has a very useful section with hints and tips on writing a PS. They offer a confidential review service, but this is chargeable:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=194-personal-statements
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by Klix88
In that case you should be considered a Home/UK student and you'll be assessed for the full SF package.

I would strongly recommend that you don't post anything like that online, as it can be copied and used by someone else. If they submit it before you, you will be the one accused of copying.

TSR has a very useful section with hints and tips on writing a PS. They offer a confidential review service, but this is chargeable:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=194-personal-statements

Alright! I appreciate the quick responses, and so the only thing I'll say is that I will also call the Student Finance England department to ask the same question just to be sure.
Thank you
Reply 11
Original post by ciupi97
Alright! I appreciate the quick responses, and so the only thing I'll say is that I will also call the Student Finance England department to ask the same question just to be sure.
Thank you

Absolutely - I'd always recommend that anyone does that.

Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending