The Student Room Group

University in Canada

I will be starting Year 12 in September and I was wondering whether it is too early to start thinking about university? I am seriously thinking about studying in Canada, preferably Ottawa or Vancouver. Getting a student visa seems doable if I am offered a place at an University and have funds. I understand that the cost of living is higher in Canada but the university costs are relatively cheaper than the UK. I am interested in studying Civil Law
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Well, October is not too early too apply, I know that on top of my UK applications I also filed applications in my home province of Ontario that the Canadian applications were to be done a little sooner than the UK university's. It is important to note that many Canadian schools do not require a personnel statement and some simply don't want one. Many schools are marks oriented so if your someone who has done great academically but don't have a lot to show of stuff you have done outside of the class room you should fine that many universities will still consider you. I applied to 5 universities in Ontario (for business management) and was accepted too all but one. One the point is it more expensive to live here and the tuition fees its kind of a grey area. It really depends on where you go I have heard (I have never been there tho) that BC can be on the expensive side as can some parts of Ontario (Toronto and Ottawa so beware). Tuition fees are cheaper in Canada I believe, but be warned as with many universities I have friends who are staying in Ontario for their schooling and residence is more than the yearly tuition. At the same time of all of this you have a very low Canadian dollar so it might be relatively cheap for you to live over there and pay for accommodation. Hope this helps if at all.
Reply 2
Original post by TheCanuck
Well, October is not too early too apply, I know that on top of my UK applications I also filed applications in my home province of Ontario that the Canadian applications were to be done a little sooner than the UK university's. It is important to note that many Canadian schools do not require a personnel statement and some simply don't want one. Many schools are marks oriented so if your someone who has done great academically but don't have a lot to show of stuff you have done outside of the class room you should fine that many universities will still consider you. I applied to 5 universities in Ontario (for business management) and was accepted too all but one. One the point is it more expensive to live here and the tuition fees its kind of a grey area. It really depends on where you go I have heard (I have never been there tho) that BC can be on the expensive side as can some parts of Ontario (Toronto and Ottawa so beware). Tuition fees are cheaper in Canada I believe, but be warned as with many universities I have friends who are staying in Ontario for their schooling and residence is more than the yearly tuition. At the same time of all of this you have a very low Canadian dollar so it might be relatively cheap for you to live over there and pay for accommodation. Hope this helps if at all.

Thank you. I was talking to some girls from Vancouver while on holiday this year and they just told me that getting a part time job should be sufficient (she works in Tim Hortons) although I am not sure what jobs will be available to me. Part of the conditions to get a visa is to prove you have enough money but I hope my dad will part fund😆. It's quite relieving to here that personal statements aren't as important as they are here, I struggle writing anything about me😆

I just hope I fit in well in Canada, if I do get a place.
"I just hope I fit in well in Canada, if I do get a place."

To be quite honest, if you have a pulse you will fit in here in Canada. Canada is such a diverse and welcoming place that no matter where you walk in life you will find a group that accepts you and/or is like you.
Reply 4
"I just hope I fit in well in Canada, if I do get a place."

To be quite honest, if you have a pulse you will fit in here in Canada. Canada is such a diverse and welcoming place that no matter where you walk in life you will find a group that accepts you and/or is like you.

I suppose its like that everywhere, I am just nervous living in a different country.
Original post by chantalc
I suppose its like that everywhere, I am just nervous living in a different country.

I am going to school overseas as well (in the UK from Canada), its best not to think about it as if you are on your own entering into the unknown by yourself. At the universities many of the first years are doing just that and a large percentage of the students that attend Canadian universities are from abroad so there should be no worry about feeling isolated and alone once you start university and make friends.
Reply 6
I am going to school overseas as well (in the UK from Canada), its best not to think about it as if you are on your own entering into the unknown by yourself. At the universities many of the first years are doing just that and a large percentage of the students that attend Canadian universities are from abroad so there should be no worry about feeling isolated and alone once you start university and make friends.

Oh thats interesting you're coming to the UK. I didn't know a lot of students from abroad studied in Canada, and why you'd want to move the the UK
Oh thats interesting you're coming to the UK. I didn't know a lot of students from abroad studied in Canada, and why you'd want to move the the UK

Not sure to be honest, I wanted to change it up and see what I can do. I thought the UK would be a great place to start traveling from to other parts of the EU. And a lot of international students come to Canada, I do not know however how many people actually come from the UK to study though.
I'm Canadian! Now based in the UK!

I second what others have said about personal statement not really being a thing when applying for university. Everything for entrance is marks based.

You will find that you end up doing a bit of several things through even if your min subject is civil law because you need to take courses from outside your own subject (my experience I was studying arts/humanities and I needed to take 2 sciences to fulfil my complete degree requirements to graduate , so for sciences you do 2 arts/humanities etc) - though can't say for sure this is what it's like at in Vancouver because it's in a different province.

I can only comment on Ontario universities (I'm originally from Ontario and attended and graduated from the University of Toronto).

Vacouver and Ottawa are both really nice places and I wouldn't worry about not fitting in etc, there will be lots of international students :smile:

Considering how badly the Canadian dollar is doing at the moment it may very well be less costly than you're expecting but international student fees are still fairly high.

When I applied to university (sooo long ago) I applied to 6 universities - all in Ontario and was accepted to all of them. All that was required at the time was 70% or more in Grade 12 English lol and and having at least 1 credit each in math and science in either Grade 11 or 12 BUT as you're going to have UK equivalents they'll weight it differently (different system - but I wouldn't worry too much) .
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by TiramisuGoomba
I'm Canadian! Now based in the UK!

I second what others have said about personal statement not really being a thing when applying for university. Everything for entrance is marks based.

You will find that you end up doing a bit of several things through even if your min subject is civil law because you need to take courses from outside your own subject (my experience I was studying arts/humanities and I needed to take 2 sciences to fulfil my complete degree requirements to graduate , so for sciences you do 2 arts/humanities etc) - though can't say for sure this is what it's like at in Vancouver because it's in a different province.

I can only comment on Ontario universities (I'm originally from Ontario and attended and graduated from the University of Toronto).

Vacouver and Ottawa are both really nice places and I wouldn't worry about not fitting in etc, there will be lots of international students :smile:

Considering how badly the Canadian dollar is doing at the moment it may very well be less costly than you're expecting but international student fees are still fairly high.

When I applied to university (sooo long ago) I applied to 6 universities - all in Ontario and was accepted to all of them. All that was required at the time was 70% or more in Grade 12 English lol and and having at least 1 credit each in math and science in either Grade 11 or 12 BUT as you're going to have UK equivalents they'll weight it differently (different system - but I wouldn't worry too much) .

I do think I will be staying in Ontario and I am still unsure what other courses I want to do. I don't really understand when I need to apply? I think I will look more thoroughly in the new school year. I just wanted all the advice I can get that is from real people haha
Reply 10
Not sure to be honest, I wanted to change it up and see what I can do. I thought the UK would be a great place to start traveling from to other parts of the EU. And a lot of international students come to Canada, I do not know however how many people actually come from the UK to study though.

Yeah, Canada looks like a lot of fun to travel around too.
Usually deadlines for entry are in mid January, but people apply earlier.
Entry for Sept 2016 woulhave a deadline for applications in mid January 2016.

Wherever you decide to go - Canada is awesome :smile:
I'm thinking of applying to the U of T: St George and I'd like to study History. I just worry about financing.
Reply 13
Original post by ivybridge
I'm thinking of applying to the U of T: St George and I'd like to study History. I just worry about financing.

Where about is that? And what year are you in now?
Where about is that? And what year are you in now?

University of Toronto... Toronto, Ontario.

I am going into Year 13 now.
Reply 15
University of Toronto... Toronto, Ontario.

I am going into Year 13 now.

That makes sense😆 thought it was a post code idk

I graduated from U of T - I was at the St. George campus! Is a nice place :smile: very centrally located in downtown Toronto.

Good Luck :smile:
I graduated from U of T - I was at the St. George campus! Is a nice place :smile: very centrally located in downtown Toronto.

Good Luck :smile:

Thank you! I had a meeting with one of the admissions tutors, Tara Wu, who was so lovely and I just really want to go but I'm concerned about the financial side of U of T. Do you have any advice for applying?

What can you tell me about your experience and the place?

Thanks in advance :smile: x
Thank you! I had a meeting with one of the admissions tutors, Tara Wu, who was so lovely and I just really want to go but I'm concerned about the financial side of U of T. Do you have any advice for applying?

What can you tell me about your experience and the place?

Thanks in advance :smile: x

Will do. I will DM you. but a the moment my phone is not cooperating with me - so will try tomorrow.
Will do. I will DM you. but a the moment my phone is not cooperating with me - so will try tomorrow.

Okay, thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending