The Student Room Group

why are you single?

I'm single because I'm overweight and because I'm gay and there aren't many gay people where I'm from :frown:

Scroll to see replies

Because being in a relationship when you're just about to enter sixth form distracts you from your studies. Well, that applies to me at least, not sure about others.
Reply 2
Because I'm terrified of opening myself up to people in a romantic way, in case it all turns out to be a practical joke or something lmao

Posted from TSR Mobile
you want an essay? :lol:
Because I don't know any women in person.
Original post by william walker
Because I don't know any women in person.

none at all? :frown:
Original post by Anonymous
I'm single because I'm overweight and because I'm gay and there aren't many gay people where I'm from :frown:

And where are you from, if you dont mind me asking?
being in a relationship seems like effort and too much commitment
Reply 8
Original post by Thorley Jynx
And where are you from, if you dont mind me asking?

hmm, well it's a small middle class town in the south. I probably shouldn't disclose any more
There's no time for it, it really is a distraction in sixth form. Especially when it could be someone from sixth form who may interest you which will complicate things because after two years, you're at different environments meeting new people. I've said to myself after sixth form so university, I will be open to relationships and dating but for now, it's on hold. But I could say all of this now then outside of school meet an amazing guy...lol whatever happens, happens
I haven't met anyone I click with yet and my last relationship has left me with trust issues.
1. I'm tired of meeting women who believe the entire world revolves around their feelings. I've started dating older women and the difference is like night and day.

2. I literally have no intention to get married - ever. It's bizarre because to many I'm precisely the settled, confident, trustworthy type - the type who would gladly settle down and have kids. In reality, I believe 5 decades worth of gender feminism has destroyed relations between men and women that it's difficult to know what a guy's role is in a relationship. Many women often complain about their boyfriends, and everything they do wrong - really, I think rather than wanting a better boyfriend, they just want a better girlfriend. That's not me. I don't want to date a quasi-male, and that's what a lot of western women have turned into.

3. In a relationship where things are supposed to be 'equal', I'm tired of women valuing me purely for my utility.

4. I don't believe in love. That, to some, is quite depressing, however I just view love as the manifestation of self-interest. We're told it's supposed to be something more than self-interest, but that's all it is - I'm a bit tired of the fallacy. Guys usually want to be with girls to secure access to regular sex, if a girl were to remove the sex 'love' would be a secondary consideration. Girls often want to be with guys for a multitude of reasons, however you'll rarely ever find a girl who wants to be with an unemployed man - more often than not, as a guy in a relationship, you will be valued for your utility above all else.

This tells me that despite what John Lennon said - 'all we need is love' - all we really need is employment and sex. Love is never enough to sustain a relationship in the absence of the facilitation of self-interest (sex, security and employment). Ergo, it's a picturesque fallacy.

5. Legislation around domestic violence and rape and sexual assault truly terrifies me. I've also witnessed far too many women making up false allegations about rape or sexual assault and treating it as a euphemism for 'regrettable sex.' Legally, a guy needs to account for a girl's continuous consent - she can say that at a specified during the act she simply 'withdrew' consent.

This puts the burden of proof on the male to the point the only way to demonstrate his innocence is a video recording of each and every sexual encounter. It's now at the stage where if you have sex with a girl while she is drunk, it can legally be classified as rape. Needless to say, such a standard doesn't operate in the other direction (girls having sex with drunk guys). Needless to say, a girl will be held to account for her actions behind the wheel of a car when intoxicated but not in the face of 'evil masculinity.'
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Anonymous
hmm, well it's a small middle class town in the south. I probably shouldn't disclose any more

Thats OK, you dont have to :smile:

I come from a small middle class town in the south also! Its a truly terrible place - so normal. It was so good to get away and move to Leeds when I was 21. I'm back in the south now for a bit but am hoping to move to the West Midlands before too long.

I met my partner on a free online dating website. He's overweight and bisexual :smile:
The one guy who I like who I know likes me enough to be in a relationship goes to my school. We'd be a really idiosyncratic couple and I think we'd both get teased a lot.

I struggle to trust men, largely because of my own issues but also because of past encounters

I'd miss 'the chase' too much- I don't think the mundanity of being tied down is for me right now, especially when I have a couple of fwb-ish relationships going on at the moment

I'm too torn up over a past relationship to be happy enough with myself to not be insecure in a relationship again. I need to work on myself before I can try that again.
Reply 14
About to go to university. At least, that's the excuse I use to help my self esteem.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by picklescamp

I'd miss 'the chase' too much- I don't think the mundanity of being tied down is for me right now, especially when I have a couple of fwb-ish relationships going on at the moment.

Life won't wait for you, nor will the right guy. You could meet him at 16, you could meet him at 25 - 'not being ready' is usually the mistake people regret most in life.
I'm ready for a relationship-just need to find the right girl. I'm hoping going to university will provide great opportunities for dating. Before then, I was single because I decided to focus on my A-levels studies after ending a relationship at the start of Year 11.
Last two girlfriends cheated on me. Which has given me some slight trust issues
Because no one likes me :sad:
I'm fugly and people don't like hanging out with me

Quick Reply