The Student Room Group

Is there really much point in buying expensive clothing do you think?

When walking down the street or wherever can many people really tell how much you paid for your clothing, as in whether it was expensive and from all saints/top shop or cheaper from asda or tesco? Would you say the look, style and colour of clothing is more important than the quality/how much you paid?

I don't know much about clothing quality but can you tell the difference in quality in something from tesco and something from top shop/river island?

Scroll to see replies

No, waste of money.

In my opinion.
Reply 2
Original post by ComputerMaths97
No, waste of money.

In my opinion.

It got me thinking as although expensive stuff is nice to have clothing looks worse and worse with all the washing anyway then has to be chucked after a while. I've come to the conclusion that it's more logical to buy expensive jeans and maybe wooly jumpers/cardigans/jackets that will last years but when it comes to t shirts and more flimsy stuff that looks bad after a few washes there's just no point in paying much for.
Is there any 'point' in buying anything more than the basics of anything?

The main differences if you're willing to spend more money are that you can get nicer/warmer materials and something that is better made and will last longer.
I much rather wear Primark clothes than designer clothes. I do have designer clothes but I'd feel awful if any of them got lost or ripped, but with primark clothes you don't really need to bother that much as it was cheap. (I've never ripped any clothes in my life).
Reply 5
Original post by TimmonaPortella
Is there any 'point' in buying anything more than the basics of anything?

The main differences if you're willing to spend more money are that you can get nicer/warmer materials and something that is better made and will last longer.

Would an expensive t shirt really last longer than one from primark though. Mens clothes tend to be thicker anyway so maybe it's different but I find that t shirts from most places tend to look worn after several washes. Then there's the worry of ripping and stains etc.

True it's the same predicament as with anything else really.
Original post by Redfrost
Would an expensive t shirt really last longer than one from primark though. Mens clothes tend to be thicker anyway so maybe it's different but I find that t shirts from most places tend to look worn after several washes. Then there's the worry of ripping and stains etc.

I've got some primark jeans that have lasted me around 4 years and they haven't got one stain or rip or anything on them, they still look brand new. As for t-shirts, I tend to avoid shirts that have those pictures ironed on (I think they look weird) but every other tshirt that I have has lasted longer than some of my designer shirts.

Where I am from, most boys wear sports direct and wear track suits (crime against fashion) and sure some people would say primark is also, but I find primark clothes more comfortable than designer.

The issue is same with beats, they aren't actually better than any other sound device, they're just branded so it's more expensive.

I dunno, t-shirts maybe not so much, although you might just prefer to wear cotton rather than synthetics, which you won't get at primark. But basically anything else the material can be important to looks as well as just to function -- I'd triple my spend to buy a woollen coat rather than a polyester one without a moment's hesitation as to whether it was a waste.

Original post by KingAuthor
The issue is same with beats, they aren't actually better than any other sound device, they're just branded so it's more expensive.
You just happen to have picked on a crap version of purportedly high end headphones. If you spend beats money on another brand you'll get something enormously better.
(edited 8 years ago)
Also got to put in the fact of money, some people may not have a lot to spare so it's best not to judge what people are wearing... At least they're not naked!
There's no point in paying for a brand name, but if it's better quality then it might be worth it. E.g. I'd rather pay £50 for Gap or Warehouse jeans than £10 for Primarni jeans because I know I'll be keeping those jeans for years and the Gap/Warehouse ones are much, much better quality than the Primarni ones. Same with cardigans and basics like that which I expect to last a minimum of 2 years with regular wear. Same even goes for shoes. I know Converses last about 10 years because I bought my first 3 pairs when I was about 9 or 10 and finally chucked 2 of them in late 2012/early 2013 when I was 18. I still have the third pair and it's in eeexcellent condition. :mmm:
Yep, if you can afford it go for it. For example say, Jaeger Jeans and George Jeans, Jaeger Jeans will last a lot longer, noticeably feel softer as they'll be made from far better materials, be more comfortable to wear and probably look nicer too. This isn't true for all cheaper clothes, I just picked Jeans because they're the clothes I notice the most difference in quality in :tongue:
Reply 11
The main difference I see from expensive clothes and just normal prices clothes is the brand. You can get the same quality of clothing without an 'expensive' brand for a lot less money. You just have to know what materials and stitching you are after. At the end of the day, seeing someone with a tiny logo on their t-shirt doesn't make me think 'Oh, that person must be rich!', no, anyone can afford a £100 t-shirt if they wanted it. My friends were saying I should buy a load of expensive branded clothes; whilst I could, I don't see the point. They said "Because people will know your loaded", that seems like such a stupid reason!

I buy quality clothes, but not well known brands just because I'm getting the same quality of clothing for 10x the price for a little logo or what not. Although, I would warrant spending a lot on a suit or any clothing made to fit that needs to be tailored. You can defiantly the difference of a £300 suit to a £1000 suit; they can last for 5-10 years if you take care of them!
Reply 12
Original post by kbkasey
The main difference I see from expensive clothes and just normal prices clothes is the brand. You can get the same quality of clothing without an 'expensive' brand for a lot less money. You just have to know what materials and stitching you are after. At the end of the day, seeing someone with a tiny logo on their t-shirt doesn't make me think 'Oh, that person must be rich!', no, anyone can afford a £100 t-shirt if they wanted it. My friends were saying I should buy a load of expensive branded clothes; whilst I could, I don't see the point. They said "Because people will know your loaded", that seems like such a stupid reason!

I buy quality clothes, but not well known brands just because I'm getting the same quality of clothing for 10x the price for a little logo or what not. Although, I would warrant spending a lot on a suit or any clothing made to fit that needs to be tailored. You can defiantly the difference of a £300 suit to a £1000 suit; they can last for 5-10 years if you take care of them!

Sounds like a good idea, what brands do you buy from that are quality but not so expensive? Do they do good womens clothing lol
Yes, there is, and it is just that they look much better. Apart from being made from better material, they almost always fit far better.

I don't know much about clothing quality but can you tell the difference in quality in something from tesco and something from top shop/river island?

Sort of? In my opinion the clothing quality is topshop > asos/zara > h&m > forever 21; and although they may all look nice from a distance but upon a closer look you can tell the difference in terms of how flimsy and how worn it is. Plus, there's also other factors like if the clothes are beaded or very detailed lace, if there's embroidery, if it looks like suede or jacquard as that makes the clothes more expensive looking/higher quality.

When walking down the street or wherever can many people really tell how much you paid for your clothing, as in whether it was expensive and from all saints/top shop or cheaper from asda or tesco?

Topshop is always on trend so there's a lot of pieces that fashion bloggers wear, such as these snakeskin shoes, as seen on x, x, x, x; so I suppose the average person interested in fashion may recognise? I also have some clothes from Zara that I could have never gotten in H&M. In their new collection (which I am lusting over) this piece and this one comes to mind. If I see someone wearing a really nice piece of clothing I can tell that it's probably not from Forever 21 or similar brands.

Would you say the look, style and colour of clothing is more important than the quality/how much you paid?

I feel like quality and style is dependent on each other, so both are as important.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 15
Sounds like a good idea, what brands do you buy from that are quality but not so expensive? Do they do good womens clothing lol

I almost exclusively shop at Asos; mainly buying the asos branded stuff. Not only is it cheap (sometimes), they use strong materials. Well at least compared to anything else I've worn. But then again, asos have the perfect size for me in tops (XXXS), so maybe I'm just being bias because they're one of the few clothing companies/brands that do my size in adult sizes.

Just checked my wardrobe, yep almost every single one of my clothes has an asos tag on them!

To answer your last question, I don't shop for women's clothing so ugh, maybe?! :biggrin:
Reply 16
Original post by kbkasey
I almost exclusively shop at Asos; mainly buying the asos branded stuff. Not only is it cheap (sometimes), they use strong materials. Well at least compared to anything else I've worn. But then again, asos have the perfect size for me in tops (XXXS), so maybe I'm just being bias because they're one of the few clothing companies/brands that do my size in adult sizes.

Just checked my wardrobe, yep almost every single one of my clothes has an asos tag on them!

To answer your last question, I don't shop for women's clothing so ugh, maybe?! :biggrin:

ASOS clothes are such good quality for the price. All my t-shirts, boxers, shorts, socks are bought from there. You can buy 5 tops for £24, whereas one Armani top costs £33!

Only products I spend more money on are jeans and coats/jackets. If you buy right these items can last years though so it is worth it.
A lot (but not all i admit) of more expensive clothes are a much netter quality. By this I mean they last longer in washing machines. My mum bought a cardigan in Zara seven years ago and it still looks almost new. And (although they aren't clothes I know) my dad treated himself with a really nice set of bedding thirty years ago and its still looking really good (even if the pattern is seriously eighties!).

But then there are some clothes that are expensive that arent a better quality. I saw a show (cant remember the name, but it was only on recently) where they compared levi jeans to tesco jeans and the levis fell apart much quicker than the tesco ones! So i guess its a judgement call really.
For normal clothing such except jackets there's little difference between cheap and expensive clothes.
For suits and smart clothing you can normally tell the difference between expensive and cheap, but the fit of the suit is more important anyway.
With sports clothing there's a big gulf between quality of cheap gear to expensive stuff, but again if the cheap stuff fits you better it'll still look an perform better than the expensive kit
Depends why its expensive. Some stuff is better quality, some stuff is just designer trash.

Quick Reply

Latest