The Student Room Group

Have I been bumped by my "job"?

Basically at the beginning of July I applied for a job, right? A job which I supposedly was set to start on the 20th of July.

Due to there not being enough time an interview was unable to be arranged but I would take part in training.

I got the job and signed the digital contract via docusign.

I was told I would have to complete a Basic Disclosure before the 9th of July which in total cost me £98.50 and I would get the money back when I have first been paid.

So I had to fill out forms online which I all completed via TheCareerCatcher. I was then told I would have an arranged induction on the 27th July.

So obviously the 27th July came and I heard absolutely nothing from them.

So I've left countless emails to them, still no replies.

Called them only to be put on hold then told to leave a message. Called and emailed TheCareerCatchers and still nothing.

To this day I am baffled as to what is going on.

It seems as though the job is some sort of scam. Seemed so perfect too. What do I do?

Can I take this to court or something?

Scroll to see replies

No, you have not been 'dumped', you have been scammed and you shouldn't be surprised. There is no such thing as 'not enough time for an interview' and you would never be asked to pay anything just to sign up for a job...there is also no such thing as signing an employment contract online...

The job does not exist.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Some Bad Karma
Basically at the beginning of July I applied for a job, right? A job which I supposedly was set to start on the 20th of July.

Due to there not being enough time an interview was unable to be arranged but I would take part in training.

I got the job and signed the digital contract via docusign.

I was told I would have to complete a Basic Disclosure before the 9th of July which in total cost me £98.50 and I would get the money back when I have first been paid.

So I had to fill out forms online which I all completed via TheCareerCatcher. I was then told I would have an arranged induction on the 27th July.

So obviously the 27th July came and I heard absolutely nothing from them.

So I've left countless emails to them, still no replies.

Called them only to be put on hold then told to leave a message. Called and emailed TheCareerCatchers and still nothing.

To this day I am baffled as to what is going on.

It seems as though the job is some sort of scam. Seemed so perfect too. What do I do?

Can I take this to court or something?

I can almost guarantee that this was a scam did you do any background checks on the employer/company/business in question? The fact that they didn't insist on interviewing prior hiring you sends alarm bells. You'd assume they'd interview someone before hiring them to ensure that the candidate meets criteria for the job.
Reply 3
x

Taken from their FAQ:

Candidate FAQs

Q - How much does it cost?

A - We charge a 95 pounds sign up fee and then a low 19 pounds per month.

Q - Am I guaranteed a job?

A - 89% of candidates get offered positions by our employers in under two months, your chance of success is high.

So basically.. you paid them for membership with no guarantee of a job. It's a scam but it would seem a legitimate one as they make no promise of a guaranteed job.
Original post by driftawaay
No, you have not been 'dumped', you have been scammed and you shouldn't be surprised. There is no such thing as 'not enough time for an interview' and you would never be asked to pay anything just to sign up for a job...there is also no such thing as signing an employment contract online...

The job does not exist.

They said because a lot of people turned down the job offer. It was a babysitting job so I had to pay for a DBS check, as they said the Job Centre was unable to pay for us. I knew I was being bumped. But I'm confused because they have a legit website and I'm confused as to why they would go through all that trouble for £98.50. What do you say I do now?
Original post by Reue
Taken from their FAQ:

Candidate FAQs

Q - How much does it cost?

A - We charge a 95 pounds sign up fee and then a low 19 pounds per month.

Q - Am I guaranteed a job?

A - 89% of candidates get offered positions by our employers in under two months, your chance of success is high.

So basically.. you paid them for membership with no guarantee of a job. It's a scam but it would seem a legitimate one as they make no promise of a guaranteed job.

I didn't pay TheCareerCatchers anything. I did not find the job through them at all. I knew nothing of their existence. I think The Babysitters Club Ltd (My supposed job) are signed with them.
They said because a lot of people turned down the job offer. It was a babysitting job so I had to pay for a DBS check, as they said the Job Centre was unable to pay for us. I knew I was being bumped. But I'm confused because they have a legit website and I'm confused as to why they would go through all that trouble for £98.50. What do you say I do now?

They said the same thing to all the other people who sent them the money, there was no DBS check.

You cannot do anything, it was a scam. Dont send money to random people next time.
Original post by Black Cat
I can almost guarantee that this was a scam did you do any background checks on the employer/company/business in question? The fact that they didn't insist on interviewing prior hiring you sends alarm bells. You'd assume they'd interview someone before hiring them to ensure that the candidate meets criteria for the job.

I didn't think twice, I'm only 16 and it was my first job, well one I've applied for and got, supposedly.
Reply 8
I didn't pay TheCareerCatchers anything. I did not find the job through them at all. I knew nothing of their existence. I think The Babysitters Club Ltd (My supposed job) are signed with them.

So who did you pay?

Honey.... those two are the same 'company'.
Original post by driftawaay
Honey.... those two are the same 'company'.

I feel like crying I'm so confused. How do you know they're the same company?

I personally wouldn't use a website for DBS related issues that isn't a 'gov.uk' site.

I'm not sure if you'll be able to get your money back but right now I think your best bet is to speak to Citizens Advice and see what your rights are.

You've probably gathered this now but in future, research companies before you apply for jobs with them and never part with your money unless you understand fully why they are taking it and what is happening. I've never had to pay for a DBS upfront - it has always been taken from my wages. Also, it's probably best if you look for jobs with well known and trusted companies if you're not confident about researching little known companies.
Reply 13

No potential employer should ask you to request a DBS check yourself, indeed the DBS service wont allow individuals to apply directly themselves.

As you didn't pay any money to the agency or recruiting company, it seems as if they've just filled the role or no longer require you but can't be bothered to inform you as such.

The money you paid for the DBS went to an unrelated 3rd company which has presumably provided you with the requested service and so you would be unable to reclaim any money.
Original post by somethingbeautiful
I personally wouldn't use a website for DBS related issues that isn't a 'gov.uk' site.

I'm not sure if you'll be able to get your money back but right now I think your best bet is to speak to Citizens Advice and see what your rights are.

You've probably gathered this now but in future, research companies before you apply for jobs with them and never part with your money unless you understand fully why they are taking it and what is happening. I've never had to pay for a DBS upfront - it has always been taken from my wages. Also, it's probably best if you look for jobs with well known and trusted companies if you're not confident about researching little known companies.

Thankyou (and to other posters)

So do you think it was all a scam?
Reply 15
So do you think it was all a scam?

No, I don't think so. Just a poorly managed company.
Original post by Reue
No potential employer should ask you to request a DBS check yourself, indeed the DBS service wont allow individuals to apply directly themselves.

As you didn't pay any money to the agency or recruiting company, it seems as if they've just filled the role or no longer require you but can't be bothered to inform you as such.

The money you paid for the DBS went to an unrelated 3rd company which has presumably provided you with the requested service and so you would be unable to reclaim any money.

I'm finding it so hard to believe that I've been tricked.
Original post by Reue
No, I don't think so. Just a poorly managed company.

Can I press charges against them or anything?
Reply 18
I'm finding it so hard to believe that I've been tricked.

Again; I don't think you've been tricked as you haven't actually paid any money to the 'recruiting' company.
Reply 19
Can I press charges against them or anything?

No, you can't sue someone to give you a job.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending