The Student Room Group

Moving to Liverpool, advice?

Working in a temporary role for a year.

I don't know anyone from Liverpool, what are safe but affordable areas to live in? As it's multicultural I assume racism isn't something to worry about?

Where are some good places to make friends outside of work?

Is it true Liverpool girls wear a lot of make up?

And anything else I should know? :biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

My advice?

Don't go.
Never ever take a car to Scouse land. Them theivin' buggers will have the tyres off before you've even parallel parked...
Original post by Isambard Kingdom Brunel
My advice?

Don't go.

You from there?

footstool1924
Never ever take a car to Scouse land. Them theivin' buggers will have the tyres off before you've even parallel parked...

:rofl:

I heard it's one of the safest cities in the UK these days ironically
I live in liverpool, people always make jokes about it saying it's a **** hole and full of crime. But un my experience that's not the case. I feel very safe here, it's a great affordable place to live with everything you need at your doorstep.

If you're looking for somewhere to live but can't afford/ don't want to live in the city centre then I reccommend the L15/ wavertree area. Many lovely houses and flats, safe area and all necassary shops close.

If you don't want to live in the "rough" areas then avoid toxteth and croxteth. Though I've lived in both those areas and never had a problem.

Not all scouse women wear tonnes of make up no :tongue: but it is common on nights out.
Original post by SophieSmall
I live in liverpool, people always make jokes about it saying it's a **** hole and full of crime. But un my experience that's not the case. I feel very safe here, it's a great affordable place to live with everything you need at your doorstep.

If you're looking for somewhere to live but can't afford/ don't want to live in the city centre then I reccommend the L15/ wavertree area. Many lovely houses and flats, safe area and all necassary shops close.

If you don't want to live in the "rough" areas then avoid toxteth and croxteth. Though I've lived in both those areas and never had a problem.

Not all scouse women wear tonnes of make up no :tongue: but it is common on nights out.

Thank you :smile: I've never lived on my own before, are there any good places to find a landlord who won't need references from past landlords?

I'll avoid those thanks, are there any more rough areas?

Yes they seem so glamorous with all the blonde hair and heavy makeup :smile:
Original post by Proudhipster
Thank you :smile: I've never lived on my own before, are there any good places to find a landlord who won't need references from past landlords?

I'll avoid those thanks, are there any more rough areas?

Yes they seem so glamorous with all the blonde hair and heavy makeup :smile:

Im not sure, as I've only had experience with student housing so doubt I could be much help there.

Not that I can think of, I currently live in the Kensington L7 area which is a lower class area. But wouldn't say it's crime ridden, just poor
Im not sure, as I've only had experience with student housing so doubt I could be much help there.

Not that I can think of, I currently live in the Kensington L7 area which is a lower class area. But wouldn't say it's crime ridden, just poor

Oh ok. Is Liverpool cheap enough that you can get your own studio/bedsit or do people usually flat share like they do in London?

I don't mind if an area's poor or not, live in one in Bristol haha. So long as its safe :tongue:
Oh ok. Is Liverpool cheap enough that you can get your own studio/bedsit or do people usually flat share like they do in London?

I don't mind if an area's poor or not, live in one in Bristol haha. So long as its safe :tongue:

There are some affordable 1 bed flats, but I think most people flat/ houseshate.

I've found it safe :smile:
There are some affordable 1 bed flats, but I think most people flat/ houseshate.

I've found it safe :smile:

Reply 10
Have a warm jacket
I lived in Wavertree and in Kensington.

Just a heads up about Wavertree, L15 area, it is a student area. That means not only is it brilliant if you are a student, but as the locals know it too, there are a fair few break ins there. Be smart with your place. Don't leave pizza boxes lying everywhere, make sure windows are shut, don't leave valuables easily seen in the window, etc. Basically, don't draw attention to yourself!
Original post by claret_n_blue
I lived in Wavertree and in Kensington.

Just a heads up about Wavertree, L15 area, it is a student area. That means not only is it brilliant if you are a student, but as the locals know it too, there are a fair few break ins there. Be smart with your place. Don't leave pizza boxes lying everywhere, make sure windows are shut, don't leave valuables easily seen in the window, etc. Basically, don't draw attention to yourself!

Thanks, will do :yep:

Are there any affordable areas where I wouldn't have to worry about that? Will try to ensure safety anyway ofc
Original post by CASWGU
Have a warm jacket

Is it very cold in winter?
I don't know if racism is a problem as I haven't lived there (though I know the city fairly well), but I wouldn't describe Liverpool as multicultural as such. It's largely white, much more so than other main cities. I don't really think there'll be any bother in that respect though, and I have found Liverpudlians to be friendly on the whole.
Reply 15
Is it very cold in winter?

Yes, right on the coast. It's roughly 6 degrees colder than London and the South East and with added wind-chill, it can sometimes be a couple of degrees colder.

Where are you moving from?

I lived in Liverpool for a time, it's quite cold compared to the South
Original post by mogwai98
I don't know if racism is a problem as I haven't lived there (though I know the city fairly well), but I wouldn't describe Liverpool as multicultural as such. It's largely white, much more so than other main cities. I don't really think there'll be any bother in that respect though, and I have found Liverpudlians to be friendly on the whole.

More so than say Manchester or Edinburgh?

Yeah they do seem friendly :smile:

CASWGU
Yes, right on the coast. It's roughly 6 degrees colder than London and the South East and with added wind-chill, it can sometimes be a couple of degrees colder.

Where are you moving from?

I lived in Liverpool for a time, it's quite cold compared to the South

Bristol, which is quite warm :colondollar:
Reply 17

Bristol, which is quite warm :colondollar:

Liverpool isn't racist, it's just not as multicultural. That is in large part due to Liverpool as a place. Not many move there and not many people leave there, so anyone moving there who is a minority will be easily identifiable.

But it'll only be an issue if you make it an issue. I've found them to be largely friendly and the ones who aren't will be the very poor underclass.
I would avoid Walton and Bootle, having lived and know people who still live in both those areas I would advise against the areas plus Walton specifically has a few bigger gangs :smile:
Liverpool is a nice place and I've lived there my whole life (only 17 but) and have only been victim to 1 crime which was a break in where only a wallet was taken, and that was in Walton :')

I checked Wikipedia and apparently it's roughly 90% White vs 66% (Manchester), which doesn't surprise me. I don't think you need to worry, just thought I'd mention it as you described the city as multicultural.

Quick Reply

Latest