The Student Room Group

Article: Meningitis: learn to spot the signs and symptoms

Poll

Have you had your meningitis ACWY vaccination?

You may be seeing/hearing publicity about the need for new Uni students to get a meningitis vaccination before they start Uni - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-33736761

It has *always* been advisable for new students to get a meningitis vaccination.They are just pushing it now as there hasn't been a big number of cases in recent years and people get complacent and stop bothering. Same goes for measles and mumps vaccinations. Go see your doctor and get this done *now* - don't wait for Results Day.

Scroll to see replies

You can read the article to find out more, and learn how to identify the signs and symptoms of meningitis here. It's important you learn to recognise these as meningitis can be fatal if not treated quickly.

Meningitis caused by Men W is on the rise in the UK. All teenagers, sixth formers and students are now being encouraged to get the Men ACWY vaccination which protects against four causes of Meningitis.
(edited 8 years ago)
They're recommending 2 weeks or more before the start of term so given Scottish early starts aim for around the 20th August?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by PQ
Another featured article topic?

They're recommending 2 weeks or more before the start of term so given Scottish early starts aim for around the 20th August?

Haha! I tweeted about this today with a plan to create a guide tomorrow :smile:

:five:
I would highly recommend getting a meningitis vaccine.

Meningitis can kill you REALLY quickly, even if you don't have any underlying health problems. Not long after the start of this academic year a fresher at my university was fit and well enough to go on a night out. By the following evening he was dead, killed by meningitis.

It's really not worth the risk of not having a meningitis vaccine.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Trust me, you don't want meningitis. I had it when I was 2 - took less than 24 hours for me to be hospitalised. I was on life support for five days and I'm lucky to have not lost any limbs. My body is covered in scars from it. The scars don't bother me because I know how lucky I was - please don't take the risk. If you're offered the vaccine, take it. I had my boosters a couple of months ago :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Doesn't hurt as bad as you think :smile: the tiny pinch is worth the benefits.
How many current applicants are vaccinated already?
Reply 8
I am getting this done without a doubt.
Reply 9
Is there actually any way to get this vaccine if I don't meet the requirements? I am returning back to full time education in September, but I will be 19 not 18.

And I won't be in uni for 2 years so eh.
Original post by Inexorably
Is there actually any way to get this vaccine if I don't meet the requirements? I am returning back to full time education in September, but I will be 19 not 18.

And I won't be in uni for 2 years so eh.

You are eligible - see meningitis W section http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Meningitis/Pages/Prevention.aspx

Just tell your GP that you're starting uni and I'm sure they'll be happy to sort you out.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Origami Bullets
You are eligible - see meningitis W section http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Meningitis/Pages/Prevention.aspx

Just tell your GP that you're starting uni and I'm sure they'll be happy to sort you out.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh no no my apologies I meant college not uni :tongue: I won't be in uni for another 2 years haha :frown:
Original post by Inexorably
Oh no no my apologies I meant college not uni :tongue: I won't be in uni for another 2 years haha :frown:

You are still eligible. Anyone who's between 18 and 25 can get it according to what I read. :smile:
All *new* students under the age of 25 are eligible.

17 & 18 years olds will get a letter from their doctor.
Other *new* students should contact their doctor themselves.
Original post by returnmigrant
All *new* students under the age of 25 are eligible.

17 & 18 years olds will get a letter from their doctor.
Other *new* students should contact their doctor themselves.

I think you are also advised to get a flu jab too - as *freshers flu" isn't just a myth - i remember seeing it on one of the university websites.
Just curious (as a 33 year old starting uni this September)... does anyone know why you are only eligible for the vaccine if you are a new student under 25? Are over 25s less susceptible?
[QUOTE="lauren1981;58129425"]Just curious (as a 33 year old starting uni this September)... does anyone know why you are only eligible for the vaccine if you are a new student under 25? Are over 25s less susceptible?[/QUOTE

Probably to do with cost - you can pay privately for your GP to give you the flu and meningitis jab though.
And yes, older than 25 are less vulnerable. Its partly physiological (built up immunity) and also lifestyle (over 25s are less likely to live in Halls/close contact).
What if youre a social recluse and will not be staying in halls

Should i still get it or nah

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Haraam police
What if youre a social recluse and will not be staying in halls

Should i still get it or nah

Yes.
Do you really want to die in your first term at Uni?

Quick Reply