The Student Room Group

Traditional Chinese food sucks tbh

Believe it or not the stuff you get at Chinese takeaway isnt the food they eat in China it was specifically created for Brits to feel cultral whilst still eating plates of grease. Traditional food however is pretty bland all that you can choose from is rice, a few types of noodles cooked in different ways, and some crap called houfun which is basically wet pasta.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Correct. In Hong Kong the traditional restaurants serve the same things no matter what the name of the traditional restaurant is. However there are also loads of non traditional restaurants, cafes so you can never be bored

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
None of this is accurate. Some, not all of the food at Chinese takeaways is unoriginal- some are just minor adaptations from the real thing, and some are totally authentic. Secondly, China has 657 cities, 1.3billion people, several provinces, and 56 different ethnic groups, whilst also being one of the largest nations and the oldest continuous civilisation. Therefore Chinese cuisine is vast, varied, diverse and consists of far more than what you have mentioned, and whilst some of it fits your description, a lot does not.
Reply 3
Original post by alex99981
None of this is accurate. Some, not all of the food at Chinese takeaways is unoriginal- some are just minor adaptations from the real thing, and some are totally authentic. Secondly, China has 657 cities, 1.3billion people, several provinces, and 56 different ethnic groups, whilst also being one of the largest nations and the oldest continuous civilisation. Therefore Chinese cuisine is vast, varied, diverse and consists of far more than what you have mentioned, and whilst some of it fits your description, a lot does not.

They all eat the same thing more or less, rice with salt, rice with pepper and plain rice are still all just rice.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Crispy beef fam
Original post by Killa Kam
They all eat the same thing more or less, rice with salt, rice with pepper and plain rice are still all just rice.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not true. For example, wheat is consumed as the base ingredient for foods, far more than rice in the North, where rice is not grown in great quantities, whereas in the South, rice is a more prominent part of the usual cuisine. In Sichuan, food is extremely spicy, whereas in the North and North East it is of a far more mild character. Food in Xinjiang is extremely different to food in China proper. In Hong Kong, dim sum is a major feature of life, whereas it is extremely difficult to find in Beijing.
Reply 7
Not true. For example, wheat is consumed as the base ingredient for foods, far more than rice in the North, where rice is not grown in great quantities, whereas in the South, rice is a more prominent part of the usual cuisine. In Sichuan, food is extremely spicy, whereas in the North and North East it is of a far more mild character. Food in Xinjiang is extremely different to food in China proper. In Hong Kong, dim sum is a major feature of life, whereas it is extremely difficult to find in Beijing.

You have never been to China.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8

You win this thread :smile:.

My Mum's friend went to China for five months for her degree in Chinese Medicine, and she said that the food there had less of a sweet taste, and much more variation in salty/spicy/herby flavours. It is also generally 'drier' than what you get at a takeaway, according to her. I don't know which region of the country she went to, though.
Reply 9
I've never been to China, but a lot of people usually aren't eating the traditional foods of their country.

Its like people assume all we eat is bangers and mash, fish and chips and tea and crumpets here.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by VannR
You win this thread :smile:.

My Mum's friend went to China for five months for her degree in Chinese Medicine, and she said that the food there had less of a sweet taste, and much more variation in salty/spicy/herby flavours. It is also generally 'drier' than what you get at a takeaway, according to her. I don't know which region of the country she went to, though.

Oh wow so I will take her word and yours as gospel. Mods close this.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11

Posted from TSR Mobile

Who shook your bloody cage? Calm down.
Most of the food here in Britain is of Cantonese cuisine. Which is completely different to Beijing food...which js horrible!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Original post by VannR
Who shook your bloody cage? Calm down.

Lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
We need an authentic Chinese person to confirm that I am right.

Posted from TSR Mobile
You have never been to China.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have. Twice. For extended durations.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You should take someone's word, because yours is incredibly mistaken.
We need an authentic Chinese person to confirm that I am right.

Posted from TSR Mobile

We can't treat someone like some sort of representative for a whole huge diverse country! China is huge.

Why don't you go to China yourself? Go to Hong Kong even?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
Original post by datpiff
We can't treat someone like some sort of representative for a whole huge diverse country! China is huge.

Why don't you go to China yourself? Go to Hong Kong even?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lived there for 8 yrs

S.A.F

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest