The Student Room Group

lost over 40kg, AMA

I'm new here :smile: 6 foot 2 male, used to weigh about 90kg about 2 years ago and very sporty (played cricket and rowed) but I had a knee injury, which kept me out of sport, so I became lazy and my weight went up to about 133kg.
And now after all this hard work at the gym and healthy eating I'm back down to 90ish kilos and never felt better :smile:

So yeah, AMA

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
What motivated you to lose weight? How long did it take to lose it?
1) Did you follow any training regimes, like insanity or the 21-day thing?

2) Did you focus exclusively on weight-loss? What ratio of cardio:weight training did you do?

3) In terms of diet, did you cut back on snacks and retain the same meal plan? Or did you make different meals to the ones you were previously eating as well as cut back on snacks?

4) How long did it take you to lose 40kg?

5) How many days a week did you train?

Oh, and congratulations! :thumbsup:
Reply 3
Original post by pauux
What motivated you to lose weight? How long did it take to lose it?

I was sick of being fat tbh and plus I wasn't fat for too long

Also I am going to uni and being fat made me lose confidence
Reply 4
Original post by ETbuymilkandeggs
1) Did you follow any training regimes, like insanity or the 21-day thing?

2) Did you focus exclusively on weight-loss? What ratio of cardio:weight training did you do?

3) In terms of diet, did you cut back on snacks and retain the same meal plan? Or did you make different meals to the ones you were previously eating as well as cut back on snacks?

4) How long did it take you to lose 40kg?

5) How many days a week did you train?

Oh, and congratulations! :thumbsup:

1) Not really just standard cardio, sometimes doing treadmill for about 45 minutes but most of the time an hour of cardio but mixing it up

2) Yeah focussed mainly on weigh loss until I got under 100kg where I started to do more weight training, so 90% weight loss at first and now about 50:50

3) Chocolates, fizzy drinks, sweets, crisps etc where completely out and I started eating more protein and cut back on the carbs (but not completely), but it was mainly about calorie counting rather than eating than being crazy strict. I was strict with the number of calories I ate. Plus I drank plenty of water, ridiculous amounts.

4) About 7 months - People say that this was really fast but I wasn't starving myself I still ate junk food like every week, KFC, fish and chips etc. I spoke to a personal trainer (rowing coach) about how fast I was losing my weight and he said that because I wasn't fat for too long it was okay

5) And most of the time it was 6 times a week but I was only doing about 50 mins to 1 hour cardio

And thank you
Reply 5
Anybody else?
Are you going to get back into sport?
Reply 7
Congratulations dude! Amazing!

As for the AMA, how's your skin?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Did you experience an increase of interest from the opposite sex?
What age do you think is the best time to go to the gym
Reply 10
Original post by kdizzle97
Are you going to get back into sport?

Yeah :smile: started rowing training again and probably going to join the university cricket and rowing team
Reply 11
Original post by *Stefan*
Congratulations dude! Amazing!

As for the AMA, how's your skin?

Posted from TSR Mobile

skin is good, no loose skin really but I wasn't fat for too long and I drank plenty of water and I was pretty muscular before so yeah

loose skin was one of my biggest worries but gladly it went back to normal

and thank you
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by Mesosleepy
What age do you think is the best time to go to the gym

I have been going gym since I was 15 but I was about 6ft when I was 15 :smile: but yeah 16-17 is a good age and if you are worried about stunting growth or whatever try lifting light weight but increase reps

And make sure that you have proper technique, get somebody to critique your technique, most gym related injuries occur from poor form
Reply 13
Original post by Black Cat
Did you experience an increase of interest from the opposite sex?

Well I had a decent amount of interest before and yeah I think its probably more now because my face has got skinnier and my jawline looks pretty strong now

So the answer to your question is yes :smile:
Original post by MAVERICK69
I have been going gym since I was 15 but I was about 6ft when I was 15 :smile: but yeah 16-17 is a good age and if you are worried about stunting growth or whatever try lifting light weight but increase reps

And make sure that you have proper technique, get somebody to critique your technique, most gym related injuries occur from poor form

I don't mind about my height, Too many distractions in life are stopping me going to the gym: a levels, planning for uni etc. Do you think when I start at uni next year, gym will be doable?
(edited 8 years ago)
Im a girl thats trying really hard to build upper body strength but always fail. Any advice? What was your diet like when you started weight training
How is it possible to get to thjat size in the first place? It must take serious dedication to become that fat. I just couldn't do it because I feel disgusting and tired and generally ill when I start getting fat.
Original post by DIN-NARYU-FARORE
Im a girl thats trying really hard to build upper body strength but always fail. Any advice? What was your diet like when you started weight training

Get a chair and do pullups without your full body weight so you can build up to it.
Wow that's brilliant, well done!

What did you usually eat in a day to lose that much...how many calories did you limit yourself to?
Did you drink/consume any supplements or additions to your dieting plan?

Quick Reply

Latest