The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I know there're not all from oxbridge, but there are some obviously.

"Of a sample of 45 Labour MP’s in the 1996 Parliament (the last era when the parties were fairly evenly balanced) only 3 had been to boarding school, and 6 to Oxbridge. More than half were ex-grammar school and even more were at non-Oxbridge Universities. For 55 Tory MP’s, the numbers for (British) boarding schools and for Oxbridge were 23 and 27 respectively. Curiously, the proportion not attending any University was the same (14%) for both parties.

Similarly, out of 23 members of Mr Blair’s Cabinet declaring a background, only 2 including the PM are ex-boarding school and 7 are ex-Oxbridge, while Mr Hague had respectively 5 and 11 out of 19 declarants in his Shadow Cabinet. "

But that wasn't the point I was trying to make, I'm not anti-oxbridge at all. In fact I would love to be able to go there, but it is a pipe dream for me. What I was trying to say was that not all MPs have a politics degree as it is not a vocational course it is academic. My point about PPE at oxford is that it is probably the most respected form of politics course to do and that is why a few MPs have done that. Btw I'm not applying for PPE at Oxford.
Reply 21
hey everyone! become a member of the northen irish assembly and you get payed bucket loads even though the government has been refusing to meet for years!
Reply 22
I'd like to do Postgrad study and then either teach at a University level, get involved in research, or get into broadcasting/journalism/writing of some sort.
Reply 23
mobbdeeprob
I believe I'm right in thinking that the basic salary for MEPs is £86,000 p.a.

Wrong. MEPs get paid the same amount as a member of their countries parliament - so, British MEPs get about £56,000 p.a. + benefits etc. I think it's the Italian MEPs who get paid the most, can't quite remember. Anyway, the fact of the matter is they do not get paid £86,000 p.a.

Latest

Trending

Trending