The Student Room Group

is chinese education really better than british education?

Ur opinion.thanks
Judging by your spelling, I'm going to have to say yes.

Posted from TSR Mobile
My cousin in HK, same age as me, can solve Rubik cube and his maths is more superior than mine.

From the information I have given above I give the following conclusion without a second thought:

Chinese education better than British
You watched the documentary on BBC last night too? :tongue:

I think it's much better and I wouldn't mind being in an environment like that.
Original post by Proxenus
My cousin in HK, same age as me, can solve Rubik cube and his maths is more superior than mine.

From the information I have given above I give the following conclusion without a second thought:

Chinese education better than British

Is his English "more superior" as well?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I didn't see the documentary, but I go to a school with a lot of students from Hong Kong and China.
Generally, they excel in sciences and math but don't have the best grades in what I'd call 'arts'. They seem to prefer school here though. idk really. Lots of them complain about the way they take exams in Hong Kong, unsure about the mainland tho.
Original post by DiddyDec
Is his English "more superior" as well?

Posted from TSR Mobile

no but the younger generation know enough English to carry a convo as HK uni lectures speak in eng (like anywhere else I think)
In China you not only go to school you are also forced to attend additional tutoring and there is no fun in childhood.

They envy our problem solving skills and creativity.

I don't want that sort of schooling in Britain.
Nope not unless you want your child to be a robot like the poor chinese children
I think it's less about the education and more about the work ethic of the kids. Kids in the Chinese class are quiet, and teachers are able to get along with the lesson in a more effective way. Here, the syllabus is cut because there's so much disruption. The children complain they are "bored". It's education - it's not going to be fun or interactive all the time, it's not meant to be about blowing up chemicals 24/7 or cutting and sticking coloured paper on to a picture all day. It's awful because there's things in life your're not going to want to do but need to do, and will be asked to follow instructions without asking why. They need to learn that.

Chinese kids just want to learn and be educated, give them the content, they will absorb it.

British kids want to be entertained. If they are not interested in the subject, they won't do it.
edit.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by singleday
Ur opinion.thanks

Yes 100%.
Its more about the environment the kids grow up in.
We know, environment can affect genetics.
Put any kid in a similar environment to these HK kids and he will 100% improve academically.
HK kids are hard working, the people are well developed unlike the UK where you still have chavs spray painting walls.
You won't find any wall with graffiti in Hong Kong, kids simply don't do unnecessary things that won't help them in the future.
Everything the kids do is relevant to their goals, when i was there i seen a 7 year old kid answering his dads maths questions like 'what is 786 x 873'
And when everything you're doing is relevant, you are progressing hence succeeding.
Its not uncommon for kids to attend summer school to get extra tutoring.
People in HK generally walk fast, process information quickly, work quickly much quicker than the people in UK.
Travel network is second to none, very accurate times. If the sign says the bus arrives at 5:40pm it arrives at that time.
When have you ever experienced a bus on time in the UK?
Kids read books, play games on the train. And by the way, playing games is not bad. Many great game players have high IQ's, but it depends on what game you are playing. IQ measures processing speed of your brain.
i don't think so, studying life is extremely tensed in hong kong ;(
there are only about 20% of secondary graduates could be admitted to eight of the universities in hong kong and the places are really competitive, especially for the three famous universities(HKU and CUHK)
for the others who could not manage to pass or get a pleasing results in HKDSE(=GCE A LEVEL), their choices would be studying abroad, working, studying advanced diploma programme or associate degrees
hk is a discriminative and realistic place to be honest, most of the people (including employers) just judge a student simply by their results, which university or subjects they are studying to access their abilities
some students don't actually choose the subjects that they are interested in universities, but rather they depend on what marks they scored to determine their choices (or i should say life?)
that's the reason why hk students are mostly diligent as they would "lose" their lives if they scored badly in public exams, most of them are having tremendous pressures too, for not letting their parents or relatives down, for an easy life in future, for getting a good job and earn money...... or just simply getting a place in university (so whats the aim of getting the uni grad certificate?)
for the case of china, it is even more extreme
i did igcse(=gcse) this year as a private candidate in Hong Kong, and i think that british education could let people cultivate their capacities of minds, develop critical thinking skills, expressing ideas and let students think out of the box. as the exam questions don't require actual memorizations like what HK/China exam usually does. They are many open-minded questions in igcse, such as in one of the papers of environmental management, it asked "What comments do you have concerning using Nuclear energy, discuss?" However, if this question was set in China, it might become "Explain Nuclear energy, in XXXX words." I don't think memorising all the contents from books could help me to deal with my future at all, it is just guaranteeing me to obtain a pass in tests or examinations, paving for roads of later-life indirectly. Such spoon-fed phenomenon is very common in Hong Kong (except for international schools)
Maybe thats one of the reasons why HK students are disciplined, as they could just adapt the curriculums and study

SURVIVAL OF THE FITTEST :wink:
Original post by Zenarthra
Yes 100%.
Its more about the environment the kids grow up in.
We know, environment can affect genetics.
Put any kid in a similar environment to these HK kids and he will 100% improve academically.
HK kids are hard working, the people are well developed unlike the UK where you still have chavs spray painting walls.
You won't find any wall with graffiti in Hong Kong, kids simply don't do unnecessary things that won't help them in the future.
Everything the kids do is relevant to their goals, when i was there i seen a 7 year old kid answering his dads maths questions like 'what is 786 x 873'
And when everything you're doing is relevant, you are progressing hence succeeding.
Its not uncommon for kids to attend summer school to get extra tutoring.
People in HK generally walk fast, process information quickly, work quickly much quicker than the people in UK.
Travel network is second to none, very accurate times. If the sign says the bus arrives at 5:40pm it arrives at that time.
When have you ever experienced a bus on time in the UK?
Kids read books, play games on the train. And by the way, playing games is not bad. Many great game players have high IQ's, but it depends on what game you are playing. IQ measures processing speed of your brain.

Maybe if that environment is a dumping ground for radioactive material...even then I'm not sure, my biology is hazy when it comes to nuclear materials and DNA.

Quick Reply

Latest