The Student Room Group

A2 English Lit Coursework - Own Choice - Gay Fiction

Hi all, for this years A2 English Lit coursework I've been given the option of choosing any three texts to base my coursework on, centred around a topic that is also of my choosing. My teacher and I have, through a series of conversations, decided that it might be interesting for me to centre my coursework around a study of gay fiction; likely using Jeanette Winterson's Oranges Are Not the Only Fruit as my central text. Other texts I have considered include Brokeback Mountain, The Well of Loneliness and The Miseducation of Cameron Post.

However, I'm still pondering what the theme of my coursework should be. So my question to you, my fellow TSR-Dwellers, is this: have you any suggestions for either a theme or any other texts I could consider.

Thanks in advance,

Cal.
Hi :smile:

If you're looking at Oranges Are Not The Only Fruit, have you thought about maybe doing a comparison with some of her other work?? Written on her Body is another fantastic book by Jeanette Winterson. And you could look on the representation on gender in connection to sexuality. (The protagonist in Written on the Body has no gender- so isn't necessarily a queer character which could be an interesting angle?).

I'd personally stay away from comparing Hall and Winterson, just because it's a bit obvious. (Although you'd be able to find loads on the topic- so maybe it wouldn't be such a bad idea).

Or maybe look at Christopher and his kind (by Christopher Isherwood)- as it's also an autobiographical narrative so would be a good comparison to Oranges.

Good luck whatever you choose!:h:
Reply 2
Thanks for your reply, and I'll make sure to look into the books you mentioned. Written on the Body sounds particularly promising, as I think it might work well with Jeffrey Eugenides' Middlesex, a particular favourite of mine. Once again, thanks!
(edited 8 years ago)
Ooh, I haven't heard of Middlesex- Just looked it up, sounds really interesting! It's now on my to-read list :biggrin:
Original post by Callum2288
Hi all, for this years A2 English Lit coursework I've been given the option of choosing any three texts to base my coursework on, centred around a topic that is also of my choosing. My teacher and I have, through a series of conversations, decided that it might be interesting for me to centre my coursework around a study of gay fiction; likely using Jeanette Winterson's Oranges Are Not the Only Fruit as my central text. Other texts I have considered include Brokeback Mountain, The Well of Loneliness and The Miseducation of Cameron Post.

However, I'm still pondering what the theme of my coursework should be. So my question to you, my fellow TSR-Dwellers, is this: have you any suggestions for either a theme or any other texts I could consider.

Thanks in advance,

Cal.

I like the way you think!

Are you choosing obvious texts that deals with the struggle of identity through homosexuality? If you are then your texts sounds like a good choice! (Have you read Brokeback Mountain? I have to read it for uni in Sept! Loved the film, so emosh?!)

If you're looking for some more perhaps harder/intellectual texts that isn't obvious in the homosexuality department, but many literary critics have argued on this point are texts like Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet, Merchant of Venice and Othello. You can also do Wilde's Dorian Gray (looove this novel).

You can do dramas like Angels in America by Kushner or The Judas Kills by Hare. Angels in America is particularly fascinating as it comes into conflict with the morality of HIV and AIDS epidemic during the 1980s in America, situating itself in New York. It's a fabulous play!

A particular prose novel of mine that I like is Maurice by EM Forster. Written in the early/mid 20th century but wasn't published until the 70s because before then it was illegal to be a homosexual and it wasn't published until after the death of Forster. So, it would be an interesting take in terms of the social and historical element surrounding the text.

You could aslo try Enduring Love my McEwan, it's where a man suddenly becomes obsessed with another man because he has a mental health disorder and everything ends up in certain death!

A lot of WW1 novels and plays address the taboo of homosexuality and male bondness, especially in the trenches Pat Barker's Regeneration is a good one. Also The Eye in the Door as a good gay scene exchange that's very alluring but so ambivalent too. Not About Heroes by McDonald also looks at the love between Sassoon and Tennyson whilst treating Sassoon for shellshock. (I might have got the latter poet wrong, but defo Sassoon is in there).

You could surround your essay on the idea of "explore the way the male protagonists are conflicted for their feelings" or "explore the way characters are conflicted between society's ruling and their own feelings" or "In the times of 1914-1960, it was illegal to be gay. In light of this statement, how do these texts reflect the time period in which they were written". or even "examine the ways the authors present a form of crisis in terms of the struggle for identity".

Hope I've given you some pointers to jet-fuel your coursework! I'd love to read it when it's all done too!

I'm thinking about doing gay-ficiton for my dissertation one day!

Quick Reply

Latest