The Student Room Group

Why did god make so many stars?

And what do your religious texts say about the number of stars?

Apparently there are (a) 500,000,000,000 (half a trillion) in our galaxy alone (the Milky Way) and there are (b) 170,000,000,000 (170 billion) galaxies in the observable universe (there may be (c) multiple times this number of galaxies, that we cannot see).

So, multiply (a) and (b) and possibly (c) to get an extremely large number ((8.5 x 10^22) x (c)).

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2
Original post by mikaela_pascal
Bump]

1970s disco move?
I guess the reason there are so many stars is that the universe is very big and contains lots and lots of gas and dust, so there are lots and lots of stars. I guess this suggests to us that our universe has been here for a very very long time :wink:
Reply 4
No theists willing to tackle this one?
Reply 5
Original post by typonaut

And what do your religious texts say about the number of stars?

Apparently there are (a) 500,000,000,000 (half a trillion) in our galaxy alone (the Milky Way) and there are (b) 170,000,000,000 (170 billion) galaxies in the observable universe (there may be (c) multiple times this number of galaxies, that we cannot see).

So, multiply (a) and (b) and possibly (c) to get an extremely large number ((8.5 x 10^22) x (c)).

coz stars are shiny.
He was bored
Reply 7
If you want to, Google the quran and science ore just type stars in the quran. Some good results should pop up.
cus he wanted to
Reply 9
Original post by Hamza33
If you want to, Google the quran and science ore just type stars in the quran. Some good results should pop up.

Don't you have an answer yourself? I'm asking the question, not providing the answers too.
Reply 10
Original post by EvilGod
coz stars are shiny.

If this is the level of input people have, then please don't let me distract you from CBeebies.
No theists willing to tackle this one?

Here, Ill give it a shot. *Clears throat*

Because they're pretty
Because there is other life in outer space that need their own suns too
Because the universe is so damn large that one's got to fill it with something
Because blah blah blah...

Dude anyone could give you a million reasons but how the poop will we know who's right? The same way we'll know who was right about the existence of God anyway- we live our lives how we want to/how we think is best and die and go from there. I believe that you're then judged by the only one who can truly judge you and live an eternal life either forever happy or forever not so happy. I'm sure you'll disagree though but that's not the point I'm trying to make right now. My point is that you get as many opinions as you want but you wont really get a true answer because none of us are God.

So yeah... there you have it. This is my opinion at this moment in time, I speak for no one other than my present self.

Have a nice day,
May God bless you.
Reply 12
Original post by igotyourback
Here, Ill give it a shot. *Clears throat*

Because they're pretty

But why are they all so far away?

Because there is other life in outer space that need their own suns too

So, a religious person believes that god may have created life on other planets, in other solar systems, in other galaxies? What does your religion have to say about that?

Because the universe is so damn large that one's got to fill it with something
Because blah blah blah...

Why is it so large?

…My point is that you get as many opinions as you want but you wont really get a true answer because none of us are God.

But surely your religious texts give you some clues on this?
cus he's a crazy bastard
But why are they all so far away?

So, a religious person believes that god may have created life on other planets, in other solar systems, in other galaxies? What does your religion have to say about that?

Why is it so large?

But surely your religious texts give you some clues on this?

Yes, a religious person does indeed believe that God may have created life on other planets. Why not dude? He can create the universe and us so it's not like He's incapable of creating life on other planets, so yeah, there may well be life anywhere.
And as for what my religion has to say about it, I don't know every single Christian person on earth so I cannot ask them what they think and so I'll stick to telling you what I think. Your question is quite ridiculous and I can sense that you're seeking so sort of confrontation but please don't, this is supposed to be a calm discussion right? Think about it, would it be fair for me to ask you what every non-religious person thinks about this? Come on dude, just chill.

Why is it so large? I tried to make it this clear on my last post but I'll try again- I. Don't. Know. I could guess all my life but I won't know if I'm right. So I'll stick to just living contently. Don't get me wrong, I wonder why a lot of things are the way they are and I do settle ponder for years and I'm still pondering!

And I don't know if there are religious texts that "give some clues". I would look for it if this was my primary concern but I'm not looking for anything in particular when I read my little Bible. I read it because I like it. If I come across anything that I think might help you out in this mini dilemma of yours, I'll be sure to let you know :smile: But I think stuff like this is a bit beyond our understanding anyway. Once again, I'm sure you'll disagree and I'm happy that you're looking for an answer to something you care about.

May God bless you.
Reply 15
Unless it says in the bible anyway, no one can be sure.
I'm agnostic so I don't know much anyway, but if I were God, I would create loads of stars because A) They are beautiful and make the night sky beautiful, inevitably making the world more beautiful B) They are fascinating and C) They may be vital for other planets similar to ours
Reply 16
And as for what my religion has to say about it, I don't know every single Christian person on earth so I cannot ask them what they think and so I'll stick to telling you what I think. Your question is quite ridiculous and I can sense that you're seeking so sort of confrontation but please don't, this is supposed to be a calm discussion right? Think about it, would it be fair for me to ask you what every non-religious person thinks about this? Come on dude, just chill.

Well, I don't know what every other atheist in the world believes, but at least I can reference what science tells us about these things:

a) we don't really know how the universe came about, but the big bang theory is relatively well accepted.

b) with so many stars/galaxies it seems unlikely that we are alone in the universe, and more than likely that there is/will be/has been life on other planets in other solar systems (or even in this one). But that doesn't mean that our existence overlaps with theirs, or that we'll ever have any contact/knowledge of them.

c) we just accept that we don't know things and don't try to create philosophies explaining the unknown.

I don't think the question is ridiculous, I just want to know what a religious person's explanation for these things is. It's certainly an eye opener to me that you claim to be a christian, but accept that there may well be life on other planets. I ask what your religious texts/philosophy says about this, because, most often, I find that this is where religious people conjure-up their answers to the things that surprise us in life "see, we knew that all along".
Well, I don't know what every other atheist in the world believes, but at least I can reference what science tells us about these things:

a) we don't really know how the universe came about, but the big bang theory is relatively well accepted.

b) with so many stars/galaxies it seems unlikely that we are alone in the universe, and more than likely that there is/will be/has been life on other planets in other solar systems (or even in this one). But that doesn't mean that our existence overlaps with theirs, or that we'll ever have any contact/knowledge of them.

c) we just accept that we don't know things and don't try to create philosophies explaining the unknown.

I don't think the question is ridiculous, I just want to know what a religious person's explanation for these things is. It's certainly an eye opener to me that you claim to be a christian, but accept that there may well be life on other planets. I ask what your religious texts/philosophy says about this, because, most often, I find that this is where religious people conjure-up their answers to the things that surprise us in life "see, we knew that all along".

I agree with all of those points- Yes the Big Bang Theory is pretty accepted,Yes we may never have contact or confirmed knowledge of life on other planets/galaxies/whatever in this life but I believe that in heaven if you want to know you can know,And yes we just accept that we don't know things and don't try to create philosophies explaining the unknown but why do I have to create another theory about the number of stars when I already have one that I accept? I would ponder about it everyday and delve deeper if this was what interests me but it's not so I'm not planning on it. I'm interested in medicine and finding cures for things, increasing someone's quality of living. So I plan on researching stuff like that. If this is what interests you the go for it dude! Don't try to make me sound like I don't know what I'm talking about simply because I'm not as interested in this topic as you. You asked for an opinion right? I gave you one."but at least I can reference what science tells us about these things" Congratulations! I could tell you that too and like I said I agree with it all to an extent. I'm guessing that you're telling me all of that because you assumed that because I'm Christian I don't know this stuff, but yeah dude, I know it. But science doesn't explain why, it explain how in quite some detail- How and Why are not the same thing though. I respect and follow both and I do what I think is right.

Science belongs to everyone and religion belongs to everyone, it's just that some choose to reject one completely but don't assume everyone has.

Good evening.

May God bless you.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 18
I agree with all of those points- Yes the Big Bang Theory is pretty accepted,Yes we may never have contact or confirmed knowledge of life on other planets/galaxies/whatever in this life but I believe that in heaven if you want to know you can know,And yes we just accept that we don't know things and don't try to create philosophies explaining the unknown but why do I have to create another theory about the number of stars when I already have one that I accept?

So are you saying that you accept the big bang theory, and that the stars/planets were created by the underlying physics, rather than by god?

You asked for an opinion right? I gave you one."but at least I can reference what science tells us about these things" Congratulations! I could tell you that too and like I said I agree with it all to an extent. I'm guessing that you're telling me all of that because you assumed that because I'm Christian I don't know this stuff, but yeah dude, I know it. But science doesn't explain why, it explain how in quite some detail- How and Why are not the same thing though. I respect and follow both and I do what I think is right.

If the "how" is that god did not create the stars, the "why" does not matter, because god did not do it.

Or am I missing some point you are making? Are you instead asking the fundamentalist question "why are we here?". My answer to that is that we're just the result of evolution and not here for some specific purpose.
So are you saying that you accept the big bang theory, and that the stars/planets were created by the underlying physics, rather than by god?

Are you even reading what I write? I agree that the Big Bang theory is widely accepted at this day and age but I never said I do. FYI, I don't. Dude I like physics, astro rocks, but like I said it doesn't explain why just how. I think that to create matter, something observable/visible, it's gotta be done in some way! You wanted a philosophy? Here's my 2 second's thought attempt at one- "God said let there be light and there was light." For all I know that was something that may seem like a big bang to todays scientists but actually happened in less than a day because it stretches out over time. I don't know man, that's just my imagination talking but who knows maybe I've hit the nail on the head :P But once again, that's just how not why.

If the "how" is that god did not create the stars, the "why" does not matter, because god did not do it.

The how isn't that- what you're saying is the what. Think back to GCSE English, PEE- point evidence explain. Point- the thing, Evidence- the thing that led you to think that, Explain- your opinion. Most people, including me, sometimes interchange why with our opinions but our opinions aren't the why.

Or am I missing some point you are making? Are you instead asking the fundamentalist question "why are we here?". My answer to that is that we're just the result of evolution and not here for some specific purpose.

I guess I kind of am, but everything always seems to go back to that question :/ And BTW I disagree with you. It's that simple isn't it? My opinion vs yours, I'm saying this and you're saying that. There totally is a true answer, a true reason, we just don't know what it is yet. You'll at least agree with me on that right?

I'm sorry for believing that there is someone other than my mother who cares about my everyday life and that his Father has total control over it. Lets just live our lives how we want. Do what you think is right, with an open heart.

I hope this is still just a discussion and not an argument because I'm not a fan of arguments.

May God bless you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending