The Student Room Group

Can I get into a top uni with a vocational course in I.T?

Originally I was definite on doing A Levels, however, I've come to find out that my school offers a vocational course in I.T.
This caught my attention straight away since I've always been interested in software development and anything tech related; so now I'm struggling on which one to take.
I know that vocational courses have a reputation of 'stupid' people taking it and honestly, I've not yet heard of anyone actually getting into a good university with one. That's why I'm scared.
It's always been my dream to get into a good uni, hopefully Imperial or Oxbridge . So my question is, will I have a chance? If I do end up taking I.T would taking Maths and Further Maths A Levels along side it increase my chances?

To be honest, the main reason why I want to take I.T, apart from going into the programming route, is because they're going to be teaching some programming languages.

Please help! A Levels or Vocational?
Original post by sucull
Originally I was definite on doing A Levels, however, I've come to find out that my school offers a vocational course in I.T.
This caught my attention straight away since I've always been interested in software development and anything tech related; so now I'm struggling on which one to take.
I know that vocational courses have a reputation of 'stupid' people taking it and honestly, I've not yet heard of anyone actually getting into a good university with one. That's why I'm scared.
It's always been my dream to get into a good uni, hopefully Imperial or Oxbridge . So my question is, will I have a chance? If I do end up taking I.T would taking Maths and Further Maths A Levels along side it increase my chances?

To be honest, the main reason why I want to take I.T, apart from going into the programming route, is because they're going to be teaching some programming languages.

Please help! A Levels or Vocational?

If you want to go to Imp/Oxbridge for the love of god do NOT take any vocational subjects...stick to the traditional solid ones.
I'm at Imperial now and if you want to go then you really have to stick to the traditional A-Levels (even the I.T. A-Level isn't looked well upon). I'm not doing Computing, but I have a friend who does and he says it's very mathematical so sticking with something like Maths, Further Maths, Economics/any science would be best.

However, having if you can do three 'hard' A Levels as well as the vocational course it would look very good. That way you meet the standard requirements and you have the bonus of having experience from the course.

You have to think about what you're best at and what you would enjoy more though. If you don't think you can do three A Levels and the vocational course, but you really want to do it and don't feel confident in getting the grades in the A Levels that you'd need, then take the vocational course. You need to enjoy what you're doing! Maybe you won't get into a 'top' university, but if you make yourself miserable by doing something you hate you aren't going to enjoy (or do well at!) a 'top' university.

Quick Reply

Latest