The Student Room Group

Physics without physics A level

Hey guys, I have been considering which modules in the natural sciences I would like to take if I make my offer, and I noticed that for the Physics option Cambridge specifies Maths A level, and EITHER physics OR further maths (including all three mechanics modules) as essential. Now, I was wondering if any of you knew anybody doing Part Ia Physics without having done physics A level. If so, how are they coping? And do you know if the university is happy to let students who have done all mechanics modules do Physics in their first year, or is it just something which is stated but never really applied?

The reason I'm asking is that I decided not to do Physics A level because I found the GCSE course extremely dull, and having looked through the A level syllabus, I didn't find it any better. But having found that I really enjoyed mechanics at school and listened to a few physics lectures online I reckon that I would enjoy physics as it is taught at university. I will of course email my college about this / discuss it with my DoS (again, dependent on me actually making my offer), but I just wanted to know what TSR opinions were on the topic.

Thanks in advance
I don't know how popular it is to do IA without the A Level but I wouldn't worry about it if I were you. Personally I feel like Further Maths prepared me better for the IA course than A Level Physics did, the IA course is much more mathematical than Physics A Level, much more like an A Level maths paper.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending