The Student Room Group

BPTC information please.

Hi everyone!

I recently graduated with a 2:2 and I want to do the BPTC. I know its very hard to gain pupillage but I am not planning to practice in the United Kingdom but another country where I have a good chance of gaining employment.

I have few questions after seeing peoples post regarding BPTC.

Firstly, is the BPTC hard like how hard is it when compared to the LLB?
Also, do you have to get 60% in some modules to pass it or is it just some Law Schools, such as City Law School, who implement this rule?

Any help would be appreciated!

Thank you:smile:
Reply 1
The BPTC is nothing like the LLB. A law degree is a course of academic study, whereas the BPTC is vocational. They cannot be compared in terms of how 'hard' they are, as they are very different.

Yes, you need 60% on every module on the course, at every provider.

Succeeding on the BPTC will take good organisation and time management to get through the reading each week, and a system for revising and retaining all that information, to ensure you don't fail the centrally set assessments, as so many do each year.
Reply 2
Firstly, thanks for your reply!

So what your trying to say is that the BPTC is mor practical rather than more academic?

I don't really mind exams it's just assignments because in exams I know what to revise and how much to revise. Assignments I would say are my weakpoint because I've always struggled to analyse stuff but don't get me wrong, I did gain 2:1 in certain assignments in my degree.
Reply 3
Yes, that is what I am saying. It isn't academic at all.

I'm not sure what you mean by assignments - I assume you mean coursework/dissertation as opposed to exams? I don't see how there is any difference in terms of analysing... surely you have to analyse the law (and/or the facts of a problem question) regardless of whether you are answering an exam question or writing a dissertation?

There are different types of assessment on the BPTC:

- Oral assessments, i.e. advocacy and conferencing
- Exam assessments made up of multiple choice and short answer questions (you have to achieve 60% on both sets of questions), i.e. ethics/redoc/civil litigation/criminal litigation
- Written assessments under exam conditions, i.e. opinion writing and drafting
Reply 4
Original post by Xanyi
Yes, that is what I am saying. It isn't academic at all.

I'm not sure what you mean by assignments - I assume you mean coursework/dissertation as opposed to exams? I don't see how there is any difference in terms of analysing... surely you have to analyse the law (and/or the facts of a problem question) regardless of whether you are answering an exam question or writing a dissertation?

There are different types of assessment on the BPTC:

- Oral assessments, i.e. advocacy and conferencing
- Exam assessments made up of multiple choice and short answer questions (you have to achieve 60% on both sets of questions), i.e. ethics/redoc/civil litigation/criminal litigation
- Written assessments under exam conditions, i.e. opinion writing and drafting

That's not that bad I guess!

What I meant by analysing stuff was that in coursework etc, you had to analyse stuff using different sources. Now I did that but was very bad a grammatical mistake. In exam, you just had to make a reasonable answer and hoped you remembered it which I was very good at.

I've basically got a year to prepare for th BPTC so is there any thing I should do in order to get a good grade in the BPTC?
Reply 5
Original post by ibbykhan19
That's not that bad I guess!

What I meant by analysing stuff was that in coursework etc, you had to analyse stuff using different sources. Now I did that but was very bad a grammatical mistake. In exam, you just had to make a reasonable answer and hoped you remembered it which I was very good at.

I've basically got a year to prepare for th BPTC so is there any thing I should do in order to get a good grade in the BPTC?

In my view there is very little you can do to prepare for the BPTC. Before starting, you could refresh your knowledge of the basic principles of tort and contract which will help with opinion writing and drafting.

I make the assumption that your language skills up to scratch. However, there were students on my course who, despite completing their LLB in this country, really struggled with the advocacy exercises as they lacked confidence and/or proficiency in their spoken English.
Reply 6
Original post by Xanyi
In my view there is very little you can do to prepare for the BPTC. Before starting, you could refresh your knowledge of the basic principles of tort and contract which will help with opinion writing and drafting.

I make the assumption that your language skills up to scratch. However, there were students on my course who, despite completing their LLB in this country, really struggled with the advocacy exercises as they lacked confidence and/or proficiency in their spoken English.

So basic stuff of contract law like offer and acceptance and same with tort law?

Hmm I mean I can speak decent English but I'm not sure whether it's up to the standard of the BPTC but I guess I have to practice and use technical words.

Also, I've seen a lot of people on here saying how hard the Civil and Criminal litigation, evidence and sentencing etc so are those modules very tough?

Thanks for helping me mate, really appreciated!
Reply 7
Hi all may I know if doing BPTC at UWE Law School is good please in terms course structure and teaching quality? Also, are the facilities good?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending