The Student Room Group

Only 16 Universities in clearing???

Ok, so I'm 90% i'm going to go through clearing and the Uni's that were available for clearing are available on the UCAS website today. So I was expecting there to be loads of spaces available but it turns out there's only 16?WTF! I'm still not fully sure how clearing works but are these the only places available for clearing? Or will more be announced in the next few days or after results day?

Scroll to see replies

Maybe the number will rise on August 13th?
those are Scottish unis
Original post by NirvanaGriff
Ok, so I'm 90% i'm going to go through clearing and the Uni's that were available for clearing are available on the UCAS website today. So I was expecting there to be loads of spaces available but it turns out there's only 16?WTF! I'm still not fully sure how clearing works but are these the only places available for clearing? Or will more be announced in the next few days or after results day?

The universities don't have the exam results yet, so they can't know how many people have failed to make their offers and therefore they can't post courses in clearing that they don't know aren't full. In addition, it is only Scottish universities which are in the position of knowing that information at the moment.
It was results day in Scotland today so Scottish unis have released their clearing vacancies as Scottish applicants now know their results :smile:
Uk clearing opens again the day before results day
Original post by Coconut-drizzle
Uk clearing opens again the day before results day

6 pm, in fact, just to ensure nobody's panicking during the day when nothing's changed.
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
6 pm, in fact, just to ensure nobody's panicking during the day when nothing's changed.

Oo thanks!! Didn't know the actual timining 😁😁
Original post by Coconut-drizzle
Oo thanks!! Didn't know the actual timining 😁😁

Until then many universities have their vacancies on their websites: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3467547&p=57938909#post57938909

Hi NirvanaGriff

Many universities at the moment will be advertising places on courses where the number of offers that have been made is lower than the places available on the course.

On the 13th, when the A-Level results are released, more places may open up on clearing due to people not meeting the required grades.

I would recommending regularly checking the websites of universities you may be interested in and also UCAS which is updated regularly.

A list of courses we have available through clearing can be found here and you can call us on 0300 330 0755 to find out more information and reserve your place.

I hope this helps and if you have any questions, please ask!

Robert

Heya - don't panic just yet :smile: Not all clearing places will have been announced on UCAS. What course will you be applying for? Check out the early clearing vacancies list on TSR as that's got loads of courses which universities are advertising on their websites. :h:

On results day you need to phone up universities to speak to them and see if they offer you a place through Clearing over the phone. It's a good idea to start researching what courses/unis you're interested in now so that you're ready to phone up universities on results day. If you've gone into Clearing you'll be given a Clearing number so make sure you've got that to hand when you call up, as well as your other details.

It's also a good idea to get ready with a list of questions you know you want to ask the university, and make notes when you speak to them. It will be fairly informal but you'll still need to tell them why you want to study that course :smile: Whatever you do don't try to add an option through clearing if you haven't been given a verbal offer over the phone first (!).

I hope that helps explain how it works a bit more :h: Let me know if you're still confused about anything :smile:

Katie
Thanks people for replying, you would think that I would of noticed that they were all Scottish Uni's :tongue:haha
Thanks people for replying, you would think that I would of noticed that they were all Scottish Uni's :tongue:haha

No worries, there's a lot going on at this time of year so it's understandable you were worried! Good luck with everything :smile: Hopefully you'll get your grades, but start doing your research now if you think you'll be in clearing :smile:
The universities don't have the exam results yet, so they can't know how many people have failed to make their offers and therefore they can't post courses in clearing that they don't know aren't full. In addition, it is only Scottish universities which are in the position of knowing that information at the moment.

Actually they will have your exam results by now
Original post by howitoughttobe

No

We get A level results on Friday night (and Irish leaving certs on Monday).
Original post by PQ
No

We get A level results on Friday night (and Irish leaving certs on Monday).

Fair enough, I knew it was about a week before results day. I meant more that they got the results before the students did.

No, they don't. Friday.
No, they don't. Friday.

Yes I know, see my post above
Yes I know, see my post above

I always like to reply to quotes.
I always like to reply to quotes.

Do you?